Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[Also published on CivFanatics]

This variant is really very well-balanced as well as fun to play. It is an excellent compressed version of the Civ concept, so kudos to Mr Rhye for making it available to the rest of us. It shows that he has a good grasp of the game's essentials, and it also shows that his adeptness at creating mods for the different PC versions actually carries over into the more physical realm of the boardgame.

There are some minor quibbles as well as some omissions, and there may certainly be room for further improvement. The most obvious is a streamlined set of rules or at least a brief summary, which I therefore created for myself. I will report said items to Mr Rhye. The variant itself, however, is eminently playable.

The available governments and religions are a very nice addition. It forces the players to contemplate if the time is right to switch their government, for instance from Monarchy to Republic, which gives double cash for each city or village. Players must weigh the advantages of another government or religion against the action they 'lose' to have a Revolution.

Because of the actions mechanism, players are constantly having to decide whether to cash in this turn, because they need to add new units or upgrade existing units or villages; or for instance to go for a new technology first. Or perhaps to have a revolution, because a new religion can add a defence or attack die for each battle, and certain governments result in a dramatic increase in income. There is even the possibility of a fascist or communist state, which when founded will immediately destabilize all monarchies and republics. The stability principle works really well, too, keeping all the players on their toes, because no one wants to risk a revolt or a civil war. Everyone may need to spend an action now and then to restore stability.

There is the danger for a change of pace halfway through the game, from lots of movement to almost no movement on the board whatsoever. Once all the territories are explored (and subsequently mostly settled), everyone can dig in, and the game can swiftly move from Action card to Action card. Although this speeds up the game considerably, it also makes the second stage of the game a little more repetitive. Different unit statistics might remedy this, but that is of course subject to subsequent testing.

The trade mechanism also speeds up the spread of new technologies, since you can trade anything except Wonders. This in turn also speeds up the game - since one of the victory conditions is that the game ends once all technologies are discovered. (Well, actually the game ends 5 turns later, but by that time you will already know who will win.)

The complete absence of city micromanagement is a true blessing for this variant. Gone are the days of painstakingly trying to calculate the income for each of your separate cities each turn. Rhye's simple, but elegant income system simply works, and works very well. I also did not miss the age divisions, which are completely absent in this variant.

All in all, this is truly a great, streamlined variant that breathes much needed new life into an otherwise rather unplayable and extremely lengthy game (with a lot of bookkeeping) that was collecting dust in my house. There are some blanks that are not made clear by the author, which I will report to him. I filled those in myself before we first started to play. However, all of the additions combine well, and really make for a shorter, tenser and much more FUN gaming experience.

Thanks, Mr Rhye!

[See also my session report on Rhye's and Fall of Civilization in the Sessions section]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please confirm this is actually modification of the boardgame version. I ask, because I actually own the first edition, and didn't think the game would ever get salvaged. If it does work, that would be great. If so, I have several questions and comments:
1. Will this work with the first edition set of rules?
2. Can you add a link to where this can be downloaded?
3. If it revamps the game, anyone here think that it should get its own entry, the same way expansion packs get their own entry?
4. Can someone contact Drover or FRED about this? If it works, it might be possible to get this new version released. I know, like in the case of myself, there is a eager desire to get a quick playing Civilization that doesn't bog down and has sufficient depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Surya Van Lierde is pure Eurosnoot and proud of it!
Belgium
Michelbeke
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
docreason wrote:
there is a eager desire to get a quick playing Civilization that doesn't bog down

Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had this sitting around for a bit and am really looking forward to trying it out as well. It looks like it makes the combat really much more like the PC game than it originally was.

docreason wrote:
Please confirm this is actually modification of the boardgame version. I ask, because I actually own the first edition, and didn't think the game would ever get salvaged. If it does work, that would be great. If so, I have several questions and comments:
3. If it revamps the game, anyone here think that it should get its own entry, the same way expansion packs get their own entry?
4. Can someone contact Drover or FRED about this? If it works, it might be possible to get this new version released. I know, like in the case of myself, there is a eager desire to get a quick playing Civilization that doesn't bog down and has sufficient depth.

This post on the mod has links to the download page and forum page on CivFanatics:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/327966

It should work fine with the first edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I did not expect reactions to come in so quickly.

Richard:
Quote:
Please confirm this is actually modification of the boardgame version.

Yes, this is a mod designed by Rhye over on CivFanatics. It includes a number of new printable cards and charts, as well as a readme. In effect, this becomes a different game. Note, however, that all the information is scattered over the readme and the charts. As I mentioned above it is not streamlined yet. This is the Beta version of Rhye's rules.

Quote:

Yes, I also own the first edition, although I later also bought the coloured minis, which work a lot better.

Quote:

Thanks, Aaron, for pointing him in the right direction. For completeness' sake, here is the link to the forum discussion on CivFanatics, where you can also download the mod:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=273983

Quote:

Please note that this is not an official expansion of any kind. Rhye is just creating a game variant that appears, to me at least, to work a lot better than the original.

Quote:

Well it might be a bit early days for this, although this is really up to Mr Rhye, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwig Nijholt
Netherlands
flag msg tools
coolPretty good (and extensive) review!

I suggest translating the rules/player aid sheets so everyone can enjoy this.

Yours truly,

JEELEN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just uploaded a reference sheet for the latest version of Rhye's rules, 1.02. Should be up soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it was not up soon, because it was declined with vague reasons. But it is up now! Enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.