Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Everyone I've talked too thinks the Siege Tank is quite weak in the boardgame.

In the computer game, the Siege Tank was delightful. About half of Terran strategies revolved around tormenting opponents with its absurdly long range. It exploits ridge lines and spotters. It can be built in to a web of bunkers. It's cantankerous but powerful.

In remembering the computer game, the Siege Tank always comes near the top of the list in terms of people's favorite quotes and personality.

That's all missing from the board game. It's a boring piece of blue plastic that stays out of play. Its sculpt is even in mobile (tank) mode, not the emplaced artillery mode that one sees more often. It's just not right I tell you!

I'm trying to think up fixes that will restore the romantic ideal of the siege tank. Thumbs up the posted solution that works best for you, or post your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
No Thank You
Thumbs this up if you feel the Siege Tank is good enough as published, or you hate variant rules. Fooey!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
+Specialty Support icon
This proposal gives the two "Siege Mode" cards a dual role. They can now also be played as specialty support cards if there is a friendly siege tank in the skirmish. The card text remains the same: Ground Splash Damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
+Splash Damage
Simply add "Ground Splash Damage" to two of the existing, non Siege Mode siege tank cards. Probably the 7/7 Goliath-Vulture-Tank card and the 7/8 (but +1 attack if Siege tank) Goliath-Tank card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Ölmestig
Sweden
Halmstad
Halland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
+Specialty Support icon
I like this one as it makes sense to how the tank is used in combat. I haven't tried it myself, but I don't think it will over power the siege tank. Maybe it will be a must to research siege mode when having siege tank, but I have to say that is the case in the computer game too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Permanent Tech
Maybe one "siege mode" card could be set aside in your play area as a tech permanently in play with the effect:

All siege tanks add "ground splash damage" in combat, whether they are a font line or support unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
how about a pre-combat ability to denote the siege mode 'long range'? (of which you can only ever use one start of combat ability)

Something like an additional amount of damage, a support bonus to any other skirimish, give a unit other than the siege take ground splash?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I kind of like that idea, something along the lines of:

Indescriminate Justice wrote:

Play face up in your play area when you research Siege Mode
If you have one or more siege tanks anywhere in the battle, you may add Ground Splash Damage to a single front line unit in any skirmish of this battle. Declare this unit before cards are revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds about right Good, but not too good. Especially since you can only play one 'At start of combat' ability per battle.

I still think that the siege tank requires the 'siege mode' upgrade cards, it needs the extra 'umph' in value to compete with other tier 3 units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Ziegler
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
i actually think it's alright in the board game...but thats just me lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian G.
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I think the tank rule could is something along the lines of this:

After researching Siege Mode the Siege Tank may be used as a deep support unit meaning it does not support any 1 unit but stays farther back from battle. At the beginning of a battle the player must declare he is siege-moding one of his tanks.(he may do this ability only once per round but does not need a card to do it, instead the seige mode card after researched stays out for all to see) The seige moded tank uses the top battle card of the combat deck to additionally target any enemy frontline, support, or assist unit of his choice.. The tank may then do the damage specified. Ground splash damage still applies. If any enemy melee unit wins a skirmish it may charge up to the tank and kill it at close range.
This demonstrates the way in which the tank was used in the computer game and exposes its weakness of up front attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
It is perhaps worth going back to the way I expected "Splash Damage" to work prior to actually reading the rules (but having read several reviews):

Add the unit's support values to the attacks of all other friendly front-line units in the skirmish. Example: Siege Tank faces a Zergling, Goliath faces an Ultralisk. Seige tank blows the snot out of the Zergling, and therefore contributes it's +2 support to the Goliath's attack on the Ultralisk.

Of course this has the problem that an inferior number of units could never defeat a superior number of front line units, because there would always be a survivor for the defenders. The definition of victory might have to be changed to "killing all an opponents front line skirmish units", but this seems unethical because I can then use a zealot to reliably attack and defeat an Ultralisk/Zergling pair (by always attacking the zergling).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
First Strike
Okay, to borrow from the Attack Range / First Strike threads:

Plasma Cannon
Play this card face up on the table for free when you research Siege Mode.
When your front line unit is a siege tank, resolve it's damage first. If the enemy front-line unit is destroyed as a result of this attack, opponent's attack strength becomes zero. If an enemy support unit is destroyed as a result of this attack (perhaps because the front line unit was flying), it does not add its support value to the skirmish.
If two siege tanks with Plasma Cannon face each other, ignore both cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Emplacement/Advance Tactics
Emplacement/Advance Tactics
Play face up on the table when Sige Mode is researched. Attacking Siege Tanks receive +1 health for every friendly ground unit in the skirmish. Defending Siege Tanks receive +1 health for every friendly ground unit in the battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Freemasonman
United States
flag msg tools
I like the idea behind these fixes, especially the Emplacement one, but it seems to me that they make the tank TOO powerful. It may be thematically true to the RTS, but all of these fixes will render the terran superior to the other races by a margin, from my perspective. I dunno, could just be my lack of experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.