Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim van Dongen
Netherlands
Wageningen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mb
Ah, the game of chess. The most beautiful game in the world. Why, your would ask, is such an abstract, boring, and complex game so populair and has it survived for so many centuries? Well, because it isn't boring, at least if you want to win and want to have mental superiority over your opponent.

Often I hear critics say: "All the games are alike" or "I was a good player, but I made stupid mistakes". None of this is true. I have played thousands of games in my life and none was like the other. Chess is a game, a sport, where you never stop learning yourself. If you put time in it, analyzing your played matches, studing books, there seems to be no limit your skills cannot pass.

To master chess is to master TACTICS not so much strategy. You alway try to look ahead: If I play this move what could be the next moves of my opponent? Then what will I repley, what will he repley on my repley again? This seeing ahead is the most difficult thing because of the many possibilities and limited time.

In chess there is no element of luck. The game is completely under your control. There is only you and the board and the chessmen. There is no way you can be defeated if you move correctly. There is no such thing as: I'm not sure this move is correct, but I play it anyway. If you're not sure don't play it, think harder. This also means once defeated it's you to blaim! Critisizing an opponent's mistake is easy, rather critisize yourself not taking advantage of it.

NofCups

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Miller
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:User Review
NofCups wrote:
[Chess] isn't boring, at least if you want to win and want to have mental superiority over your opponent.

But what if I don't care about mental superiority over my opponent? I think you've just summed up why I and so many others don't enjoy playing Chess, and two-player luckless abstracts in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
November 11, 1918 - end of WW-I
badge
Lest we forget
mb
If U like thinking, play chess. Or Go. If you like (a bit of) luck, play, euh... well... all the other games
laugh
Chess is a great game. Like so many other games. I find neither boring.

My 5 cts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NofCups (#4073),

Tim,

I don't know if I would say tactics are that much more important than strategy in chess, at least as defined by chessplayers.

There really isn't a lot you can do if your opponent is superior tactically. But strategy, the maneuvering to make your pieces attain more activity and bettter squares, is just as critical if not moreso. The great Capablanca was a strategist.

A good exampel was Spielmann, a great tactician, who once had a famous quote. he said, ' I can find combinations as well as Alekhine. I just can't get into the position to sue them.'

Spielmann was right. Alekhine started with good strategy, which allowed his great tactics. The tactics of Andersson fell to the strategy of Steinitz.

Anyway, I do think your review is otherwise right on.

Breunor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NofCups (#4073),

Tim,

I don't know if I would say tactics are that much more important than strategy in chess, at least as defined by chessplayers.

There really isn't a lot you can do if your opponent is superior tactically. But strategy, the maneuvering to make your pieces attain more activity and bettter squares, is just as critical if not moreso. The great Capablanca was a strategist.

A good exampel was Spielmann, a great tactician, who once had a famous quote. he said, ' I can find combinations as well as Alekhine. I just can't get into the position to sue them.'

Spielmann was right. Alekhine started with good strategy, which allowed his great tactics. The tactics of Andersson fell to the strategy of Steinitz.

Anyway, I do think your review is otherwise right on.

Breunor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Shannon
Australia
flag msg tools

In the long run both I'd say tactics and strategy are equally important (one will never be world champion without being an expert in both). For the beginner however, tactics are probably the first thing to learn (and therefore 'more important' if two beginners are playing each other). One can show a beginner the idea of a fork/skewer/back rank etc...one can easily grasp the trick behind a one or two move combination. Over time though, both beginners will pick up these ideas and therefor both avoid falling into them so readily. At this stage, long term planning about how to carry out an overall goal or attack (i.e. strategy) becomes important, and the beginner who first starts playing with such a plan will quickly become superior to the tactics-only player. Once a player has achieved their stategic goals e.g. pieces occuping weak squares, pawn weaknesses in opponents camp, pieces aimed at opponents king, tactical ideas will appear readily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.