Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Thoughts and opinions on all the new War of the Roses games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know both Columbia games and GMT are producing wargames taht take place during the War of the Roses era. I'm not even sure on the names, but I was wondering what peoples thoughts and opinions are? I am looking to get only ONE of them. I am a eurogaming, new to the wargame scene. I currently have Hammer of the Scotts, Twilight Struggle and Warriors of God. I am NOT looking for a more complex wargame. I would lean towards the columbia game because I like the block system from Hammer of the Scotts.

jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played either of the new "War of the Roses" wargames, but if the intrigue of the time period is of interest to you, I highly recommend Kingmaker, an out of print game from Avalon Hill. It might be hard to get a copy, but is worth it. It isn't a straight up wargame, although you do gather armies, fight battles, and lay seige to castles. The goal of the game is to control the last remaining heir (of either the York or Lancaster house). To do that you have to kill all the other heirs (or neutralize them by bringing them under your banner). This usually means catching the nobles who support those heirs and defeating them in battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Hammer of the Scots, then Richard III: The Wars of the Roses is probably your best choice. Wars of the Roses is by the same designer and shares a number of mechanics.

Another game that you may want to look at is Sun of York. It basically takes the Columbia's Dixie: Bull Run Civil War card game and transports it to the Wars of the Roses. Very simple and can be played in an hour or so. It's being reprinted by GMT, but you can order a desktop published version from Relative Range.

Yet another game you may want to look at is Battleground. WHile designed for fantasy, you can play medieval battles if you restrict yourself to just the human decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, three of 'em. From GMT, are both Sun of York, and Crown of Roses, while from Columbia, Richard III: The Wars of the Roses. Being a 4 player game, it's "Crown of Roses", that interests me most.

The original Kingmaker is not too shabby, either.

(edit) By gobs, there is yet another called Warwick the Kingmaker available as a print&play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimstax wrote:
I haven't played either of the new "War of the Roses" wargames, but if the intrigue of the time period is of interest to you, I highly recommend Kingmaker, an out of print game from Avalon Hill. It might be hard to get a copy, but is worth it. It isn't a straight up wargame, although you do gather armies, fight battles, and lay seige to castles. The goal of the game is to control the last remaining heir (of either the York or Lancaster house). To do that you have to kill all the other heirs (or neutralize them by bringing them under your banner). This usually means catching the nobles who support those heirs and defeating them in battle.

Yes, I actually own Kingmaker (and the expansion deck. When Avalon Hill was still around, I called to order a bunch of parts for Dune and got the deck). That being said, it's in storage because it just seemed complex and long for what it is. I'm more interested in a two-player wargame, so it seems the columbia games version would be my choice.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.