27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Russian Campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
carpetbeggar carpetbeggar
msg tools

Just wondering if anyone here plays or has played the old Avalon Hill board game, The Russian Campaign?

Also I'm new here and I was wondering if many people post here that are into historical military board games?
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings! There are a fair number of wargamers around here, as you'll find as you poke around more.

There's actually a whole page devoted to the AH version of The Russian Campaign (a favorite of mine), where there's a lot of discussion. A lot of the attention has moved on to the new edition of it that came out a few years ago, The Russian Campaign (fourth and fifth editions).

Your best bet is to track down the games you like, and join in the conversation.

Welcome to the 'Geek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Visit the Wargaming forum. You'll get not only a higher number of responses, but also generally more informed ones about this wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We should do a roll call.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Matchen
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cambot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the geek! The Russian Campaign (4th edition) is one of my favorite East Front treatments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools

Thanks for the reponses guys. I hope to spend more and more time here as the months go on. I'm kinda new to the board game hobby although my Father has played The Russian Campaign for a long as I can remember and I'm now thirty-four. It's a great game and I'm looking forward to getting the new edition of the game with the whole North African Campaign thing added for fun. The game he has now all the game pieces are all faded away basically from over-use and from sunlight. Is there any way to apply something to new game pieces when we get them to keep them from fading, some kind of coating, tape or something? What do you guys find works best?
Thanks again guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also want to have a look at Russia Besieged, which is a sort of advanced version of Russian campaign, made by the same company as the 4th edition version of RC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Marlowe_PI wrote:
Cambot!

Gypsy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
You should check into this 'item' closely then: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/164497

It is an add-on for the BASIC "Game", while you could also COPY, SAVE, and PRINT out an entirely NEW 'set' of the counters if you required those, from the images with them.
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Matchen
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
Marlowe_PI wrote:
Cambot!

Gypsy!

Tom Servo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
You should check into this 'item' closely then: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/164497

It is an add-on for the BASIC "Game", while you could also COPY, SAVE, and PRINT out an entirely NEW 'set' of the counters if you required those, from the images with them.
cool

Your post is too easy to read! Are you slipping?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Matchen
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He's out of colored ink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marlowe_PI wrote:
He's out of colored ink.

No, he's doing high-g manoeuvres and the blood has drained from his head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Humphreys
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marlowe_PI wrote:
jonnylawless wrote:
Marlowe_PI wrote:
Cambot!

Gypsy!

Tom Servo!

Crooooooow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check out Russian Front! It is better than TRC but has more complexity! It might be too much for you to handle, maybe!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
JackFlash wrote:
GROGnads wrote:

cool

Your post is too easy to read! Are you slipping?

The other kids took the rest of his crayons...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ziegler
United States
Huntingdon Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember the game. I played it a few times. Some consider it a classic in the Avalon Hill line. I always liked the simplicity of Stalingrad better. The idea of sectors being limited in the initial stages of attack was always a nice feature and certainly the rail markers are useful. But the game took a bit to set up and Stalingrad was easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
Gypsy!

Do not try shrink me, Gypsy. I serious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William (Andy) Anderson
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My counters are still new and the game is over 25 years old, but I don't play it outdoors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
GROGnads wrote:
;) You should check into this 'item' closely then: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/164497

:cool:

Thanks. What is the difference between these counters from one of the present editions from the edition that my father has which is definitely a very early edition from the early 80's^
I notice the OB charts from that link is different from my Father's version. I'm very new to this so any info. you guys can give would be greatly appreciated. Also what is the best way to attach "new" printed counters to the old heavy stock ones that came with the game^
Thanks again for any help you can give on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Bump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
GROGnads wrote:

cool

carpetbeggar wrote:
Thanks. What is the difference between these counters from one of the present editions from the edition that my father has which is definitely a very early edition from the early 80's^
I notice the OB charts from that link is different from my Father's version. I'm very new to this so any info. you guys can give would be greatly appreciated. Also what is the best way to attach "new" printed counters to the old heavy stock ones that came with the game^
Oh, and that ADDS some additional 'Forces' into the "mix" now. With these, then you can TRY out something NEW & "improved" using these 'concepts' and WHY not? And yeah, I'm SAVING the "colors" for like such as this "stuff":

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/334654

surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Blanchett
United States
St Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Those charts and counters are modifications for the original The Russian Campaign (TRC). You don't attach these to the old ones... they are additional counters which you can print out and make yourself. The charts are altered to accommodate the new units. The problem with stuff like this is that it alters the play of the game. Balance may suffer if not tested to a sufficient degree. Use at your own risk...

EDIT: Grognads posted at the same time... so I added what I was responding to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Thanks again guys.
What do you guys find is the best way as far as materials to use, etc; for making your own counters?
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.