4 Posts

Race for the Galaxy» Forums » Sessions

Subject: New Sparta tries to break into consumer markets rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hun Yang Ng
Singapore
flag msg tools
I asked for a rematch right after my last game with my brother. "I lost to Mining League, not you!", I claimed.

So, I picked New Sparta again while my brother picked Earth's Lost Colony, a world he had problems previously.

I got a novelty windfall world and Consumer Markets (consume: novelty good -> 1 VP (3X), produce: draw card for each produced novelty good), and after a draw, got another novelty production world, so I became fixated on playing the Consumer Markets. I was confident I could draw another novelty world in the future.

I was finally able to play Consumer Markets as my fourth card. Unfortunately for me, my brother also played this card on this turn.

I knew I was in trouble. My brother's starting world, Earth's Lost Colony (consume: any good -> 1 VP, produce: novelty), was a novelty production world. He must have at least another novelty world, or he wouldn't play this card.

Plus, his other cards were Pre-Sentient Race (genes windfall) and Plague World (genes production world; consume: genes good -> 1 card 1 VP, produce: genes).

With the next expected novelty world, he would have a decent produce/consume engine.

Not surprisingly, in the next turn he settled Spice World (trade: novelty +2 cards, produce: novelty) and produced. And on the following turn, consume 2x VP/produce to get 8 VPs.

I believe I played settle, so my brother was able to settle Mining World (produce: rare, +1 card if produced). And he was able to produce on it immediately. Ouch!

The next round, my brother played his usual consume 2x VP/produce. I developed (I forgot why), so he put down Terraforming Robots (settle: +1 card, consume: rare -> 1 card 1 VP) and consumed 2x VP to get 10 VPs. Double ouch! There were just 6 VPs left.

(I depended on him to produce for me too, cruical for the last round.)

Since it was the last round, my brother developed New Economy and consume 2x VP. I settled Tourist World (2 goods -> 3 VPs) and consumed 2x VP to get 8 VPs in total.

Our scores were 28 to 46. (New Economy contributed 9 points.)

Where did I go wrong?

1. I was too fixated on playing Consumer Markets even after I got Tourist World. I should have played the latter instead, but I was seduced by the free cards on produce.

2. I didn't leech my brother's actions. I should assume my brother would go for a standard produce/consume gameplay and prefer cards that can leech on the produce phase, especially. It was too late when I started paying attention (on his 4th card).

3. On the other hand, my brother leeched onto my actions perfectly. He had done this in the last two games as well and just annoyed the hell out of me!

He leeched on my settle several times. It wasn't even safe to settle even when he was low on cards -- he had some cheap but useful worlds! So, even double develop, double settle all helped my brother to some extent whereas his produce/consume only benefited him. (I was short of cards in the first half of the game, so I couldn't settle much too.)

4. I did not realize the consume/produce engine can be setup so early and quickly. My brother had learnt from his past failures and now tries to get VP asap. That means by the 3rd or 4th card!

It is tough to beat a consume/produce engine with New Sparta (without the right opening cards), but if there's one thing you must know, it's that New Sparta will never give up! angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nhyone wrote:
but if there's one thing you must know, it's that New Sparta will never give up! angry

Of course not, it could not bear the name of Sparta otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm Sparticus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Cornelius
msg tools
No, I'm Sparticus... and so's my wife! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.