Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked at your profile and you don't even have any games rated, so it's impossible to predict whether you'll like these games. There is a ton of info already on this site, both from proponents and detractors, and a thread like this basically just encourages people to repeat what they've said before.

You can find my own opinion of the games here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/181434
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bonaparte at Marengo is a very good game, but I think Napoleon's Triumph is a bit better. Much more complex, and if you've learned BaM first, NT will throw you for a loop.

Have never played Nappy Wars, so can't comment on that.

Also, check out Age of Napoleon. I like it a lot, though the rules are a bit tricky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an old Grognard(been wargamming since the 60's)and I need convincing too.I haven't played a block game yet although EF II is probably my next purchase.I have only played one CDG and liked it.I will also be buying PoG soon.I have checked a lot of these newer types of games out and just haven't gotten that excited about many of them.I was away from the hobby for a bunch of years.I'm just an hex and counter guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YoungGrognard wrote:
Napoleon at Marengo more than Napoleon's Triumph because it's smaller and a little simpler

My feeling is that the two games are about the same complexity, but that NT is a lot more fun for these reasons. And, NT is in print & readily available, whereas BaM isn't. (Check out the BGG marketplace prices for the two games--the cheapest copy of BaM is $90.)

(And, with NT's team rules, you can teach the game to several people at once!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, until 2000 or so, I was throughout my teens a young grognard. My wargaming horizon didn't extend much further than World in Flames in those days.

I was convinced hexes were the best manner in which to depict terrain on a map and had reservations about areas and point-to-point maps (though I didn't mind it in lightish wargames such as Britannia).

For the People changed that for me. I had kept away from the CDG genre given my point-to-point reservations and such. Yet the heavy dose of politics FtP has, made me buy it despite that and impressed with the design, I soon also got myself Hannibal, PoG etcetc.

I came to appreciate the command & control limitations imposed by the cards and somewhat soured on the god-like powers many a traditional hex 'n counter game bestows upon you.

And it did not take long for my prejudice against point-to-point maps to entirely evaporate since that map design approach can effortlessly portray terrain and channel play along realistic lines. Hexes and p2p maps both have their advantages (as do area-based maps - which are in a way p2p maps without quite the same design flexibility).

My advice is to try out lots of different wargame subgenres. Blocks, area impulse, CDGs, the Simmons system etcetc. There's a ton of info out there. You'll have to decide what to buy and try out. No need for us to convince you. It's all there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.