Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that if a cheaper harbor space becomes unoccupied you can't simply move your ship over from the more costly space. However, would you be able to sail out and back to the same city by use of a destination card? If using red seals, would it cost one or two red seals?

I'm not sure if it would even be worth it (at least in most cases), but was just wondering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would take the rule literally - you can't return on the same turn. As you surmise, it would not be worth it. The difference is always a single doubloon. Sailing out and back using seals would cost 5 - you'd need to stay five MORE turns. I suppose it might be done for 2 if you had two identical point-to-point passages. Remember that you can't build more than (3 or 4) adjacent warehouses.

In short, it's a non issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't think much of it at first, either. But I got to thinking, what if you were limited on cash (could only afford a cheap warehouse) and sailing out and back could give you warehouse majority?

I know, it's a little bit of a stretch, but there could possibly be some scenarios that could bring it into question.

Here is the rule text: "If your ship is anchoring on the more costly harbor space you may not move to the cheaper one in case it becomes unoccupied."

My line of thinking leads me to believe that this just implies you can't simply scoot over as I don't see anything that says you can't sail out around and back to the same city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just checked the online rules, and it doesn't preclude sailing from a city back to the same city. In fact, the rules say you can use a Destination card to sail to the city on the card, "no matter where your ship currently is." By that definition, you could be in Tunis, and play a Tunis destination card to sail to Tunis, arriving at an open harbor.

The rules for City Interconnection cards say you can sail as many routes as you want, as long at the city you intend to build in has an open harbor. So, if you wanted to sail from Tunis to Valencia, then Valencia back to Tunis, just to arrive at the cheaper harbor, you could do that.

As Jonathan said, in most cases this wouldn't be an efficient use of resources, and so would make sense to do. However, if it was the only way to build your last warehouse on a round, and you really wanted to trigger the end of the round instead of taking a loan, then you may want to burn the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.