GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,551 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation» Forums » General

Subject: Rating this game a 1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a total of SIX ratings of 1 for Lord of the Rings - The Confrontation: Deluxe Edition.

Here are the names of those users who gave those ratings and their comments:

Taco van Vliet "theme rip off"
Renato Soriano [no comment]
Herbert Harengel "reissue"
Florian Harengel "Not a new game - just a new issue."
Katharina Harengel "reissue"
Andrea Harengel "reissue"

It seems to me that the Harengel family REALLY hate this game, or at least really hate the fact that it is a "reissue". Unfortunately none of the Harengel family give a rating to the original game, so its a difficult to know if it is just the "reissue" thing or something else?

I was wondering if a representative of the Harengel family might like to comment further on their hatred for this game, which is so great that all four of them felt compelled to give the game a 1 out of 10.

Looking at the Harengel family profiles does not help us much: Katharina and Andrea only rate four games (identically), where the other three are 10s and 9s, including a 10 for Agricola.

Herbert Harengel rates over 300 games, but gives only four games a "1", as follows:

Bingo [no comment]
Lord of the Rings - The Confrontation: Deluxe Edition. "reissue"
Ticket to Ride: Europe "reissue"
Ticket to Ride: Marklin Edition "reissue"

Does anyone else doubt the existence of some of the Harengel family or is it just me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Harengel family and rating this game a 1
Florian, Katharina & Andrea all log on at the same time too. However the Harengels do exist and have a web page;

www.harengel.de

Check out Florian's links to his pics. However he does seem a bit young to be expressing such forthright views on a game, let alone being able to play it.

Stewy watch out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting ... I just don't understand why anyone would do that. Why create an account for a one year old so you can put in bogus ratings? Seems pretty lame to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
M U P P E T S
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bjella
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow. I never knew BGG had ratings Gestapo. I get it, let's all intimidate BGG'ers who we don't agree with! Yeah. It'll be fun. We can have a mock trial and everything!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From Harengel to Godwin in 4 easy steps...

The guy obviously has a particular interpretation of what a "1" rating means.

An interpretatin which has some basis in the description, strange as it may seem. "Defies description of a game"...well it looks like he thinks these games aren't really games, just variants/expansions and as such should be rated '1'.

Possibly I'm just rationalising though. Its not a position I agree with anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, the ratings gestapo thing stings a little but, uh, it appears he's right. So it's ok to screw with the ratings as long as nobody is watching?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Archoboy wrote:
Wow. I never knew BGG had ratings Gestapo. I get it, let's all intimidate BGG'ers who we don't agree with! Yeah. It'll be fun. We can have a mock trial and everything!

Then, does that make you the commissar, who ensures that everyone posting has the proper attitude toward the motherland?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hoover
United States
Indiana
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Archoboy wrote:

I think he's questioning the authenticity and is simply pursuing publicly available information.

The trustworthiness of ratings is a legitimate concern. Reviewing public information is totally valid and done so everyday in numerous professions.

Intimidation is rediculously trying to paint someone as acting gestapo like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bjella
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rock Photo Star wrote:
Archoboy wrote:

I think he's questioning the authenticity and is simply pursuing publicly available information.

The trustworthiness of ratings is a legitimate concern. Reviewing public information is totally valid and done so everyday in numerous professions.

Intimidation is rediculously trying to paint someone as acting gestapo like.

Let's recap.

Someone digs through another's game ratings, doesn't agree with it or otherwise like what he sees, fanatically researches that person AND his family to acuse them of the heinous crime of game rating treachery (God forbid, with ratings being SO important after all), then posts that person's name in the heading of a game forum to call him to the carpet for his suspect motivations. Let's make sure everyone on the BGG knows that the Harengel Family rated this game as a 1. That will get them. Those Harengels are obviously bad, bad, bad. And we know it because we're good, good, good, and they don't agree with us.

And you don't find anything disturbing about that? Yet, I'm the one who is intimidating and Gestapo like for mentioning the obvious moral and tactical similarities used by the Gestapo and others who want to shut people up with whom they disagree? Sends shivers down mine spine. I personally don't care what the Harengels' motivations are - probably made a bundle rating the game so low, though. I just hope I'm not accused of being a witch next (I don't float ). Or worse, someone may go through my ratings and profile and find my deep, dark secrets...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Archoboy wrote:

Yet, I'm the one who is intimidating and Gestapo like for mentioning the obvious moral and tactical similarities used by the Gestapo and others who want to shut people up with whom they disagree?

Indeed you appear to be the only contributer so far who feels such a comparison to be appropriate. Believe it or not, you are not holding the moral high ground at the moment although you clearly seem to think that you are.

I would suggest its perhaps time for a sense of proportion and a reassessment of the facts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
er... I say again... M U P P E T S
(only this time I don't mean the Harengels.)

Now, please will you all go and rate Agricola "1" because it doesn't deserve to be higher than Puerto Rico, especially without the animeeples.

(Oh no, it's catching... zombie )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the OP is pointing out that some BGG'ers seem to have multiple profiles for effectively the same person simply to add more ratings, negative or positive....

I haven't a clue as to how to stop phoney profiles. Are they really much of a problem? I ignore '1' ratings for a game I personally rate very high. The ratings are meaningless without comments as far as I'm concerned. Comments like 'reissue' for a game that includes new expansion pieces and rules are misleading at best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify, I do not have any problem with people rating this game a "1" - everyone is entitled their own opinion and I did not complain about either of the other two people who gave a "1" rating. I am not "intimidating people I disagree with".

I am simply pointing out some publically available information which I feel is against the spirit of BGG. I would be equally annoyed if this person had given this game a "10" four times rather than a "1".

I think that some of the problems with bogus accounts could be managed if there you could select an option to calculate ratings based only on those from users who have, say, 20 rated games or some other criterion.

That said, I do regret putting the name of the person in the Subject line - in retrospect maybe I should not have done that (this was simply a case of posting in a rush and with not enough thought) and I will see if the subject can be changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bjella
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for changing the Subject Line, John. That demonstrates real class

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Archoboy wrote:
Thanks for changing the Subject Line, John. That demonstrates real class

Glad it worked ... I was not sure if it was possible

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy this is funny as hell - that family sure has it in for the game. I gather they must own several copies of the original game - to be sure!

Some of you guys are fricking nuts not to agree that the original poster has a point here. To heck with the family - its clear as day that the "Dad" is simply making false accounts and actually screwing with the overall rankings of a great game.

I don't think there was a thing wrong with you calling the guy out for this. Besides his absurd assessment of the game (a ONE is an insult) because it was a reissue, his flagrant breaking with the spirit of the site is spot on by the OP. To me the moderators need to do a better job on these things, multiple accounts like this are MOST CERTAINLY AGAINST the spirit of the site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
johnclark wrote:
Why create an account for a one year old so you can put in bogus ratings?

Don't underestimate one year olds, they can have pretty strong opinions!

- "So, Florian, what do you think of this pretty game? Look, here's a picture of a wee little hobbit."

- "WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!"

- "Hmm, clearly a '1'."

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Archoboy's posts scare me in this thread. He shows an extreme interpretation of the original post, then paints a nasty picture of the original poster's and his intent. Isn't this acting in the same manner that he is suggesting the original poster acted?

These phrases of his stood out...

"fanatically researches"
I was unaware that the simple act of searching for data and sharing the result makes a person's actions "frantic." Obviously, this casts the BBC, Google, the OED, and NASA in a new light. What are they really after?

"acuse them"
The original poster wrote "It seems to me..."-- an observation and a supposition -- which he readily admits in the following lines. No accusation was made, however you misspell the word.

"call him to the carpet"
The phrase "I was wondering if a representative of the Harengel family might like to comment" is not being called on the carpet. It's an invitation for an explanation. (I wanted to note that the phrase is "called on the carpet," and not "called to the carpet" but I fear I my frantic efforts at verifying this may label me worse than "Nazi-loving bookworm" or worse, a "reference librarian".)

"I'm the one who is intimidating and Gestapo like"
From his own keyboard. The horror!

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
Florian, Katharina & Andrea all log on at the same time too. However the Harengels do exist and have a web page;

www.harengel.de

Check out Florian's links to his pics. However he does seem a bit young to be expressing such forthright views on a game, let alone being able to play it.

Stewy watch out.

Child abuse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Raabe
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While this account of mine has no problem with the discussion, two of my other accounts are horribly offended by the naming-names of "1" voters. Of course seven of my accounts are having a laugh over this and are off to give Titan "1" votes just to cause people consternation, and my other 32 accounts are diligently trying to make Buck Rogers 2.0 the highest ranked space wargame on the Geek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jesus Fucking Christ, guys . . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawnjob wrote:
Jesus Fucking Christ, guys . . . .

that's one for the mods...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jools Thomas
Japan
Takarazuka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha ha ha! What a funny thread. Specifically name checking the individuals rating the game at a one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board games addict
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, they might have had a point had they concentrated on the one individual with multiple accounts but then they list others by name who rated the game a 1. That was unnecessary and does seem way over the top. "Name and shame" comes to mind.

I think Lord of the rings the confrontation is a great game too (I rate it a 9) but people who don't like it shouldn't be publicly taken to task over their opinion. A private note to an admin would have been the proper course, not a public flogging of a user who may be inappropriately using the rating system.

Are people who rated the game a 2 next on your hit list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.