Subject: Town Elder Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Daley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that I understand most of the rules associated with this game except for some of the Town Elder and Secret Cards.

Hopefully I can make my questions clear.

1. When a player spends Investigation to look at a Town Elder Secret, and they come across a Reveal Immediately card, are they required to show it? The rule book states that certain Event cards don't require you to actually Reveal Immediately, but I wasn't sure about the looking by using Investigation Tokens.

2. What if they use Investigation and they come across an Evil Secret, are they required to show that to everyone, or is it kept to themselves?

3. If a player decides to NOT reveal that Reveal Immediately card (because they peeked at it using an Event card), can they reveal that card at any time during the game, or would they have to find a way to peek at it again to Reveal it?

4. When going to a Showdown, can a player select a Town Elder who is already in a hunting party (Hero to the People) or another space on the board (On the Hunt) to go with them?

5. At the beginning of each Showdown Fight Round, can a player still spend Investigaton Tokens to look at other Town Elders in the hopes of drawing one with a "Hero of the People" Secret and a chance to gain a 3rd Elder to assist them? Or, if that Secret has been previously revealed, can a player pay the 4 Investigation to have that Elder join them (even though two Elders are already with them)?

6. Similarly, if a player already has a Town Elder in their party because of a Hero of the People Secret and they start a Showdown, do they still get to select two additional Elders to join them, or just one?

7. If a Town Elder has a No Effect Secret and they are selected to join a party for a Showdown, do they still participate, or are they just considered neutral and don't participate on either side?

Any other additional information or insight into the Town Elders would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nickmodaily wrote:
I believe that I understand most of the rules associated with this game except for some of the Town Elder and Secret Cards.

Hopefully I can make my questions clear.

1. When a player spends Investigation to look at a Town Elder Secret, and they come across a Reveal Immediately card, are they required to show it? The rule book states that certain Event cards don't require you to actually Reveal Immediately, but I wasn't sure about the looking by using Investigation Tokens.

2. What if they use Investigation and they come across an Evil Secret, are they required to show that to everyone, or is it kept to themselves?

3. If a player decides to NOT reveal that Reveal Immediately card (because they peeked at it using an Event card), can they reveal that card at any time during the game, or would they have to find a way to peek at it again to Reveal it?

4. When going to a Showdown, can a player select a Town Elder who is already in a hunting party (Hero to the People) or another space on the board (On the Hunt) to go with them?

5. At the beginning of each Showdown Fight Round, can a player still spend Investigaton Tokens to look at other Town Elders in the hopes of drawing one with a "Hero of the People" Secret and a chance to gain a 3rd Elder to assist them? Or, if that Secret has been previously revealed, can a player pay the 4 Investigation to have that Elder join them (even though two Elders are already with them)?

6. Similarly, if a player already has a Town Elder in their party because of a Hero of the People Secret and they start a Showdown, do they still get to select two additional Elders to join them, or just one?

7. If a Town Elder has a No Effect Secret and they are selected to join a party for a Showdown, do they still participate, or are they just considered neutral and don't participate on either side?

Any other additional information or insight into the Town Elders would be greatly appreciated.

1. I believe that unless you're doing it as a result of an event card that says otherwise, "Reveal Immediately" means you reveal it immediately.

2. You are not required to. This is the idea of accusing an elder of being evil when someone else goes to fight the villain (in the competitive game.) You say, "Hey that guy's evil", and then the other guy has more people to fight.

3/4. Um...I'll wait for Jason to show up on this one.

5. I think not. Peeking at an elder's secrets is one of the actions you take while encountering a space, so it doesn't seem like you should be able to do it in the middle of the showdown. Right before, yes, but not during. Claiming them with 4 investigation seems to be an action also, so you could also do that right before you start the showdown.

6. I think so. A Hero of the People is pretty much just like an ally at that point, right?

7. Unless they're evil (or a coward), they fight.

Hopefully I didn't get anything wrong here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hill
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb

Sounds like Matt is pretty much spot on. Also, most of these questions seem to relate directly to the 'Advanced Game' Secrets. They are a little more in depth, and that is why they are saved for after you have a good grasp on all of the Basics. Here is further clarification on each of these points:

Nickmodaily wrote:

Yes. As noted on page 23 of the Rulebook, the only time you would not have to reveal a 'Reveal Immediately' Secret is if the card or ability being used to look/peek at it actually says, "...without revealing". Paying Investigation as an Action to look at a Town Elder's Secrets DOES require you to reveal any marked as 'Reveal Immediately'.

Nickmodaily wrote:

Unless the Evil Secret is marked as "Reveal Immediately", it should be kept to yourself.

Nickmodaily wrote:

The player would have to use a card/ability/or pay Investigation as an Action to look at the Secret again in order to reveal it.

Nickmodaily wrote:

When starting a Showdown, the Hero may choose from the Town Elders that are currently 'In Town', sitting at the top of the game board. This DOES include Elders that are 'On the Hunt' as their card is still at the top of the game board (even though their counter is on the map somewhere). It DOES NOT include Elders that are currently attached to a Hero such as with 'Hero of the People' as their Elder card is NOT 'In Town' sitting at the top of the game board.

Nickmodaily wrote:

No to either of these. Both of these are Actions and may only be done in the Hero's 'Take Actions' phase during their own turn. You can't stop in the middle of one Action to take another and fighting the whole Showdown is a single Action.

Nickmodaily wrote:

They may still take 2 Town Elders along as their Hunting Party. The Town Elder that is with the Hero as a 'Hero of the People' is not technically part of the Hunting Party (he is more similar to an Ally). The 'Hero of the People' will NOT be attacked separately by the Villain like the Hunting Party Town Elders are.

Nickmodaily wrote:

The term 'No Effect' on a Secret card only means that the Secret itself has no lasting effect on the gameplay. The Town Elder still functions normally in every way including being part of a Hunting Party.

I hope that helps clear things up. The Advanced Secret cards are a little more in depth and that is why they are set aside during the Basic Game.

- Jason

Jason C. Hill
Flying Frog Productions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Daley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Matt and Jason. That answers my questions perfectly. I appreciate the quick reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Robinson
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Jack of All Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple last questions about the Town Elders. Maybe I missed it in the book, but is there a limit to the number of times in a turn I can pay to look at the Town Elder's secrets and do I need to be somewhere in town when I do this or can I be investigating them from the Abandonded Keep or some such place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hill
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
branwheat wrote:
Couple last questions about the Town Elders. Maybe I missed it in the book, but is there a limit to the number of times in a turn I can pay to look at the Town Elder's secrets and do I need to be somewhere in town when I do this or can I be investigating them from the Abandonded Keep or some such place.

Any of the Actions (including looking at the Secrets of a Town Elder) may be taken as many times as you like, in whatever order you like, with the exception of those listed as 'Limit once per turn'.

These Actions may be taken regardless of where you are on the board.

- Jason

Jason C. Hill
Flying Frog Productions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seiya V
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone!
mbmbmbmbmb
If town elders get more than 1 secret does the evil secret trump all the other secrets? As in if a town elder gets evil and pure or evil and "on the hunt" is he just plain evil?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Pritchard
United States
Highlands Ranch
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seiyaaa wrote:
If town elders get more than 1 secret does the evil secret trump all the other secrets? As in if a town elder gets evil and pure or evil and "on the hunt" is he just plain evil?

I'd like to know the definitive answer to this one as well. In a solo game last night, one of the elders had "Hero of the People" and one of the reveal immediately evil cards. Which one should apply?
My take is he may have been a righteous hero to the people at one time, but the darkness finally corrupted him. Seems more plausible than he was evil before, but is now a hero of the people - so I made him evil and he joined the Scarecrow.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh H
msg tools

I'd say "Evil" trumps all other secrets

I believe that the reason cards that add more secrets to the Elders are to give them greater chances of becoming evil not the other way around

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rompot
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you start a Showdown at a location that has a Town Elder already there because of "On The Hunt", does the Town Elder modify your attributes during the showdown?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.