NICK WATKINS
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone please help me settle this debate (and where it is in the rule book)?

from the english rules you follow game setup-
1-layout board
2-color and followers
3-family sheet
4-overview card
5-****get 6 cards discard down to 4. shuffle discards back into deck
6-pick victory card
7-random start player
8-get money starting with 12, 13 etc

then you turn the rules page...you see heading- object of the game
next page-how to play
now it describes the phases
phase1 is card placement*******
in phase 1 cards are placed on the board.etc.

Question:-there has been a debate as to how can someone choose the 2 cards they discard -without- seeing what was intiially seeded on the board (to make a better choice)

Do you -randomly-discard 2cards ---then--- add cards to the board to start?

Not sure if this was some house rule variant-
it would be good to find out how others have interpreted this-
please chime in..
(and if the game company can give an official answer at some point or FAQ on their website)

thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 11 times and in each case discarded before the cards are laid on the board as per setup in rules i.e phase one starts after discards.

No one else I've played with seems to put off by this lack of information, it is all speculation.

Any discards get reshuffled in, hopefully to appear again in first round. I tend to keep pairs if high values or a spread of high values or leaders, hope that helps.

Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played someone else's copy so I don't have the rules, but we always discard before anything gets placed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
ESPNY wrote:
Question:-there has been a debate as to how can someone choose the 2 cards they discard -without- seeing what was intiially seeded on the board (to make a better choice)

Do you -randomly-discard 2cards ---then--- add cards to the board to start?

As you point out, the rules state that each player discards two cards before laying out cards for the round, so that's how to play the game.

The trick is to decide which cards to keep based on which cards might be subsequently revealed: Do you keep a pair (or two) of cards, no matter what they are so that you can try to claim a faction (or two) on turn one? Do you keep one or more high-valued cards and hope to find a match in the first batch of cards? The choices you make initially (that is, non-random discards) will depend on your past experience, the number of players, and which version of the game you're playing.

Eric
Editor, http://www.BoardgameNews.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phase 1 is laying out the cards, and discarding 2 of your 6 cards is part of the set up phase, so when you discard the cards the cards have not been laid down yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answers here seem pretty much in agreement. The one thing I would comment on is that the two discarded cards from each player are used to start the discard pile, not re-shuffled before the first deal. I don't think that's a formal rule, but that's always how I do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wylann wrote:
The one thing I would comment on is that the two discarded cards from each player are used to start the discard pile, not re-shuffled before the first deal. I don't think that's a formal rule, but that's always how I do it.

No, the rules are dead clear on this one.
Quote:
Shuffle the faction cards and deal six to each player.
Each player immediately chooses and discards two of the six, facedown.
Once all players have done so, shuffle the discards back into the deck and place it facedown near the game board to form the draw pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.