Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
This year went by too fast!

So I'm sure we have a list of missed plays from 2007. I know I have. Guess I need to get on the ball to play the games I missed from 2007. Most of these I know friends own, so no excuses.

Stone Age- So many accolades for this one, I should get on it to play.
Thebes- I am like the only person on earth who hasn't played or what?
Vikings- Wonder what I'm missing here.
Kingsburg- Yatzee? Hard to tell, should play.
Metropolys- A ystari I haven't picked up yet.
Nefertiti- This one's getting a lot of good press.

I guess I should try and get all these played before turning in me votes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My ranking of these games:

1. Vikings- great super-filler with the unique “purchasing wheel”. I prefer playing with the special tiles but not the optional auction rules.
2. Kingsburg- Lots of dice rolling and moderate amount of luck, but always seem to enjoy playing. Probably plays best with 3 or 4. Don’t play with 5.
3. Stone Age- worker placement with more luck than most of this genre, but probably more fun as a result.
4. Metropolys- Dry movement and bidding game.
5. Nefertiti- reminded me of Amyitis in the sense of a clever mishmash of mechanics, but felt disconnected from gameplay.
6. Thebes- intolerable amount of luck (and downtime) that soured the experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
From one dyed-in-the-wool EuroGamer to another.

Stone Age - Get this game. Yeah, it's got dice. But it's also got curly haired meeples! The game comes with its own leather dice cup -- how cool is that? And it is a blast to play. Return to what first moved you to play Euros, as this game recaptures that. Plus, the best player almost always wins, so the "luck factor" is mininal despite all the dice rolls. Buy it. Your collection and game play will be happier with it.

Thebes - Good use of theme. Decent game. I like it a lot, but do not love it. Still, it is a good way to spend an hour, as the theme really grabs you. And any downtime you experience will be because of your own actions; with experienced players, this game tends to move at a pretty good clip.

Vikings - I cannot wait to play this one. Someone in out club just got it, but the stars did not allign correctly for us to play it. I will let you know more once I look under its hood.

Kingsburg - I did not think that I would like this game. "Lots of dice, which leads to lots of luck, and few strategic decisions," thought I. But then I played it. Kingsburg gets better and I enjoy it more with each successive play. Luck? Sure there is some. But the way the game is structured, with several unique catch-up mechanisms, that a player with poor luck can still win the game (in fact, I did just that in my last game, a 5 player affair). Try it and you, just like me and other Eurogamers, might just become hooked by this charmer.

Metropolys - The art is good and it is a Yistari title, so those are two factors to make me want to try it, but I have not had a chance to play this one yet. But, boy, do I want to.

Nefertiti - I adore this game. It is a challenging game with an odd, no unique auction mechanic. Overall, Nefertiti is unlike any other game I have played. What do I like about it? The art, for one. The game play, which is fast and furious. The decision making process, both in how to play the auctions and in deciding what to based on my position once one starts (ie, a Market "closes"). There is strategic depth with the use of Characters, trying to decide when to use them and which one to call. I am quite happy to have it in my collection, and everyone I have taught it to (the real EuroSnobs) then went out to buy it; so that says something about its merits. Will you like it? Judging by your taste in games, I would give this a Yes.

2007-2008 has been a good period for games, and many of those mentioned above have made it so. Now, go on Mike, and take the plunge. You have nothing to lose except about $100+!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this almost calls for an Emergency Game Day. Too bad you aren't around on Labor Day.

You gotta try Kingsburg and Thebes for sure. Both are great. Vikings is decent as is Stone Age. Nefertiti was good enough that we are putting it on our next order. Metropolys looks kind of boring to me but I wouldn't mind trying it. I'm not as keen on Ystari games as the rest of the gaming world.

Good grief. You are going to lose your membership in the Cult of the New!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your top games, I don't think you'll like Thebes as there's a lot of luck; but my dislike stems more from the lack of player interaction, which you don't seem to have a problem with, so you may enjoy it if you can put up with the luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like pretty much every game on that list to some degree. Get 'em played!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse McGatha
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My take on these:

Stone Age- Definitely, thumbs up.
Thebes- Thumbs up. Does have a random factor though.
Vikings- Not missing much here. I had people tell me both "it's okay, but play the advanced game" and "it's okay but play the basic game". My opinion is I'd pass on both. Meh. Thumbs down.
Kingsburg- Thumbs up, barely.
Metropolys- Don't bother picking this one up. Big thumbs down for me.
Nefertiti- Big thumbs up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
SusanRoz wrote:
Wow, this almost calls for an Emergency Game Day. Too bad you aren't around on Labor Day.

You gotta try Kingsburg and Thebes for sure. Both are great. Vikings is decent as is Stone Age. Nefertiti was good enough that we are putting it on our next order. Metropolys looks kind of boring to me but I wouldn't mind trying it. I'm not as keen on Ystari games as the rest of the gaming world.

Good grief. You are going to lose your membership in the Cult of the New!

I am a definite maybe on labor day! I might even be dragging the wife along as well. (But she may be teaching class though)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flowerkin wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
Thebes- I am like the only person on earth who hasn't played or what?
If you are the only guy, I'm the only girl. I gotta get a this game played.
Sorry, neither of you are alone. Must... play....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Actually, I would say skip them all because you won't be missing much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.