GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,066 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

AT-43 Initiation Set: Operation Damocles» Forums » General

Subject: Newbie Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dan schnake
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
That's too much dough unless it's murder. And if it's murder, it's not enough.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and his friend (age 14) were psyched for a miniatures game and eventually settled on AT-43. Imagine their pleasure at winning a free starter set at Gen Con. And they'd like it if I played a faction.

So I've got a few questions.

The rule book that comes with it is just a base version, correct? Is the complete rulebook the next obvious purchase? Makes it a cooler experience?

Are there 5 factions in the game, but only 3 fleshed out so far? Related to this, are there units that are legit for multiple factions, or are they all faction-specific? Do we know the thumbnail version of the differences between factions, play-wise?

Have you guys had good experiences playing this at cons like Origins and Gen Con? Or is AT-43 best kept local?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
danman wrote:
My son and his friend (age 14) were psyched for a miniatures game and eventually settled on AT-43. Imagine their pleasure at winning a free starter set at Gen Con. And they'd like it if I played a faction.


Very cool that he won! While I was there, a buddy and I ran across a father and his three sons playing a free-for-all game with Therians, UNA, and Karmans.

danman wrote:
The rule book that comes with it is just a base version, correct? Is the complete rulebook the next obvious purchase? Makes it a cooler experience?


Correct. Very simple introductory rules, with scenarios that gradually add more complexity. Still, the primary rule book is the one to get, as it explains in more detail why the numbers do what they do. UNA and Therian unit information is included here as well. Also, the main rulebook introduces the combat drills, which are very very useful.

danman wrote:
Are there 5 factions in the game, but only 3 fleshed out so far? Related to this, are there units that are legit for multiple factions, or are they all faction-specific? Do we know the thumbnail version of the differences between factions, play-wise?


Five factions: UNA, Therian, Red Blok, Karmans and Cogs. The first four have detailed unit books, which are necessary to determine point values, special weapons, and specialty rules within the factions for your platoons/companies/armies. No unit book on the Cogs yet.

danman wrote:
Have you guys had good experiences playing this at cons like Origins and Gen Con? Or is AT-43 best kept local?


Haven't played it at a con yet - just locally. But given the terrain maps that were at GenCon, I wish I had brought some armies.

Regards,
Ernie
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.