GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,176 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Runebound (Second Edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Ronan of the Wild, we hardly knew ye rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Murphy
United States
Jamaica Plain
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A solo adventure using the base game 2nd edition rules along with the optional Travel hazards rule. Variants used: 1. Gameplay is 30 days(turns) long. 2. If the hero is killed the game is over. 3. Resolved encounters end a turn in the same manner as resolved challenges.

5 xp to level

Randomly drew Ronan of the Wild : Ranged: 3/2 Melee: 2/1 Magic 2/1 Life: 4 Stamina : 4Special Ability: After rolling movement dice, you may take 1 exhaustion to re-roll 1 die.

Day 1:
Before leaving Talamir, Ronan heard word that there was a Shield of Light available for 7g at the Market in Dawnsmoor. He decided to head south towards Dawnsmoor and see if he could find some battles that might net him enough gold to buy the shield.
Crossing the Blackwing Swamp he ran into an Atavax 9/0 16/3 10/0 2L. They can be deadly at close range so Ronan carefully kept his distance and hit the Atavax with a ranged attack netting him 2g.

Day 2:
Staying along the Flametail River, Ronan heard stories of an elven Hidden Treasure(end your turn in a forest space without an adventure counter and receive 3 gold) from some of the common folk he passed by. Things were looking up!

Day 3:
Ronan decdied to venture forward and look for the gold at a later time Moving South he ran into a Ghost Stag 12/0 12/1 9/1 3l. Needing only a 9 to hit and doing 2 damage in ranged combat, Ronan wasn't too concerned with the stag. The Stag, however proved quite elusive and it took 3 rounds of combat before Ronan was able to down the Stag. Ronan took two wounds during the battle but received another gold. He now just needed 1 more gold buy the sheild at Dawnsmoor.

Day 4: Forgetting about his wounds( I really did forget), Ronan explored on and the gods seemed to be with him. He ran into a preist of Kellos who handed him a potion of healing (Gift of the Gods)to help him on his quest.

Day 5: Ronan immediately used the potion to heal a wound and felt strong enough to head North a bit to secure 1 more gold. He ran into an Ambush 15/1 12/2 9/0 2L. Ronan failed the before combat test but still only needed one successful ranged attack to defeat the attackers. He failed in the first round taking one wound but successfully defended in melee. Again in the 2nd round Ronan did not hit in ranged taking another wound. Again he successfully defended in melee. With 3 wounds Ronan HAD to hit on his 3rd ranged attempt or he would be dead. A hit would kill his attackers and he could attempt to make it to Dawnsmoor to heal. Needing a 12 or more Ronan aimed and ....missed. 3 attempts to roll a 12 or more had failed and Ronan became the latest hero to fail to defeat Margath and his minions.

Well, pretty bad rolling again plagued me in this game. Of course my lapse in memory in forgetting about his wounds from day 3 led to him having one lless wound to work with in the last battle. Maybe one more round was all I needed to roll that 12. I never did get to use his special ability. I'm guessing that becomes more useful later on in the game as adventure counter become further apart.

I will say that I really like having the encounters count as a turn. Having the Hidden Treasure or Gift of the Gods encounters come up felt like I was on an adventure interacting with characters instead of just always drawing until I fight a challenge. I can see this maybe being different in a multi player game if one player kept drawing the encounters while the others were getting challenges but I think it works great in a solo game and add to the whole adventure experience. As a result though, you may have noticed that I now extended the game turn Limit to 30 days instead of 28. Hopefully one of these days I'll get my hero to the end of the game.

Next up...Spiritspeaker Mok
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report, Shawn! When you do finally take out Margath, I want to see a YouTube of the victory dance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report. Ambush is probably one of the most problematic Green encounters; there's no point in running from it, and bad rolls will see you die very easily.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manutebol wrote:
Crossing the Blackwing Swamp he ran into an Atavax 9/0 16/3 10/0 2L. They can be deadly at close range so Ronan carefully kept his distance and hit the Atavax with a ranged attack netting him 2g.

You seem to imply that Ronan never meleed with the Atavax, but how so? Ronan's ranged damage is only 1 and the Atavax has 2 life. It should have taken Ronan two successful ranged shots to kill it.

(edited for typo)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ruvion .
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is where Manu. tripped up: Ronan does 2 damage normally in the ranged phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Murphy
United States
Jamaica Plain
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Ronan does 2 damage with his ranged attack so he only needed 1 hit (a measly 6 or higher) to kill the Atavax. I listed it erroneously as 1 damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.