Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FINAL EDIT: It's finally done and uploaded as a pdf:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/info/37315

Woo! Finally finished making the rules! I also touched up the cards and tiles so they will be larger when printed and easier to cut, and I made the marble pillars on the upstairs tiles easier to see.

Here's some Wolf3D mood music

-------------------------------------------

Back in June, I drew up some cards and tiles for this variant:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2577612

Here's the cards:

And the tiles (dungeon on the left, upstairs on the right):
(I tried to put marble columns/circles in many of the upstairs rooms, but they really blend in with the floor. Oh well)

Now I just have to figure out how to make it into a printer-friendly pdf or something. As is, you could scale the images to a page and print it out.

Here are the rules:
The Story: It's WWII. You're an allied spy who has been captured and imprisoned in the dungeons of Castle Wolfenstein. At some point, you are able to overpower a guard in your cell and take his Luger. You must escape the castle by 1)finding the key 2)unlocking the dungeon door in front of the elevator 3)take the elevator to the ground floor and find the exit, before time runs out and the Castle is locked down and surrounded by German reinforcements. The Castle starts on "Code Green", but will raise to "Code Yellow" as the guard focuses on finding you. Once the Castle reaches "Code Red" status, you have very little time to escape before the castle is completely locked down.

Special rooms are designated by text:
Prison cells - you start here
Key - after resolving the event card here, you may find the key by resolving another card
Dungeon Elevator - If you have the key, you may take the elevator upstairs. It will take you to the Upstairs Elevator.
Upstairs Elevator - Connects to underground elevator, though it is not adjacent.
Mess Hall - if you end your turn here, gain 1 health.
Infirmary - if you end your turn here, gain 1 health.
Item - after resolving the event card here, you may find an item by drawing another card and getting the item shown
Exit - after resolving the event card here, you may exit the castle by resolving another card

The Cards:
The cards are set up in the same manner as ZimP cards, but instead of hours, different "code" levels of security are used. The castle starts "code green" and advances to "code yellow" when the deck is exhausted (and to "red" when it is exhausted again).

Some enemy types have a crate symbol after them. These enemies have items. If you defeat them in combat, you may loot them by drawing another card and receiving the item on it.

The Items:
Luger - (attack power 1) You start with and always have this weapon
Gewehr 41 - (attack power 2)
K98k - (ap 2)
MP40 - (ap 3)
MP43 - (ap 3)
Panzerfaust - (ap 5) discarded after use; only used once
Medical kit - gain 3 health
Potato masher - one time use, +3 attack power for a combat; stacks with your weapon's attack power
Minigun - (ap 4) has ammo for 2 uses; you may keep it after using all its ammo
Guard Uniform - you may avoid the next combat you encounter. Whether you avoid the next combat or not, it is then discarded.
Ammo box - One time use. You may replenish 2 uses for the minigun or gain +1 attack power in a combat (stacks with your weapon ap)
The Key - You need this to use the elevator.

*You do not have a base attack power, as in ZimP. When you fight, you chose a weapon and just use its attack power for the combat.
*You can only carry two weapons. The Luger, Ammo box, Uniform, Potato masher, and key do not count against your weapon carry limit. You can carry any number of other items.

Secret doors: These work exactly like 'zombie doors'. If you are blocked in the dungeon or ground level with no exits, you find a secret door and passage. When you find the secret passage, 3 giant rats will attack you from it.

Resting: Instead of cowering, you rest and scavenge the room for stuff to eat and medical supplies, and you rip off clothes for makeshift bandages. Rules-wise it is exactly the same as cowering.

As in the old PC game, there are 4 difficulty levels:
Can I Play Daddy?- Gain 3 health when resting. Discard 2 cards at the start of each hour.
Don't Hurt Me - Gain 2 health when resting. Discard 2 cards at the start of each hour.
Bring It On! - Gain 2 health when resting. Discard 3 cards at the start of each hour.
I am Death Incarnate! - Gain 1 health when resting. Discard 3 cards at the start of each hour.

*All other rules are the same as in ZimP*

Any suggestions or feedback is welcome. Any suggestions on what the easiest way to make these into a pdf would be are welcome, too!

EDIT: here's an image of the game in play:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sloan
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds cool. If you have Open Office, which is free to download and similar to MS Word, then you can use it's "export to PDF" feature to create a .pdf of the rules. For the tiles I think the best bet is Photoshop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is fantastic! I'm gonna play this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sloan
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't see the tiles before cuz of buggy Internet connection. Wow, very nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the Openoffice suggestion! I've used openoffice before, and I'm a fan, but I've never used that feature.

EDIT: well, that was easy. I just put both pictures on their own slide in "Impress" and exported as a pdf.

Now for the rules. Do you think something like what I have above, mostly just the differences from ZimP, is alright? Or should I rewrite the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are able to, and have time - I would like to see an 8 page pocketbook like ZimP. I did one for Aliens in my Pocket. I think it makes it easier for folk to printout and carry around.

I'm also thinking that each of these variants is in a similar format to the original - that someone could create a deluxe set with all of them in a single box or something
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curufea wrote:
deluxe set with all of them in a single box or something

Wow! I'd pay someone to do that for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squeeker
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool new theme, not so much a fan of the swastikas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arielle wrote:
Thanks! The swastika rooms were inspired by the old PC game, which had lots of rooms and halls shaped like swastikas for no apparent reason.

EDIT: I know that they are there because the Nazis built them, but I think the swastika hallways are a bit over the top and silly. Those hallways being one of the over the top silly things I remember best from the game (along with miniguns), it got included in the variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you upload the PDF to BGG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
Did you upload the PDF to BGG?
Not yet. I was going to wait until the rules were done and upload it all together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Sebastien
Canada
Ste-Therese
QC
flag msg tools
mbmb
Aarontu wrote:
arielle wrote:
Thanks! The swastika rooms were inspired by the old PC game, which had lots of rooms and halls shaped like swastikas for no apparent reason.

Actually, beside the wall decorations, only level 6-3 had Swastikas (it was made of a couple of interlocking ones)

Swastikas is not what makes Wold3D cool or fun though (and if you check the Wolfenstein sequel, you'll see that it doesn't have any).

Not that I care about them mind you, I saw swastikas in numerous non-nazi references all over the world, but seeing as Wolfenstein is a game about killing Nazies, saying that they are there "for no apparent reason" is a little weird. They were in the game as a direct reference to the Nazies.

I think that they would even make it illegal for German BGG'er to print your variant

Edit : I love your dev cards though. Just to complain, because I am good at it, I'd make the items pictures black and white. Polaroids were invented right at the end of the WW2, and they weren't in color Also, I'd remove the chemical "bumps" at the bottom, the original didn't have them, they looked like "regular" pictures.Check a sample here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gutter wrote:
Aarontu wrote:
arielle wrote:

Actually, beside the wall decorations, only level 6-3 had Swastikas (it was made of a couple of interlocking ones)

Swastikas is not what makes Wold3D cool or fun though (and if you check the Wolfenstein sequel, you'll see that it doesn't have any).

Not that I care about them mind you, I saw swastikas in numerous non-nazi references all over the world, but seeing as Wolfenstein is a game about killing Nazies, saying that they are there "for no apparent reason" is a little weird. They were in the game as a direct reference to the Nazies.

I think that they would even make it illegal for German BGG'er to print your variant

Edit : I love your dev cards though. Just to complain, because I am good at it, I'd make the items pictures black and white. Polaroids were invented right at the end of the WW2, and they weren't in color Also, I'd remove the chemical "bumps" at the bottom, the original didn't have them, they looked like "regular" pictures.Check a sample here

When I first was putting together the cards, the item photos were in sepia hues, but I ended up keeping them in color because I thought it looked better and it was easier to do. I also didn't do much research on old Polaroids blush.

I am well aware that the swastikas are a reference to the Nazis. While all the Nazi banners in the game make sense, I think the swastika-shaped hallways are a bit ridiculous (by "for no apparent reason", I was being facetious.) The Wolf3D maps I know of with Swastika inspired architecture are 1-4, 2-5, 3-8, 5-7, and 6-3. (6-3 having the seven swastikas, more than any other level)

If it bothers anyone, or someone in Germany wants to print it out, I can make a "censored/edited" version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sloan
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
Thanks for the Openoffice suggestion! I've used openoffice before, and I'm a fan, but I've never used that feature.

EDIT: well, that was easy. I just put both pictures on their own slide in "Impress" and exported as a pdf.

Now for the rules. Do you think something like what I have above, mostly just the differences from ZimP, is alright? Or should I rewrite the rules?

No problem, freeware for a free game :-)

I agree with the idea of a box containing all (or the top ones) ZimP and ZimP inspired games. Would be freakin' awwwesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gill
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The pics look awesome. Cant' wait for you guys to upload as a PDF. Keep up the good work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.