Monica Capalia

LA Harbor
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am planning to write an article in my moms club newsletter to educate other moms about board gaming. I thought I would start with some good reasons to why they should start boardgaming, with or without the kids. (forgive me if a similar thread already exists on this- I am new to BGG)

Anyway, I am looking for short and sweet reasons, bullet points; not dissertations.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are new also.

Advantages:
Social interaction/quality time with your children/family
Time away from TV/Video games/IM/Internet
Intellectually stimulating
Educational
Fun! Fun! Fun!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fun for all ages (if you pick the right games)

doesn't require daylight or good weather

can fit into any available increment of time

relatively cheap entertainment

immediate fun/low transaction costs (don't have to drive/schedule)

structured social interaction that makes it easier for people to find pleasant ways to interact

requires active engagement vs. passive consumption

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Adults:
- Enables spending time together in a fun interactive way. Especially helpful for people who are quickly bored by small talk. Can keep social gatherings from degenerating into alcohol binges. Not that alcohol is not consumed, it just isn't the main focus like at many social gatherings.
- Certain games are better at generating meaningful social interaction with other people than regular conversation.

Kids:
- Encourages problem solving skills
- Like sports, can be opportunity for teaching sportsmanship and competitive courtesy.
- Good way for adults to stay interactive with children throughout all of childhood. A lot of things can be devined about a child by watching how they play a game. It can be used as diagnostic tool to find out how well you child is develo;ing, both intellectually and emotionally.
- An excellent way to have fun with children in an interactive way. Much better than watching TV together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My excuse is , I have heard that exercising your brain helps to prevent alzheimer's disease. Atleast that is all the significant other needs to know.devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
- fun
- exercise for the mind (there are studies showing that playing games, solving puzzles, etc helps older people to stay mentally alert)
- some games teach specific skills useful in "real life" (math, logic, geometry, language, etc)
- some games with themes teach about specific periods of history or other interesting cultural/social things and can inspire one to learn more about them (e.g. wargames, political games, etc)
- enjoyable social interaction with family, friends, strangers
- self-esteem and satisfaction from competition, learning, and improving with experience and study (especially for classic games like Chess, Bridge, Go etc for which a long tradition of techniques exist)
- geeky enjoyment of related issues like ratings, tournaments, auctions, etc
- a good subculture with lots of online and real-life resources to support the hobby
- inexpensive compared to many hobbies (especially if you know friends who own games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaming teaches kids:

1. how to be patient and take turns
2. problem-solving skills
3. how to be a good loser/winner
4. how to interact with other people
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaming is inter-generational. Not only is it good for kids and adults, but for adults and older adults. It is especially good for the time between getting out of school and having kids of your own as it gives you ample opportunity to meet older and younger people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to a sci-fi convention and demo'ed a bunch of board games and listed why people should play board games which was listed as follows:

-Great way to spend time with your family, and get younger children involved
-Have a laugh and tons of fun eith friends
-Options vary from light-hearted fun to deeply thought provoking
-Flexibility in time, number of players and genres, so you can always find something for that specific occasion
-A lot of social fun, like online games, except more personal and without internet spam an unpleasentness (i.e. STFU NOOB!!)
-No power cords or batteries needed (in most cases); therefore, great for storm days and outages
-Unleash the neurotic collector within you
-Stab your friends in the back without going to jail

We also did a comparison which was as follows:

If you like... Then try...

Your 6 year Old -Zoloretto
-Rattlesnake

Monopoly -Ticket To Ride
-Settlers of Catan

Chess -Tzaar
-Hive

Risk -War of the Ring
-El Grande

Magic The Gathering -Blue Moon
-Jambo

D&D -Descent
-Arkham Horror

World of Warcraft -WoW: The Board Game
-WoW: The Adventure Board Game

Video Games -Doom
-Age of Empires III: Age of Discovery

Novels -Lord of the Rings
-A Game of Thrones

E-Bay -Amun-Re
-Ra

Sci-Fi -Starcraft The Board Game
-Twilight Imperium III

Cthulhu -Munchkin Cthulhu
-Call of Cthulhu CCG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much everything is covered, but a couple more to be highlighted:

Introduction/continuing lessons on following rules. Not only following rules, BUT explaining rules. Developing communication reading and understanding skills (HUGE in standardized tests, but important either way).

Decision making. Not only what choices to make, BUT what games to play AND sometimes who to play with.

Kids should be allowed to play solataire games (supervised of course) and or two player games as well as in large groups. Choices.

To me, games are mostly about social interaction and personal choice, but everything people have said comes into play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsay Thomas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It's better than watching TV.

Also, kids that get into gaming, especially wargaming, should get better at passing exams.

If you can read the rules to Third Reich, understand them and then play the game, you'll have no problem reading your maths / physics / geography course notes and passing an exam on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
Game Artisans of Canada Member
badge
My Best Bud Parker 2004-2016
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides the social, the problem solving and the teaching aspects, above all else, games excite the imagination.

Animals play because it is an important aspect of developmental growth. It's in our genes. Why many people devalue the importance of games is beyond me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsay Thomas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Cost.

Cost to take a family of 4 to a Premier League Football match: approx £100 ($200).

Cost to take a family of 4 to see the latest movie at the cinema: approx £25 ($50).

Cost to play a game of Agricola: approx £40 ($80) for the first game. All subsequent games free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
trekker wrote:
I am planning to write an article in my moms club newsletter to educate other moms about board gaming. I thought I would start with some good reasons to why they should start boardgaming, with or without the kids. (forgive me if a similar thread already exists on this- I am new to BGG)

Anyway, I am looking for short and sweet reasons, bullet points; not dissertations.

Thanks in advance!

Here is an article I wrote here from a teacher's perspective on this issue:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2184483

Feel free to steal from it as needed.

Blargh I can't type or spell today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
was once a plant in a fruit plot
mbmbmbmbmb
The animal cub learns through play. Human children also learn best through play. Not just passive learning via video and audio, as those are only passive (and secondary means, at best). Games help children understand how the world works by providing them with metaphors for how the world works, as well as teaching them problem solving techniques and social interaction.

The adult mind typically starts to dull between the ages of 25 and 30, and then again from the age of 35 on. By feeding new information and challenging the mind, the brain's neural pathways continue to develop and grow. So, if you do not want to become dull, but always have a suple, agile mind, then challenge your brain -- either through puzzles or play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.