Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Lewis
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the solitaire flash version of this game a few times now, but I don't think I have ever done anything but plow and take a grain as my first two actions.

I probably don't want to take the occupation action, since I want food in order to do more than one. I don't have enough wood, clay, reed, or stone to do most of the minor improvements. It almost feels like an automatic action for me, but maybe I've been blinded by own lack of strategy.

Can anyone talk me out of this? What would be a better choice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
If I can get cards like "seasonal worker" which combine the plow and grain actions with other useful ones, I always concider to play an occupation first. Otherwise, you're right. There's nothing better to do than plowing and taking grain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I always do, unless a card in-hand warrants otherwise, as the previous poster mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeph Stahl
Canada
Grimsby
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.thebrickbrewery.com
badge
www.thebrickbrewery.com
mbmbmbmbmb
colinkun wrote:
I probably don't want to take the occupation action, since I want food in order to do more than one.

Its my understanding that only one occupation can be played when you take an occupation action space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jstahl wrote:
colinkun wrote:
I probably don't want to take the occupation action, since I want food in order to do more than one.

Its my understanding that only one occupation can be played when you take an occupation action space.

Is that specifically for the solitaire game? Because in the multiplayer, you can take as many occupations as you can pay food for from the fixed action space on the board?

Don't have my rules in front of me ATM...

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeph Stahl
Canada
Grimsby
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.thebrickbrewery.com
badge
www.thebrickbrewery.com
mbmbmbmbmb
CovertDad wrote:
jstahl wrote:
colinkun wrote:

Is that specifically for the solitaire game? Because in the multiplayer, you can take as many occupations as you can pay food for from the fixed action space on the board?

Don't have my rules in front of me ATM...

ninja

From the rules:
"A player can use the 1 Occupation Action space(s) to play one of these cards face-up on the table."

--edit--
Also, the action spaces are called "1 Occupation" in the English version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Voisin
United States
Lockport
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only do 1 Occupation at a time, unless you have some other card already in play to break that rule.
Example: the Writing Desk, is 1 there may be others
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Whitfield
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The plow field and take grain is really the best option in the solo game unless you can play the seasonal worker card. Seasonal worker combined with master brewer is an awesome combination in the solo game especially if you already have them played. This combination virtually eliminates the food problem beginning the game. Anyone should be able to score in the 70s with these two starting out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See others re: only ONE Occupation per use of the space.

As to deviating from PLOW/GRAIN...

I got Plowmaker (when you plow, pay a food to plow a second) and Seasonal Worker (from Day Laborer, take also 1 grain).

Turn 1.1: Occupation (Seasonal Worker).
Turn 1.2: Take 2 food + 1 grain

Turn 2.1: Occupation (Plow Maker) -1 food
Turn 2.2: Take 2 food + 1 grain

Turn 3.1: Plow x2 (-1 food)

Putting me at: 2 occupations, 2 food, 2 grain and 3 remaining action before the harvest.

Compare that to:
1.1: Grain
1.2: Plow
2.1: Plow ( to mix things up)
2.2: Grain
3.1: Day Laborer
Which has the same 2 food, 2 grain, 3 actions and no occupations out.

___

The real question is if what I did next was wise.
Turn 3.2: Take 2 food + 1 grain

(4 food, 3 grain, 2 fields, 2 occupations)

Turn 4.1: Plow x2 (-1 food)
Turn 4.2: Sow/bake bread, 3 grains into 3 fields.

Harvest:
Eat 3 food and 3 newly harvested grains.

It left me with no grains to bake bread with in Phase 2, but put me up a fallow field which I could (with Seaonsal Worker) get a veggie in turn 6 to plant in turn 7 if wanted.

Sadly, the entire game was invalidated by the error of putting 3 wood (not 2) onto the Wood Cart, which really skewed things and it wasn't until round 13 that I realized what I'd done.

=====

To that end, we need a 'SOLO CARD" which can be placed over the wood cart to prevent such silly mistakes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
I once had the same combo (Seasonal Worker + Plowmaker) and did the same as you did with one exception: I didn't plow twice the second time to save that 1 food. So I had to eat just two grain and saved one for a clay oven. Later I've also built a stone oven and food was no problem any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a one-off solo game, Seasonal Worker and probably Master Brewer are the only things I can think of that would deter me from doing Plow-Grain-Plow-Grain-Plow-Grain-Sow-Fish for my first eight moves. If you're shooting for a score in the 60's or 70's, you really need to get grain planted early in order to have enough food.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Lewis
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jstahl wrote:
colinkun wrote:

Maybe I am misinterpreting the rule:

On the 1 Occupation Action space that is printed on the lefthand
game board, a player’s first Occupation is free, and each
additional Occupation costs 1 Food.

I understand that to mean I can play more than one when I select this action at a cost of 1 food for each additional occupation. So, if I have 6 food on hand, I can play all 7 of my occupations at once. Is this wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Lewis
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So after thinking about it, I can only play one each turn. But I must also pay one food after my first one. I guess I have been playing it wrong. Ooops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Voisin
United States
Lockport
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, when taking that action look at your face up cards, no Occupations in play, than it's free, 1 or more already out it's than costing you some food.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
In a one-off solo game, Seasonal Worker and probably Master Brewer are the only things I can think of that would deter me from doing Plow-Grain-Plow-Grain-Plow-Grain-Sow-Fish for my first eight moves. If you're shooting for a score in the 60's or 70's, you really need to get grain planted early in order to have enough food.

Are there cases where replacing a plow-grain with occupation-day labor would make sense? I would assume this would be an action crunch of some sort, where you need to play the occupation in phase 2, but don't have quite enough actions to get done what you need to get done.

Charles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChazIsidore wrote:
Are there cases where replacing a plow-grain with occupation-day labor would make sense?

I'm sure you could construct a case where that would be true, but I don't find it to be generally helpful. I just don't find that very many Occupations are worth spending a whole Action on, especially in the very beginning. In a multi-player game, Occupations are lot more worthwhile to play, because you generally play them when other Actions are undesirable (low resource accumulation) or unavailable (already taken). Neither of those is an issue in solo play - you really need to make every Action a big one. At least as far as the E deck Occupations are concerned, I don't see many Occupations providing benefits greater than the Action you spend in taking them. And those that might are just as well played in the late game (like Mason or Lord of the Manor).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.