Subject: Orphaned Gunners rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Ward
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
1. A lone leader with only gunners left is eliminated in a field battle. What happens to his gunners? Do they evaporate when their leader is removed? Or do they remain in the province, possibly to be claimed later if a new leader shows up.

2. Similar question. A leader with only gunners is eliminated in battle. But there is a leader of his side left at the end of the battle. Do the gunners still go away? Or do they remain, possibly to be claimed by the surviving leader in a later phase that turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torsten Meckel-Hartmann
Germany
Kaltenkirchen
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand the rules correctly, you can use Gunners as Cannon fodder for soaking up losses, and you may not remove a leader as long as he has men to lose.

So there is no way for gunners to become "orphaned".

Hope that helped,
Torsten

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Michael Ward wrote:
1. A lone leader with only gunners left is eliminated in a field battle. What happens to his gunners? Do they evaporate when their leader is removed? Or do they remain in the province, possibly to be claimed later if a new leader shows up.

2. Similar question. A leader with only gunners is eliminated in battle. But there is a leader of his side left at the end of the battle. Do the gunners still go away? Or do they remain, possibly to be claimed by the surviving leader in a later phase that turn?

You've misunderstood a basic rule. Leaders are *NEVER* eliminated in battle until (a) all the troops, gunners included, in their "stack" are eliminated first, and (b) they take an additional loss which eliminates the intrinsic troop strength represented by their counter.

So no gunners ever survive a leader in battle.

Now when leaders die of natural causes ... that's another story

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ward
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OK, now I see what you're talking about. I missed it because its not a "rule", but a phrase in one of the reddish brown tinted "Play notes" at the bottom of column one of page nine.

When I read gunners don't fight in a field battle I formed a mental image of them twiddling their thumbs far behind the lines. Its good to now know they can be used as shock absorbers to take losses.

Thanks to both of you for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a rule, actually. The rule is that you remove troop strength points to satisfy losses. Since gunners are defined as troops in Rule 3, they are therefore eligible to be taken as losses in combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.