Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight was our first 3-player "family game", I have the first edition German language with English sleeved paste-ups.

In my opinion the family game seemed to be more difficult to feed your people than the full game, maybe we were doing something wrong? I taught the rules and evidently did not cover the "major improvements" in a full enough manor, or so the Mrs. said.

From a prior playing of the game 2-player family style, I modified the set-up to add an additional 2 wood every round. I did this because the wood would have been way too tight for the liking of this family, this fix helped to keep the game fun for everyone as nobody was ever starved out of wood and everyone was able to fence and build stables.

Now I think there needs to be a better set-up for the ability to produce food. Maybe adding "free animals" to the left of the board, or maybe to add a plow and sow, or a sow and bake bread to the left of the board, and another might be the automatic issuance of a fireplace to everyone in the beginning of the game. Remember we are trying to make the game more fun for a "family" to play. I also think the game should be 2-3 rounds less for the "family game". It took us 2+ hours to play a 3-player game and I think this may be a bit much for "family game play time".

Our almost 9 year old was able to keep up with the pace of play and follow the game just fine. The only think that kept the child from scoring better was the last harvest where he needed to slaughter all but 1 of his sheep to feed his family.

The final score was
Mom - 35 (made some really good moves in the last 2 rounds where to score big points)

Dad - 25 (didn't take the start player away from mom soon enough and only had 3 family members in play)

Boy - 16 ( had a few too many negatives due to not having any grain, vegies, and a lot of open unimproved spaces)

All in all I think this game works good as a family game but may be a bit too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
custom golf clubs wrote:
In my opinion the family game seemed to be more difficult to feed your people than the full game, maybe we were doing something wrong?

It seems generally agreed that it's more difficult to accomplish all of your goals in the "family game", because you don't have the occupations and minor improvements to help. The name is a bit odd. I would have called it something like the "pure game" or "core game". But, then, no one ever called me a marketing genius.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Graham
United States
Carmichael
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet if you started out with about twice as much food, the game would go faster, because it would be so much easier. I know it's that way on my solo games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try getting rid of the pasture rule that says only one kind of animal can be in a pasture. This will ensure there are plenty of animals to eat, provided your family remembers to buy the major improvements to cook them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The family game is quite hard, actually. The theme belies the fact that this is quite a brainburner of a game...

I actually think that the non-family game is more forgiving gameplay wise - but more complex rules wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mey-ying Kao
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. Have u only added the 2wood action card? Because you needed to have add 3 more action cards as well:
- take 2 different resources
- take 1 resource
- clay (accumulating)

I think 2 places that accumulate food (startplayer and fishing) and the daylabourer that gives 1 food and a resource are enough ways to get easy food. And with that amount of actions to get resources you can build an oven/fireplace quickly so you can get your food elsewhere.

But yes the family game is hard and less forgiving. But for learning the game it is easier I think. Because the cards only add a zillion more options/choices to the great many choices you already have in the family game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I would call it the learner game. Not having the cards, certainly makes it simpler to play - forget about the challenge, it's just to learn the gamepley. I'm concerned my kids may struggle when we introduce the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Richter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'll chime in as well and agree - the family game is easier on the rules and lessons the decisions you need to make but at the expense of options for more food and growth.

That being said, are you sure you're adding food each turn to the Start Player/Storehouse space? We forgot to do that our first game or two.

As far as wood goes, I find that in 2 player family games, it's fought over the first few rounds and then begins to pile up. You always have the option of renovation to clay (which is pretty dang cheap) to get yourself off of wood as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Lizak
United States
Fairfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think the thing that makes the cards "difficult" is the number of possibilities they give you with 7 or each type. For your kids, why don't you limit the number of cards to 2 occupations and 2 minor improvements and see if that doesn't help keep the game at their level. Once they are used to the cards, then gradually give them the full hand.

I might cherry pick the cards for them the first couple of times to make sure they get easy ones to implement and follow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Williams
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think that the common notion of "family game" is misapplied in this case. I think it is called the "family game" because that's all you have to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cutesnottie wrote:
Hmm. Have u only added the 2wood action card? Because you needed to have add 3 more action cards as well:
- take 2 different resources
- take 1 resource
- clay (accumulating)

I think 2 places that accumulate food (startplayer and fishing) and the daylabourer that gives 1 food and a resource are enough ways to get easy food. And with that amount of actions to get resources you can build an oven/fireplace quickly so you can get your food elsewhere.

But yes the family game is hard and less forgiving. But for learning the game it is easier I think. Because the cards only add a zillion more options/choices to the great many choices you already have in the family game.

Yep we had (2) get wood cards, a Clay and Stone cards to the left of the board.

Don't think i've seen the "take 2 different resources & take 1 resource cards in the box... I'll check again tonight.

The good news is that the Mrs. was saying things like " why isn't that family growth with out a room card available earlier" and "I like that 5x Resources thing you printed out from the geek" all day today. I think she liked the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fargus9 wrote:
I actually think that the common notion of "family game" is misapplied in this case. I think it is called the "family game" because that's all you have to use.

I think you have hit the nail on the head.... Yea that may be why they call it the "family game" when it shoud be called the "family only game"

GOOD INSITE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.