Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just getting into the PG system and am really impressed about how much detail they have compressed into a fairly simple rule system. That said I am really taking issue with some of the ways that AFVs are treated with respect to Assaults.

------------------------------------------------------------

The "overrun" is a staple for wargames. PanzerBlitz (the grandfather of PG) has rules for overrun. Any number of other tactical wargames model overruns in any number of ways. The bottom line is that AFVs are hell on Infantry that is not adequately protected.

I think that PG does a poor job of modeling overruns. There is no sense of "here's my multi-ton beast come to crush your feeble infantry under my tracks!"

I think AFVs should receive at least a +1 column shift when they initiate an assault. (This can be dependent on there being no AT capable units in the hex or not being in protective terrain [Woods / Town / Entrenchment / Dug In].)

The combined arms bonus is good, but does not represent the terror of a monster just running where it wants. This modifier could be in addition to or in lieu of the Combined Arms bonus.

Additionally, if the defenders do not receive the First Fire bonus, then the AFVs do. (The Infantry have to survive the overrun in order to attempt to close assault the tank.)

--------------------------------------------------------------

I think the "one hex advance out of assault" makes very good sense for infantry type units. However, I don't think it makes any sense for AFVs. Basically the AFV should be able to drive out of the hex at full speed and go where it wants.

I am playing that AFVs leaving an assault can make a full move. (They are still subject to the "Final Shot" rule if applicable.)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the Civil War! Cavalry is the most effective and most versatile unit available to you! ...Oh wait... This is a World War II game...

I am fine with the idea that Cavalry gets a special ability. The rule makes sense and makes Cavalry charges more likely.

What I don't like is that Cavalry is now more effective than an AFV. Cavalry can move 2 hexes and overrun an enemy, but AFVs can't?

If a 2 hex move is available to Cavalry prior to an assault, AFVs should be afforded the same ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a number of other 'perks' AFVs get that make a big (BIG!) difference in assaults.

You mention 'PanzerBlitz', but it doesn't even have a system to handle morale. You'll note, the more time you spend in the PzG system, that morale is a huge issue. Keeping everyone following orders is quite tough!

Compared to cavalry assualts:
- AFV platoons (often) each get their own leader, which makes recovering morale a LOT easier.
- The 'assault' chart offers up to 3-step-loss results. Cavalry and infantry may suffer this. AFVs can often avoid this. (The rule note is that 'at least one step' must be closed-top-AFV in such situations, but not all of them.)

Your point on the comparison to the cavalry charge is a good one - I'm curious what others think of that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morale was added to the PB system with the introduction of The Arab-Israeli Wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.