Thumb up
1 Posts

The Princes of Florence» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deleted User
msg tools
Jay, Greg and Nick had just completed a three-handed game of Puerto Rico, which Nick won by a slim margin. Pretty good, as it was just his second game of PR and Jay and Greg are vicious players. They had just cleared the table when I walked in. After the customary round of secret handshakes, we break out Princes of Florence.

The Princes of Florence [4P]

Nick and Greg are veteran gamers, but this would be their first encounter with the Prince of German Games. Jay had played before, being a victim in half the games of my winning streak. I gave my usual ten-minute story background and rules overview of the game, omitting any and all strategy tips. My final warning was that the game was a learning game, and that it wouldn't "count".

Greg got to start, and the first items taken were the builder and a prestige card. I then got my first jester for 700fl. Jay took a landscape as his freebie. Nick and Greg built buildings and played works first turn, sharing the 3PP award. Second turn netted me a second jester, this time at a pricier 1,000fl. Still too cheap. Builder, recruiter and landscape go to the other guys, who were looking at the game from a linear perspective. They clearly evaluated that game as needing to have all three components (building, landscape, freedom) to play a work. This also explained why Jay and I were the only ones buying personalities. Well, it's a learning game. Third turn finally sees someone else wresting the jester away (I was out of cash), so I got a cheap recruiter for 300fl. Everyone else had more than 10PP at this point, I was still stuck on zero. Of course, that's inconsequential in PoF. I take a landscape after the funnyman goes for 1,200fl, and I finally play my first work for cash. Greg and Nick finally figure out what I'm doing, and they start buying personalities. I had six personalities and a recruiter at this point, and the math figured that I could get one more recruiter and play eight works total (all my guys used forest, lake, travel and opinion). Yup, this was going to be a massacre. I put up a lab for 700fl. for later use. Since this was a learning game, Nick used bonus cards to get his last two works off, and Greg was unable to play two personalities. I completed all my works and finished 21PP ahead of the Nick, who picked the nuances of the game up quickly. Jay was third, and Greg was fourth.

Princes of Florence
Richard - 75
Nick - 54
Jay - 52
Greg - 48

Nick enjoyed the game, as did Jay. Greg felt that there were very limited paths to victory. I reminded him that it was his first play, and that there were several ways to skin this cat. PoF still didn't grab him as much as PR did, but he said that he'd play again just to try to kick my ass. That made me happy. Anything to get people interested in playing PoF regularly, even if it was just revenge. meeple
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.