Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game sounds like lots of fun, but I rarely get the opportunity to play games with more than one other person, so for those that have played the game, do you think it could work (with some kind of variant if necessary) as a 2 player game? Would it take away all the fun?

(I know it may be early to ask, but reading those session reports and having enjoyed both the old and the new series, my interest in this game is rising )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the game, but in a two-player game it would be impossible to play for the Cylons without being caught. I think that kills the idea dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Walkley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I normally only get to play games 2-player, so I limit what I buy in this regard. However, I am making an exception for this and hope to get everyone I know who loves the show to play!

I was also wondering about a 2 player variant though. You would need to think of some way to automate the cylon player(s). Perhaps, in keeping with the show, you could start with Boomer known to be a cylon and then somehow randomly determine her actions each turn.

As I have not even read the rules of the game, let alone been able to get a copy, I have no idea about if something like this will be possible.

Either way, I am pretty sure it would be a poor relation to the 'real thing'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few issues to consider:
-Someone who is a cylon at the start will have way too much of an advantage.
-If someone is always a cylon, you will always know who it is halfway through the game.

Come up with rules to address those and the game MIGHT work. For the first rule, I suggest that both players start out as humans and no cylon card is dealt until halfway through the game.

For the second issue, at the halfway point when the second set of cards is usually dealt, deal out two human cards and one cylon card. One will be dealt to nobody but you don't know which it is.

This leaves the possibility that both players are human (you don't KNOW that the other is a cylon just because you aren't). This also means that you are more likely to be human than cylon, so you won't play badly in the first half just in the hopes that you become a cylon.

Finally, you may have to adjust certain abilities which won't work well with two. For example, Baltar's negative ability should work like Boomer's (because there wouldn't be any cards to deal at the start). There may be other abilities which are not completely broken with 2 but won't work well. I'm not sure.

All of this should make the game PLAYABLE with 2, but I'm not sure how good it would be. You might need to do something about the brig mechanic. Escaping from the brig would be nearly impossible if the only other player is opposing you. He can easily bump the difficulty enough so that you have no chance of passing the skill test on your own. Actually, all of the skill tests will be a lot harder with two so it may require some adjustment.

Now the final issue is that the game may be too easy if nobody happens to be a cylon. You might establish certain conditions under which the players lose if they both find that they are humans at the end of the game. While this may feel "unthematic" for the players to be penalized because both were loyal, it keeps the difficult balanced. It worked well for my group in SoC but I'm not sure how you'd handicap it in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Walkley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
All good points, Cameron.

I was thinking about having the players be human, not cylon at all and come up with some mechanics to entirely automate the cylon element of the game.

But then, I may as well play the CCG if I want 2 player BSG action...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cdwalkley wrote:
All good points, Cameron.

I was thinking about having the players be human, not cylon at all and come up with some mechanics to entirely automate the cylon element of the game.

But then, I may as well play the CCG if I want 2 player BSG action...

It might work as a cooperative game. There's plenty of ways to boost the difficulty (extra crisis cards, more steps before you are able to jump, resolve a super crisis at certain times, etc) but you really end up with a completely different game. Some effects such as Baltar cyclon scanner (I think there is a similar quorem card) are meaningless without the possibility of cylon players. The entire brig mechanic is pretty meaningless because there's no reason to throw your friend in the brig (he could still end up there from certain crisis cards maybe). So it would be pretty different but it might still provide a challenge.

I can't say for sure how well it would work... I don't have the game. I'm mostly just guessing based on what I've heard about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thought I had for a 2-player game would basically be to set up exactly like a 3-player game, only you end up not dealing out some of the loyalty cards. So, there's 6 cards (more if Gaius or Boomer are involved), one of which is a cylon card, and only 4 get dealt out.

There's still the paranoia of someone being a cylon, but there are two main issues:

-The game will be either very easy or very difficult, depending on whether or not someone is a cylon. 2 humans and 0 cylons will be very different from 1 human and 1 cylon.
-If three negative cards show up in a skill check, it's obvious that there's a cylon, and it's obvious who it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.