Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Krach
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I plan to buy Die Macher. Can someone tell me which I should buy. I can choose between the Hans in Glück version from Germany and the edition from Valley Games? Are there any differences in the components/ rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Jim, it's harder to tell the difference between the symbols for the issues, particularly when looking all the way across a large table, in the VG edition than in the 2d edition from HiG/RGG. Since matching on the issues is a fairly important aspect of the game, this is a major faux pas of the VG edition (something they seem to have a habit of doing, if you look at the colors selected in their more recent release, Container). While a few of the components are nicer in the 3d edition (and a couple of rules have been modified/clarified, nothing major though) the practicalities make the 2d edition the choice of most experienced Die Macher players. If you have both editions, though, you might want to mix and match and choose the best components from each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HiG 2nd edition. Better icons. Better colors. Better graphics. Better fonts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Krach
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your advices. I dicided to pick the HiG version now.
Besides pink is the colour of the far left "Die Linke" mostly used in tv polls. Or they use a dark -redder than red- red colour to differ from the social demokrates (SPD).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Periplaneta wrote:
Thanks for your advices. I dicided to pick the HiG version now.

Smart!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dw
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BrenoK wrote:
The VG edition is fine, but since they decided to go language-independent (and chose some poor icons to represent the ideas), I'd say you should get the Hans in Glück version if you're fluent in german.

Also, in the Vg version, one of the player colors is pink. For some reason they thought that would be cool.

How much german are we talking about on the Hans Version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Atomic Wedgie wrote:

How much german are we talking about on the Hans Version.

Titles of the Shadow Cabinet cards (i.e.: inconsequential in play)

The things you can do with the Shadow Cabinet cards (though these are also icon based).

Issues. (picture based...cleaner in HiG 2nd Edition)

Identical text on each of the poll cards that indicates you can choose one or two positive outcomes, or roll the dice if you decide to bury it.

Identical text on each of the soft money cards that indicate you can take the money and risk the worst result rolled on the # of dice shown or bury the poll and receive new members by rolling the number of dice shown, and adding the result.

As a non-skilled German speaker, I can say safely that there is little to no incentive for people to buy the "multi-lingual" Valley edition beyond simple price and availability. The 2nd HiG edition was already icon-based, and with a serviceable rules translation, no one I have introduced it to has had a problem with the German on the cards.

The HiG 2nd edition also has the added benefit of having issues which are clearly differentiated from each other even across the table; (i.e.: no messy graphic design choices) to me this increases playability a lot more than having English language text on the areas above, which are quite easy to memorize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carcass One
England
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
And how about the version made by Visual Chemistry? Has anyone heard of that one? Here's a link to an online shop in the UK that sells it:

http://boardgameclub.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
offwater wrote:
And how about the version made by Visual Chemistry? Has anyone heard of that one? Here's a link to an online shop in the UK that sells it:

http://boardgameclub.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&...

That's the Valley Games edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you suggest an online game store for the HiG version?

Thank you!

Best regards, David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the VG edition. It's no where near as bad as the above posters make it seem. It's perfectly playable and all the issues it has a very minor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Scott
Canada
Port Perry
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
I have the VG edition. It's no where near as bad as the above posters make it seem. It's perfectly playable and all the issues it has a very minor.

I just played my first game yesterday. The game is perfectly playable alright, but the design / iconography / no text choices are poor. The image below shows some culprits. (two cranes?!)

Would have been nice to have names for the shadow cabinet cards. ("I'm playing the pinwheel")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xinhao Xu
China
Shanghai
Shanghai
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it's out of stock. I'm waiting for a reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.