Dither Dither
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. I don't want to dwell on a paste-on-theme discussion. However, the apparent goal of the game is to "fill your tent with the most spectators and win the game as the most successful ringmaster".

So, with this in mind, lets assume all the cats are removed from the centre pile (leaving only dogs). If I play a 3 point card, do i just take only one dog (2 pts), two dogs (at 2 points each because its the first combination that completely fills the 3pt criteria); or should I play two dogs but give back a single cat (1pt) as change to get it back to 3pts?

My theory is that if the theme is about attracting spectators, I should take two dogs but not give back a cat (as this implies my acrobatics act attracted the dogs but somehow offends an existing cat member of the audience that they decide to leave).

Yes, I know its a kids game, and you should be just playing to enjoy; but I got to know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm. We've always played that you make change, treating the dogs and cats as mere victory point tokens....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I understand your point, but I do think that is taking the theme too far. We also always play with making change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Grieshop
United States
Temple Terrace
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David;

peacmyer and robul are correct. Yes, you definitely just make change. It does not say it in the rules, but that's definitely the intent.

We usually just ask other players to turn in some cats, if we've run out of cats. Players should be willing to make change, especially with your interpretation that would let you get an extra point if they did not.

I have seen some players that will insist on only taking cats, because they personally don't like dogs - but that's just infantile, and I avoid playing with people like that. If a child is doing this, they probably just need to see an adult doing some "modeling behavior" to understand how they should be willing to play.

(This question hasn't come up very often, and there are games that would encourage hoarding of small change. We just reprinted this, but I'll try to remember to make a note in our next printing.)

Russell Grieshop
Sales Director
R&R Games, Inc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't make change, but I'd go with Russel's statement over mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dither Dither
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Russell,

It always amazes me that game publishers lurk around BGG being helpful with words of advice & clarification. I am just not use to this level of "niceness" in other endeavours!

cheers,

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Grieshop
United States
Temple Terrace
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:
We don't make change, but I'd go with Russell's statement over mine.

Yokiboy, my personal philosophy is - once you've bought a game, it's yours - and I think we should play with our own games in any way we choose. While I can tell you the "offical" word, there isn't any reason at all (*of course*) to defer to me.

This game is often described as a kid's game, but the math behind it is pretty neat, and there are some very interesting interactions that arise from that backing. I've played this a lot with adults, and have had a lot of fun with it.

I know that not making change might have some interesting side effects, and I have played with people who will dominate a denomination of currency simply to deny it to other players, so I think it could create a sticky problem... But play with it as you will.

I'm curious - in situations where dogs or cats are drawn over to watch another act - do you let the "stealing" player decide which animals to draw, or do you let the "victim" player decide? Someone who took all of the cats might be a target if people wanted the "ones".

Another question - do you play the "round up" (I need 3 points, so I take 3 dogs), round down (I need 3 points so I take one dog), or something in between? If I need three points, can I take two dogs and return one cat? Since you play that way, I'm curious about how you decided it should work.

Thanks!

Russell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Grieshop
United States
Temple Terrace
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FranklinTV wrote:
It always amazes me that game publishers lurk around BGG being helpful with words of advice & clarification. I am just not use to this level of "niceness" in other endeavours!

Thanks, David!

I should say, I was a member of BGG long before I left my career to spend my time trying to help get games published.

And - I know there is a big community of active game publishers and designers here - so there are a lot of us.

And, finally, for most of us working in the games industry, we started out as gamers, and most of us still love games. So naturally we'd find ourselves hanging around here!

Thanks for the kind words - the general niceness is one of the things I like about BGG...

Russell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Werebear wrote:
[q="Yokiboy"]Another question - do you play the "round up" (I need 3 points, so I take 3 dogs), round down (I need 3 points so I take one dog), or something in between? If I need three points, can I take two dogs and return one cat? Since you play that way, I'm curious about how you decided it should work.

We don't round up 3pts to 3 dogs for sure.

We actually just round down. If you need 3pts and there are no more cats, but dogs available, then you only get one dog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.