Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
In honor of the Olympics, I pulled out my battered copy of Decathlon for the first time in 20+ years. While looking through some old games, I remembered that Jim Thorpe was the strongest athlete in the original game. In fact, he had won about 80% of the recorded games that were in my copy. I decided to play with the seven original athletes (Campbell, Johnson, Kuznetsov, Mathias, Thorpe, Toomey and Yang) to see if Thorpe could be beaten.

The first event is the 100M dash. Campell, Toomey and Yang all tie with a time of 10.6.

The second event is the Long Jump. Thorpe and Kuznetsov claim victory with a jump of 25' 6". After two events, the leader is Campbell with 1865 points, with Thorpe in second with 1810.

The third event is the Shot Put. Mathias has the best throw at 61 feet, which gives him the overall lead at 2800 points. Thorpe is second with 2775 and Campbell is a close third at 2770.

The fourth event is the High Jump. Thorpe is the clear class of the event, clearing 7'. Second place goes to Campbell at 6'7". Thorpe takes the overall lead at 3740 with Mathias in second at 3640.

The last event of the first day is the 400M run. Toomey takes the event with a time of 46.8. Thorpe and Johnsoon tie for second with a time of 47.2.

End of the first day scoring:

Thorpe: 4680
Campbell: 4545
Mathias: 4490
Johnson: 4305
Kuznetsov 4225
Toomey (injured): 4195
Yang (injured): 4080

The second and final day of competition begins with the 110M High Hurdles. Campbell finishes in first with a time of 14.0. Thorpe is second with a time of 14.2 and remains the overall leader.

The next event is the Discus. Kuznetsov dominates with a throw of 182 but Thorpe once again finishes second with a throw of 169 and extends his overall lead.

The third event of the day is the Pole Vault. In a mild upset, Kuznetsov wins with a jump of 15'4" over the favorite Yang, who managed 15'. Thorpe only cleared 13'8", but remained in first with a score of 7365. Campbell was a distant second with 7115 and Mathias third with 7085.

The fourth event of the day is the Javelin. Kuznetsov takes his third event in a row with a throw of 233'. Yang finishes second with a toss of 225 and Thorpe comes in third with a throw of 213'.

The last event is the 1500M run. Thorpe is a huge favorite and he wins easily with a time of 4:18. Toomey finished second with a time of 4:33 and Mathias completed the run in 4:48.

Final Scores:

Thorpe: 8860 (Gold)
Kuznetsov: 8390 (Silver)
Campbell: 8305 (Bronze)
Mathias: 8305 (Bronze)
Johnson (Injured): 7870
Toomey: 7865
Yang: 7160

Note: Per the information provided by John below, Campbell wins the tiebreaker over Mathias and takes the Bronze.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Love
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Decathlon was run as a tournament at Avaloncon and then the World Boardgaming Championships (WBC) from 1995 to 2002, never drawing fewer than 39 players, and had a high of 50 in 2000. The game was seen as unbalanced, so the gamemaster used the following handicaps, to add to or subtract from the final scores of the athletes:

Your Picture Here -460
Thorpe -345
Kuznetzov -90
Johnson 0 (Baseline)
Mathias +95
Campbell +120
Yang +190
Toome +240

Someone took the first place plaque with Toome once, (and I took 2nd place with him once ninja ) because of the handicap system. It was a nice tournament because you could put up to 8 at a board. You didn't need a lot of boards to handle a big group. Johnson was doing well the last few years, so the GM was contemplating a future subtraction handicap for him, to ensure balance. To speed play, they had a rule that one person would roll for everyone in the 1500m run, until the athlete reached the 1200m (120 spaces) mark, at which time everyone rolled for themselves. I joined a local game group who played it Thursday, using these handicaps. A dice rolling game with some decisions about risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was the games club host for the Thursday night session that Mark referenced. For a recap of what happened, check the games club's blog here:

http://gcomlaurelcc.blogspot.com

As Mark noted, we used the handicap system from the Avaloncon tournaments, which I happened to win once (with Bill Toomey).

Of course, doing the replay with the new decathlete cards posted here (see my replay that is still underway), thus far (after 8 events) it looks like Thorpe is definitely not overpowered, as he stands 23rd out of 29 with two events left.

Playing this game is a great way to enjoy the last few days of Olympics coverage, I must say. (And with that being said, it may be confined to the closet for the next four years!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
My son & I re-fought Yang v. Johnson (I had Yang, he had Johnson) on Friday night while we watched the decathlon coverage. We both had injuries (Yang on day one, Johnson on day two) and had to play conservative... Johnson beat Yang by a mere 30 points!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info, I may try it again with the handicaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry, I noticed in your replay you had a tie for the Bronze Medal. In the real Olympics, where there is a tie in a multi-event competition like the Decathlon and/or Womens' Heptathlon/Pentathlon, the tie is broken in favor of the one tied athlete who did better than the other athlete in the most individual events; i.e., in your case, you would go back to the scores from the ten events and see which one of the tied athletes beat the other in more events. This actually came into play at the 1976 Montreal Olympics, where the Gold Medal in the Women's Pentathlon was decided using this tiebreaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
John Weber wrote:
Larry, I noticed in your replay you had a tie for the Bronze Medal. In the real Olympics, where there is a tie in a multi-event competition like the Decathlon and/or Womens' Heptathlon/Pentathlon, the tie is broken in favor of the one tied athlete who did better than the other athlete in the most individual events; i.e., in your case, you would go back to the scores from the ten events and see which one of the tied athletes beat the other in more events. This actually came into play at the 1976 Montreal Olympics, where the Gold Medal in the Women's Pentathlon was decided using this tiebreaker.

John, I did not know that. I went back and looked at the events and Campbell takes the Bronze as he won 7 of the 10 events over Mathias.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McHugh
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Thorpe can be beaten. I saw it happen. Once.

I've played the original version of Decathlon many times, but there was only one time where Thorpe came in second without being injured or using handicaps. Rafer Johnson beat him.

100 meters: Johnson takes the lead in points right away by running a 10.5 while Thorpe came in at 10.7. Johnson 930, Thorpe 880

Long Jump: Johnson's first try results in a tremendous 25' 3" so he goes all out on his next two tries and fouls both times. The best Thorpe can do is an uncharacteristically low 23' 6". Johnson 1890, Thorpe 1730.

Shot Put: Thorpe takes this event and shortens Johnson's lead with a throw of 58' 6" while Johnson's best is 54' 6". Johnson 2770, Thorpe 2680.

High Jump: Thorpe shrinks Johnson's lead to just 20 points with a successful try at 6' 7" on his third and final attempt at that height. Johnson logs a 6' 4" result. Johnson 3565, Thorpe 3545.

400 meters: Johnson leads all the way, finishing with 47.2, while Thorpe comes up with some slow times over the first 300 meters and finishes with 48.6.

At the end of Day One the score is Johnson 4505, Thorpe 4415.

110 meter hurdles: Thorpe shortens Johnson's lead to a very slim 10 points by posting a result of 14.1 seconds while Johnson finishes at 14.8. Johnson 5375, Thorpe 5365.

Discus: After their first two attempts, Thorpe's best throw is 165 feet while Johnson's is only 149 feet. Though Johnson had given Thorpe a little bit of a scare in the early going, it looks as if this competition will end the way all of them do with a victory for Thorpe. But then on his third attempt Johnson launches the discus 172 feet while Thorpe fouls his third attempt. Johnson 6290, Thorpe 6240.

Pole Vault: Johnson has a solid Pole Vault and after seven attempts he has cleared 14' 4". Thorpe also had smooth going, clearing 13' 4", but he just couldn't clear the next height. Johnson stretches his lead going into the javelin event. Johnson 7190, Thorpe 7060.

Javelin: This is where Thorpe really lost the competition. Javelin is not a strong event for him and to make matters worse he fouled his first two attempts. His third attempt, a safe one, is a lowly 187 feet, just 22 feet farther than he threw the discus. Johnson's first attempt is a healthy 227 feet. Johnson 8060, Thorpe 7785

1500 Meters: Though Johnson has a 275 point lead after nine events, everyone who has played this game knows that Thorpe is the fastest while Johnson is usually at the back of the pack. All signs point to Thorpe being able to pull this one out in the final event. And while Thorpe finishes at 4:22, which is a little on the slow side for him, Johnson is having the race of his life. He finishes at 5:00, close to the fastest possible time for him, winning the competition by 40 points. Thorpe is beaten.

Final score: Johnson 8470, Thorpe 8430.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.