GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,211 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Race for the Galaxy» Forums » Rules

Subject: A question about powers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey T.
United States
La Grange
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iam alittle unclear on who gets to select there powers when playing different phases. For example, i select explore, someone else selects settle, then one other person selects produce.

I do understand that we all get to play of eachothers cards, and that the selecting person gets the bonus. But what i cant quite understand is does each player get to use there powers, that are in there tableau, even if they werent the ones to select that type of phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, players get to use all the powers that are in their tableau, even when they are not the ones to select that phase.

Small note: You only have the Trade "subphase" when you selected Consume with the trade action, so any Trade powers can only be used if you selected the appropriate action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Yes. For example, Replicant Robots says you save 2 cards if you Settle in the Settle phase. Even if someone else chose Settle and you didn't, you can save 2 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Woolever
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly. To that end, good strategy often means selecting cards to play not only the basis that they fit into your plan, but also considering opponent directions for leeching opportunities. A common example is players having some produce and consume powers even if they never plan to call produce themselves, if another player has a produce/consume engine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve E.
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
does each player get to use there powers, that are in there tableau, even if they werent the ones to select that type of phase?

Yup! If a card in your tableu has a power associated with a phase, every time that phase occurs (and if any prerequisites are also met) you can utilize that power. It does not matter if you personally selected that phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey T.
United States
La Grange
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is going to make games alot more interesting. Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Meyer
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting note. Interstellar bank gives you a card at the beginning of every develop phase, even if you do not develop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
1copse wrote:
Quote:
does each player get to use there powers, that are in there tableau, even if they werent the ones to select that type of phase?

Yup! If a card in your tableu has a power associated with a phase, every time that phase occurs (and if any prerequisites are also met) you can utilize that power. It does not matter if you personally selected that phase.

Except, of course, the Trade ("$") 'phase'. When someone else selects ComsumeTrade and you do not select ConsumeTrade, those who selected ConsumeTrade get a Trade 'phase' and can use their powers in their tableau beside the "$" icon. Those who didn't select ComsumeTrade cannot trade and thus cannot use the "$" powers on their tableau cards.

They do get a normal consume phase, though, and in that phase can use any "IV" powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One easy way to think of this is as follows:

Everyone picks a ROLE card. That role card has a POWER on it which is temporarily added to all the other POWERS you have in your tableau.

Every player participates in every phase, using every power applicable (permenant and temporary).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to organize my tableau of cards in 2 rows.
Top Row for worlds
Bottom Row for dev cards

For each row, I organize the bonuses starting from left to right in ascending order.
So Anything that has NO bonuses on the card goes to the far left. From there on, it goes by Action order.... I, II, III, $, IV, and V

This helps me to sort the bonuses and consume powers to better and more quickly scan my cards to see what bonuses to apply. Putting worlds on top means you only need to look at that top row for and goods, as dev cards do NOT produce goods on their own.

e.g.
0, I, I+II, II+V, III, III+V, IV, IV+$
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I like to organize my tableau of cards in 2 rows.
Top Row for worlds
Bottom Row for dev cards

For each row, I organize the bonuses starting from left to right in ascending order.

So Anything that has NO bonuses on the card goes to the far left. From there on, it goes by Action order.... I, II, III, $, IV, and V

That works for some - I prefer to keep cards played in the order they appeared - it makes it easier for someone who knows where a given card in your tableau is.

Of course, I have also seen players do this and use it as an opportunity to sneak peaks at their face down goods - which is another reason I prefer to just leave things as is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Of course, I have also seen players do this and use it as an opportunity to sneak peaks at their face down goods - which is another reason I prefer to just leave things as is.
how would one even sneak peaks at their face down goods? Don't see how the layout of your cards even matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.