Subject: I'm the Boss: Surprisingly fun rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of most financial-themed games; I guess maybe I see enough wheeling and dealing during the day at work that I don't need it carried into my freetime.

So, when someone pulled out "I'm the Boss" at game night the other night, I was a bit hesitant. We'd already played a few games, and most of us were going to be leaving soon, so we needed something short -- and this game was supposedly the only one that fit the bill against games like Agricola and Last Night on Earth.

So, we played it... and I had a lot of fun! If you're looking for a good "Screw Your Neighbor" game, this is it... and then throw in "Screw Your Neighbor's Neighbor" and "Screw Your Neighbor's Neighbor's Neighbor."

Gameplay is simple, and even though there's a pretty massive deck of cards, most of them fall into one of only a few categories, so once you get a quick explanation, card usage is fairly straightforward.

The game is very unstructured, which some may like and others may hate. From my standpoint, you just really need to be in the right mood for it -- which I guess I was the other night. Basically, if you're "the boss" you can propose just about any deal with other players you want, and they may or may not agree. More likely, they'll probably try to cut a little more profit for themselves. But watch out -- at anytime during your deal-making, another player may try to hone in on the money, possibly even playing an "I'm the Boss" card, which puts them in control.

The components are fine for the purpose of the game -- nothing spectacular, but they don't really need to be. The artwork is solid, if somewhat cartoony (not too much, though). There is a rather neat mechanic where once a deal on the board has been made, it is "blacked out" so you cannot land on it again; the other side of this "black out" marker is actually the tile that shows you the amount the deal was worth -- so it's a fairly efficient way of killing two birds with one stone.

If you're looking for a fairly quick game that encourages interactivity with your fellow players, you might enjoy this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.