Christian Holmes
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Eee-va?
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to state that I for one am NOT in love with Agricola because everyone else on BGG is.

When I first heard about it after Essen Spiel '07, I sighed a big 'meh'. I was surprised at all of the chatter it was producing, but I was not interested, just curious. I did NOT pre-order through Z-man.

It wasn't until I PLAYED the game with my game group (one of them had a home-brewed version with Sculpey animeeples) that I became interested. The game fascinated me the way no other game had before, and I have a lot of games!

I pre-ordered through an online retailer and have been anxious all summer to get it.

Now that I have the game, I am happy as a fly in a dung pile. My fiance likes it, many of my friends are interested in playing, and I am having fun with the solo game.

Now, I am not one to get emotional over what is typed out on the internet. I fully realize that people spout out some pretty wacky stuff without thinking, but it has really annoyed me lately to hear people saying that others like Agricola just because of the "hype". I am sure there is a little bit of that, but come on, it is a GOOD GAME.

Not everyone has to like it, but those that DO have a right to like it too.

So what if it is number one on BGG list. It might not stay there, but it also COULD. Life will not change, and our games will be the same games. BGG will still be BGG.

Let everyone have their voice. Even those that annoy me.

Insert witty outro that I cannot think of right now here....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spaztian wrote:
...I am happy as a fly in a dung pile.

Must resist crappy remark...must resist crappy remark...must resist...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My situation almost entirely mirrors yours, Christian. I was looking forward to Agricola about as much as I would any other game that I had ordered in the past. I was not won over by hype, but the enjoyable game-play that came after receiving it. I continue to be puzzled by the negative sentiments that some have in regard to the positive feelings that others have for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
Me thinks you doth protest to much. Did someone accuse you of being on the bandwagon?

There is no shame in being a fanboy if you enjoy the game, live it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Collins
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's a solid game, I don't see what the fuss is about. I don't think a lot of gamers thought peurto rico was the best game out there, but it was also a solid game that had few faults. I see that about agricola as well. I've played a half dozen times now, and it is not in my top five, maybe my top ten, but its hard for me to deny that its not at least an 8.5. It's fun, and changes quickly, though i can't rate any game that has a longer setup time than die macher with a shorter play time a 9.

That said the game makes a bunch of different people happy which is all that is required to be number 1. Does not have to be the best game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Face it, you are an Agricultist in need of an intervention!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, it's not like you made an entire set of polymer clay bits prior to actually playing the game, right?

I... I may have a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
Malachi wrote:
Hey, it's not like you made an entire set of polymer clay bits prior to actually playing the game, right?

I... I may have a problem.

But that's so cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fanboy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Voisin
United States
Lockport
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really care if this game is number 1 or 50. I'm just very happy that I was able to learn about it at this site, than go and order it. Now I am getting a lot of pleasure playing it with my wife and friends, which they all seem to be enjoying very much. Now, that to me is all that really matters. It has already paid for itself with the time we have spent playing so far. The sad thing is we haven't even begun to use the cards and really enjoy this game for what it was meant to be. So, I am sure to be getting much more time with my family and friends playing this title. And my telling the wife or friends that this is the number 1 game right now means squat to them. Which it should to more of us. Enjoy it for what it is meant to do, entertain you for many many hours of happy gaming. meeple meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't going to get it at all, but then the local store here had preorder copies, preordered by themselves, for sale with the special Z-Man cards and everything. And, for sale at a lower price than most other places. So I grabbed one.

It's really good. I don't even like Euros that much, but it's a good game. Much more visceral and less abstract than most Euros. It's your house, it's not some king you're impressing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbuel wrote:
Much more visceral and less abstract than most Euros. It's your house, it's not some king you're impressing.

That's a really good point. Rather than spreading "influence", this one is much more about spreading seed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:
dbuel wrote:
Much more visceral and less abstract than most Euros. It's your house, it's not some king you're impressing.

That's a really good point. Rather than spreading "influence", this one is much more about spreading seed.

As the three offspring will attest to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Richter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Call me a fanboy if you must, but this is the first "real" board game I own that my 11 year old "girly girl" daughter will actually ask me to play.

We have Settlers, Carc, Zombies! and a few others...which she would play to make her Old Man happy. But Maggie actually LIKES the 'Gric. So for me, that's huge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Holmes
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Eee-va?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, my fiance has asked me to play several times already, and we haven't even used the cards yet.

Can't wait to play more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richtermarc wrote:
Call me a fanboy if you must, but this is the first "real" board game I own that my 11 year old "girly girl" daughter will actually ask me to play.

We have Settlers, Carc, Zombies! and a few others...which she would play to make her Old Man happy. But Maggie actually LIKES the 'Gric. So for me, that's huge.

Count your many blessings. This is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ion765 wrote:
I continue to be puzzled by the negative sentiments that some have in regard to the positive feelings that others have for the game.

I detest those who have opinions and tastes different from my own.

For instance, I prefer lemon in my water. And those who like lime... I can't STAND those people! LIMES... really! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Step #1 is admitting you have a problem...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Nott
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
What purpose does this thread serve to do other than to declare "i am not an agricola fanboy?"

What meaningful discussion or insight in to Agricola (a board game) does this thread provide?

The answer on both accounts is none.

Or to be more frank, this thread serves no purpose.

It's fine to have that opinion but to create a thread simply stating you aren't an agricola fanboy is absurd.

I made a pre-order for Agricola after I read many session reports and read some reviews based on the German version of the game. It seemed like a good game based on reviews, i ordered on faith with z-man, and now that I have the game I can actually say it is good.

So yeah, I didn't order it based on any BGG hype - the hype only added the game to my radar. The well thought out session reports and reviews detailing the mechanics sold the game for me.

I didn't buy it because everyone else was buying it. The fact everyone was talking about it only served to make me aware of it's existence.

Should I now create my own thread to talk about how awesome I am for not buying in to any hype but for buying Agricola on its merits as an actual good game?

No, I won't do that because...no one cares.

Delete this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lagduf wrote:

Wow, you have a lot of work ahead of you if you plan on policing the internet for frivolous topics.

Threads like this aren't hurting your internet.

Shall I also point out that your post only succeeded in perpetuating this thread instead of allowing it to die off peacefully?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Lagduf wrote:

Wow, you have a lot of work ahead of you if you plan on policing the internet for frivolous topics.

Agreed: Frivolous threads are going to happen, and the idea of shutting them off at the source is kind of a foolhardy one.

What I'd suggest is the Google-esque approach of working with Aldie on creative suggestions for enhancing the game thread search and organization functions to scale to large numbers of game threads (and e.g. in the case of "A have a question about a rule" threads, more easily re-titling and recategorization to make the threads easier to find and less susceptible to duplication)....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lagduf wrote:

Or to be more frank, this thread serves no purpose.

Delete this thread.

I think the purpose was to talk about the journey from skepticism to excitement. Sort of like a micro-review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Shakespeare
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola never interested me until I played it. Don't worry, I rate it a 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Nott
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
dcorban wrote:
Lagduf wrote:

Shall I also point out that your post only succeeded in perpetuating this thread instead of allowing it to die off peacefully?

Does my post serve to perpetuate the thread? Perhaps - but more so my post was to express my displeasure with the absurdity with this thread in hopes the OP would read it and not add to the worthless glut of threads that are already in the Agricola forum.

Thats right - this thread is worthless.

In a game forum already filled with enough worthless threads, we really don't need any more and I'm sick of these stupid threads with regard to Agricola.

You want to make a stupid thread about this? Put it in one of the off-topic forums we have here on BGG.

The OP's "story" is literally nothing more than a story about how he should pat himself on the back for buying a good game on the merits of the game's mechanics rather than any hype.

As if that, somehow makes his purchase of the game better than those who purchased it based on the hype.

Plus, my posts aren't hurting your internet either.

Grow up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lagduf wrote:

Grow up.

I don't want to!
I enjoyed the thread, if you don't move along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.