Thumb up
1 Posts

Lunch Money» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
To wrap up the night (or by this time, early morning) we pulled out Lunch Money. I had never really given this game much thought, but Holly bought it for Casey at Christmas thinking that the theme was disturbingly apropo. She nailed it on the head.

The game takes a bit of explaining and almost constant referral back to the rule sheet for the first few games - there are too many card combos to remember out of the gate and the cards are really not helpful for remembering. After you get into the swing of things, however, prepare for a brutal good time.

I can understand how many people would not like this game - the cards are disturbing (one reads "Jesus hates you, and so do I", another has a little girl holding a hammer with both hands in front of her face), and the gameplay is unapologetically violent (I'm going to "grab" you and then put you in a "headlock". You can't counter that? OK, then I hit you with an "uppercut". Twice.).

With that said - it's just a game! A game probably best enjoyed with adults only, but a game nonetheless. Our group drew on bad memories from our schoolyard days and added quite a bit of unneccessary (but fun) vitriol to our four rounds of combat. We were having so much fun that we didn't notice that 4AM came and went. We kept beating each other silly.

A note on gameplay - others have mentioned that the game doesn't really do much for their group due to poor replayability. I don't see this happening with our group, simply because we all took a little extra time to try to be as descriptive as possible. Humiliation cards didn't just stop the attack, they were excuses to create wild descriptions of what we did to one another (in the roles of little bully girls, of course). It was all played in great fun, although I will admit that this style of play would not work for all people.

If you are sensitive to direct conflict types of games - don't play this one! You WILL be offended. You WILL leave your gaming session upset.
If, however, you like a little mindless violence, have thick skin, and love to laugh - give Lunch Money a try.

My current rating: 8
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.