Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Pierce
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A note to the red/green color blind guys… don’t play this friggin game!!! Sheesh!

I played my second game of WoW:AG last night. During the first game, I was constantly asking, “What color is this?” but was able to get through the game, although, in hindsight, I do believe that I probably inadvertently cheated on prematurely upgrading my weapons/armor.

Usually, it’s shades of red, green, and brown (pastels are the worst!) that throw me for a loop, but in WoW:AG, I can’t tell the grey from the green either. Over the years, I’ve learned to compensate for my color issues by using other visual clues to help decipher the colors. On the event cards, there are some texture patterns, but they are really hard to see. I usually had to compare an event card to other grey, green, and/or red cards to figure out the actual color, but I could get by. On the gameboard, however, I have totally failed to find a way to discern a grey path from a green path and/or from a red path. If the colors would’ve stayed just one shade, I could’ve figured it out (I think), but Nooooooooo, FFG had to use different shades for the path colors. I have to think that FFG musta thought, “Hey, this is game that Oxotnik might like. Let’s really screw with him!” :-)

And to top it off (color issues aside), WoW:AG is only marginally fun. The Arkham-ish variant (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/333540) looks like it has a lot of promise to turn a boring game into a more fun game. If not, then I’ll be done with WoW:AG for good. :-/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Evensen
India
Chennai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I'm color blind as well, but had no problems with the paths. I know that doesn't help you. The paths leading from the cities are all gray until they change to green.

As far as the cards goes, I was initially upset, but then realize that the object borders were different and distinct, as are the character cards, so I had no problem. The jewels on the event cards are bright and distinct enough for me to tell.

If you are looking at just the card background, then it is rather frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Young
United States
Yakima
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not being color-blind, I haven't had any trouble with the gameboard itself, but can definitely sympathise regarding the cards. I'm not sure what the graphic designers were thinking, but the differences between the gray, green, yellow and red decks are hard to spot. Likewise, it took me a bit to figure out that the starting and elite quest cards were actually two separate decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
Reseñas de Juegos Argentinos
badge
Need a cool Graphic Design for a game you are Creating ? Maybe a banner for a kickstarter ? Ask for a quote... questions are for FREE :D
mbmbmbmbmb
Chuck try the Solitary Variant. I am sure you will like it.

Here is a rough version of a map that describes the color of the areas.

I contained the YELLOW AREAS and GRAY AREAS to make them different form the RED abd GREEN ONES.

Also on the RED and GREEN areas I marked with arrows where they begin and end. The paths inside belong to those colors.

Let me know if it helps you enjoy the game more.

Click on the image for a larger version
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cappello
United States
Pasadena
MD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I have a buddy with a similar problem. we used to have to take a marker and write the color names on the colors so he was able to distinguish the colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Pierce
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
willdesigns wrote:
Chuck try the Solitary Variant. I am sure you will like it.

Here is a rough version of a map that describes the color of the areas.

LOL. The map actually confirms the color of a few of the paths that I've wondered about.

I've actually played about 5 games of your solitaire variant. I like it. I've found, though, that I never go after the quests, unless they happen to fall into my lap. They're not worth it for just a point or two. So, I go all out to level up to Red and beating an overlord, usually Zul Gurub (while keeping the Doom Token low, of course), then I head over to Booty Bay to cash in all of the trophies that are in the bag, to get enough valor points to win the game. In that since the game is almost anti-climatic, as you'd kinda expect beating the Overlord to be the crowning achievement of the game, not trading stuff at the Booty Bay Pawn Shop for points.

I had a really interesting endgame today. I was playing Burbonn Fang, the Dwarf with the musket, and had leveled up to Red easily enough and had just beaten the Doom token back to below 5. I was on my way to destroy Zul Gurub, when I ran into bad luck. I unexpectedly took 2 damage from a green encounter, then drew three really bad Discovery Tokens: 2 Disease tokens in a row and then the Bomb. I suddenly died when I thought that I had the game easily won. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Pierce
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sippi wrote:
I have a buddy with a similar problem. we used to have to take a marker and write the color names on the colors so he was able to distinguish the colors.

I'm far from being totaly R/G color blind, but shades of red, green, and brown kill me. After studying colors for a while I can usually find a way to distinguish them, often by using other visual clues, such as shapes or pattens that are often used in conjunction with the colors. WoW:AG makes doing this quite difficult, though, as the game often doesn't use the same exact pattern for the colored levels. After playing a few solitaire games, I think that I've finally figured everything out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
Reseñas de Juegos Argentinos
badge
Need a cool Graphic Design for a game you are Creating ? Maybe a banner for a kickstarter ? Ask for a quote... questions are for FREE :D
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it happens to me to. I've lost almost every solitary game I played because I went overconfident and it happened the same thing that happen to you. On one I had 4 beasts in the undefeated track and a yellow encounter (tethis) that increased its damage for every beast in the track hit me full size and squeezed my hero. With the Orc Warrior the game goes more or less easy but with the human sorceress and the undead girl almost everytime things go bad.

Remember that you do not place the green discoveries back into the bag once they are solved. And that you have to achieve experience in order to be allowed to level up. Also that if you decide to keep fighitng a creature the combat is to the death of one of you, there is no turning back. And finally that if you die that's it. Lately I cannot even beat my own system with the 2 characters mentioned above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Pierce
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I've been playing by those rules. I've played 5 solitaire games. Won 2, lost 3. Two of the losses, I racked up to to learning the variant. At first, the Orc was my favorite character because of his base strength. But, as I've played more, I've decided that I like the Dwarf the best. Using ranged weapons, even if they're a little weaker, are great because if you're battling a melee monster and you overcome his/her/its shield strength, then he/she/it doesn't get a melee shot back at you (assuming no special conditions, of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.