GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,800 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
66 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42» Forums » News

Subject: And the next game will be... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Kwan
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you who don't follow the ConSimWorld Conflict of Heroes topic, Uwe advised us . . .

Quote:
Expansions

Ken,

We are continuing the Ostfront 1943-45 tentatively titled "Steel Rain". It will include airplanes (very cool), tigers, stugs, SU-152s, Katyusha rockets, and much more.

I will also be releasing nationality packs such Poland, Finland, Yugoslavia, Rumania, New Zealand, India, Philipines, etc. I will be asking players from the individual countries who are familiar with their country's history to participate in designing the scenarios for these troops.

Major countries such as France, Japan, England, and the USA will be represented in the core games.

Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Knight
New Zealand
Titirangi
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I will also be releasing nationality packs such Poland, Finland, Yugoslavia, Rumania, New Zealand, India, Philipines, etc. I will be asking players from the individual countries who are familiar with their country's history to participate in designing the scenarios for these troops.

Now that's cool! I'd love to see some NZ soldiers and scenarios. Oh, yeah - I guess I haven't actually got my base set yet blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Pausch
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Vietnam? I'm not crazy about the Eastfront thing at all.

Should have hold basegame in my hands by now. Online-Shop says will available on 2.November. Before it was the 31. July and then 18. August. I think they're playing a cruel gamezombie...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I as well would prefer a different theatre of war for the next base game. This will be my first "real" wargame, and I don't really want to buy more of the same if my wargame collection will remain small.

At the same time, it does look like a lot of new things will get added to the next one (I'm quite interested to see how planes will be implemented) and wouldn't be surprised if I pick up the second one too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
As impressive as CoH is, do you really think Uwe is just going to package more of the same?

I like Uwe's plan to study tactical experience and learning through a time period. I think the next chapter of the Eastern Front will be a very different game than the initial battles in 41-42.

What really strikes me as cool about the CoH series is the way that it seems to blend Euro style quality with wargame detail while at the same time simple rules and a learning study of the tactics of the period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Nott
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Malacandra wrote:
As impressive as CoH is, do you really think Uwe is just going to package more of the same?

I like Uwe's plan to study tactical experience and learning through a time period. I think the next chapter of the Eastern Front will be a very different game than the initial battles in 41-42.

What really strikes me as cool about the CoH series is the way that it seems to blend Euro style quality with wargame detail while at the same time simple rules and a learning study of the tactics of the period.

Indeed the Conflict was very different - there is a reason wargame developers often split the two time periods. It's not just an arbitrary decision, though certainly i'm sure it helps from a financial perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this game and Uwe seems like a really nice guy (only met him once) but going back to the exact same well after a $70.00 game seems crazy to me. Oh well, not my company
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LEHaskell wrote:

(As an aside: you know, as much grief as there has been about the series title, I gotta say that the game title, Awakening the Bear, is one of the most evocative I've heard.

I completely agree. There may have been grief from a few people about the title, but overall I think it is quite catchy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCollector wrote:
I like this game and Uwe seems like a really nice guy (only met him once) but going back to the exact same well after a $70.00 game seems crazy to me. Oh well, not my company

What part of "not the same well" didn't you get? The game is going to be vastly different just as the real war was vastly different: in terms of technology and tactics and everything else. Just because it's the same front of the war doesn't mean it will at all be the same game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Makes me wonder what the next title will be? Mauling the Hun?

If had to make a guess, I'd throw out something like Steel Rain. But that's just a wild, unsubstantiated guess.

Edit: Removed the wrong quote attribution!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
Felkor wrote:
Makes me wonder what the next title will be? Mauling the Hun?

If had to make a guess, I'd throw out something like Steel Rain. But that's just a wild, unsubstantiated guess.

Hey, don't nail that quote on me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leonardo balbi
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I told this before and Ill repeat now.
Its not time to talk about CoH's future . Man, the game hasn't even hit the stores yet !

My opinion what should be done in order is :

1 - Make the game cheaper .
2 - Make the game wide available as soon as possible
3 - Bring new scenarios
4 - Make it possible to users create their own scenarios .

This , for this year. Will have enough material to get busy for a while !Dont, we ?

Then, in 2009 CoH can bring us a expansion. If they intend to continue the Eastern Front , so I hope they produce a cheap expansion . We can use the original maps on these expansion, right ? Maybe a counter pack ?
I dont know , the system is so good , and the possibilities are endless...

But, in WWII we need to play with USA, France and British prior to New Zealand, Romania or whatever minor country that participated in this war. No offense to those countries. We Brazilians did a good job in Po Valley in Italy. It was a small help in Allies effort, but we were there fighting Nazis uphill . In fact, I would love to fight with Partisans too...but I do prefer to see 101 Airborne, Rangers units appears first on this great system.

Can you imagine a scenario like the battle for Caen, or Carentan, or St-Lô ? Shermans x Tigers !!! Firefly x Panthers !!!

Another suggestion is make maps packs available for purchase or download. So if Uwe wants to create specific scenarios with standalone map boards for this scenario we would be able to purchase it . Of course, in a good price range hehe.
Again, can you image a Leningrad scenario ?! Snipers,debris, ruins, tanks, heavy artillery, wow... a fierce fight all around ! a gray urban map board would be terrific !

Anyway...we can spend hours here talking about CoH's future ...it's promising ...

But only in 2009 . I prefer waiting 'till the game has thousands of players and then see the new expansions, add-ons , etc ...
In my opinion , thats the way ...first you make the base strong and solid, then you build the second floor...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Knight
New Zealand
Titirangi
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
labalbi wrote:
But, in WWII we need to play with USA, France and British prior to New Zealand, Romania or whatever minor country that participated in this war.

I'll thank you to keep your "we" to yourself . Don't tell me what I need

Edit: added smileys to better convey my intention
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see some of the more "minor" countries represented... New Zealand and Romania sound great... Perhaps a few Canadian troops too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Wofford
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Ostfront was the place to begin. Just as CCA began with the Punic Wars (the pivotal clash of the ancient world) the Eastern Front was the decisive theater of the 20th century in terms of combatant numbers, losses, and the repercussions of victory or defeat. I suspect that we'll see the winter, and city boards and scenarios from Stalingrad, Leningrad, and the fall of the Reich.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leonardo balbi
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not want to offend anyone , neither speak in the name of all . Sorry.

But I need to say the New Zealand troops wont appeal to many people. And Brazilians troops too ! Of course would be cool to play with exotic Armies...but first I would like to see the major Allies...

Is that good for you ? I said "I"...not "we"..

Dear Sr. Adam, you should be more polite. Less aggressive when replying .
You live in a beautiful country...relax...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Pausch
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He probably meant to use the Royal "we"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Glazier
United States
Brentwood (not the OJ one)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The next game? Man, I'd just like to be able to get a copy of the "first" game. Next game. Let me also start interviewing for jobs in my next life.

-=Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jglazier wrote:
The next game? Man, I'd just like to be able to get a copy of the "first" game. Next game. Let me also start interviewing for jobs in my next life.

-=Jeff

While I'm in full agreement of the "I'd just like to be able to get a copy of the first game" sentiment, if Uwe is having to decide now what the next module will be and what it will look like, then I'm only too happy to provide some feedback into that decision.

While we can wait until we get this game to care about what the next one will be like, Uwe cannot - it takes awhile to get these games in print and I'm thankful he's already looking into what the next one should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"What part of "not the same well" didn't you get? The game is going to be vastly different just as the real war was vastly different: in terms of technology and tactics and everything else. Just because it's the same front of the war doesn't mean it will at all be the same game."

I think the part about "same front of the war" is the part I didn't get. I mean seriously. It's the East front again. Same opponents, same terrain. And... different tactics? at this level, in this game?

Not a huge deal so lets not get crazy over this. I just wish the company had taken the opportunity with such a cool new system to try something different. And if you think multiple east front games is different then more power to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think whether early and late east front are very different or very similar depends on the player's perspective.

If someone is new into wargaming and/or has only a basic knowledge of World War II warfare, then early East Front and late East Front look very similar. I fit myself squarely in this camp, although I'm giving at least a little of the benefit of the doubt to those who say they will play and feel quite differently.

If someone is very much into wargaming and/or has a strong knowledge of World War II warfare, then they will see all the difference between the 2, and consider them significant.

It's like if you're into a band, all the songs sound very distinct and different. If you hear a band you don't really listen to much, it can often be hard to tell their songs apart.

So the answer is.... everyone's right! Huzzah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shydler
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And for balance, I'm one of those gamers who is not very interested in post- WW2 games. I would be very unlikely to buy a Vietnam or Desert Storm game. So, Uwe's immediate plans will keep me purchasing his line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is this new title Steel Rain set to be an expansion to the base game where Awakening the Bear is a necessary prerequisite or will it be a stand-alone title, the second in the series?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stand-alone title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leonardo balbi
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have the system ....we have the boards too.
If Uwe wants, he can release map packs and counters pack .

So you cant set up the game to your taste ...

I must say I don't see much appeal in post WWII theaters too. Thats exactly what prevented me from buying World at War : Eisenbach Gap ...the theme was so unreal...

I must say a Leningrad scenario or a Carentan scenario would be just great...

If Uwe decides to come with a Vietnam theater game ...I'll probably pass...
In fact, I think Uwe has plenty time to decide the CoH future...maybe he can release in middle 2009...when CoH community has grown a lot...

I dont buy any games hoping new expansions . What if the developer decide to abandon its job? I dont know , maybe a couple of millions of dollars in a lottery game ...hehe...
No boardgame, videogame will surely have an expansion. The developers intend to do so, but many things can happen until those expansions come true.
CoH system is great to future expansion, but if none becomes real , I'll enjoy the core game the same way.

Uwe has promissed new expansions as we can see in CoH : AtB rules book. Let´s give him some time. He have more immediate problems to attend right now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.