John Fortune
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off - I really love this game - it is very fast and fun. There is enough meat there to make you think about strategic possibilities while not bogging the game down. This is like a real time board game.

On to my question - How can we create a points system using these rules? In other words, I would like to build an army - like in warhammer 40k, or flames of war - using points and company organizatioin design limits so that I can fight a customized battle scenario against someone else with an equal army list.

Is this possible?

I can't wait for expansions - I want some Americans, British, Japanese, Italians, desert scenarios, beach landings and bombers.

Thanks,
John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Burke
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best part of "Historic" gaming is the challenge of unequal forces fighting a battle researched by the scenario designer. Generally the victory conditions for each side are tweaked to somewhat equalize the advantage of the force size and construction. If you're really interested in creating forces read some books about your favorite battle or theater of the war and try your hand at scenario design and playtest it with your friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
SANTA ROSA
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Is this possible?

Sure; it's even being done. Uwe has mentioned in other threads that he's already putting together a pointing system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Burke
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:
Quote:
Is this possible?

Sure; it's even being done. Uwe has mentioned in other threads that he's already putting together a pointing system.

Wow! I wanna say that's counterproductive to the whole historical genre but interesting to say the least. I can see it to a certain extant in a miniatures game where you want to parade your "Desert Rats" or Tiger tanks you've spent weeks painting up. I'm curious to see how this plays out. Nothing beats a historic scenario in my mind, many have led me down roads in research and reading that I wouldn't have normally taken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fix
United States
Sterling Hts
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:
Quote:
Is this possible?

I mentioned this to Uwe at Origins. At first he was not sure about it, but I mentioned that since he was going to have a scenario genrator on the CoH site, then some scenario designers might want to have some kind of barometer for the general "worth" of a unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fortune
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is very very exciting - I would very much love a points system. I would also like to see some kind of campaign system be developed as well.

I totally understand that the historic gamer may be turned off by this - can you satisfy both kinds of players at the same time? I love historic scenarios but I also love building armies and gaming. Maybe Conflict of Heroes isn't right for this in some people's minds, but in my opinion it would be an excellent enhancement.

Either way, I love this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Roper
South Africa
Hout Bay
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If are looking for something to use in the interim, take a look at this thread http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/333950

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Kahler
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Forgive me if I am wrong but I believe that this game was designed as historically ambiguous. The missions as a whole were not the actual missions fought in WW2, but CoH represents fights that Could Have Happened during the Barbossa campaign. Or really any combat during WW2 (just add different combatants). If the game were designed to represent historically accurate combat then it would be like "Enemy at the gates", "Tobruk", "Gettysburg", "Antietam" etc., where these systems have one large playable mission. There are certainly some great aspects of these beautiful games. Realistically speaking once you move your first unit, roll the first die (or Dice), then the historical accuracy starts to degrade. The beauty of CoH is that the games system works for any tactical battle, during WW2.

With that said. I believe that a point system as it were or mission creator, allowing 2 to 4 players to have meeting engagements, or attack-defense type missions randomly generated, will greatly add to the replay ability of CoH. You can still try to be "Historically Minded" when creating a point system. I agree with the original poster that a Point system would be a good addition to the already great system. Having only played solo at this point though, I can wait for a bit in baited anticipation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that a point system and a random scenario generator could add some replay ability.

At the same time, "balanced" and "random" does not necessarily equate to "interesting".

The designed firefights give different objectives that are varied and interesting. And there is more than just points that determines the balance of a scenario (for instance, how far away each side is from an objective.)

I think that point systems will be of help for people designing firefights, and a random scenario generator would make for a quick starting point for a designed scenario, in general if all you play are random scenarios, I think they'll start to feel pretty samey quite quickly.

Personally, at least, I'd always take a well-designed scenario over a randomly generated one any day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fix
United States
Sterling Hts
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KahlerAD wrote:
Forgive me if I am wrong but I believe that this game was designed as historically ambiguous. The missions as a whole were not the actual missions fought in WW2, but CoH represents fights that Could Have Happened during the Barbossa campaign.

Actually, I beleive these are supposed to be based on historical firefights. The firefight involving the wounded general indicates that one of the officers mentioned in the firefight died during the firefight. The firefights might not be absolutely representative of the exact forces, but I believe they are based on an actual historical encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert,
You are correct in that every firefight was designed from after action reports of actual battles that took place. Our sources are both from Soviet and German archives. The only liberty we took was that it is often difficult to extract which platoon engaged whom and it was often impossible to pin down exact units under the company or divisional level.

Uwe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not more than two weeks ago I'd be all jumping up and down screaming about scenarios versus custom armies, but a similar playstyle dispute in a different forum has me much more accepting of when other people are wrong.

*snicker* Sorry, the snark-dial doesn't go to 0. Stops at 1. Nootch.

So I am very happy that people enjoy games with set scenarios, but please please please make sure you come up with a system for the (traditionally minis) style of gameplay where I can pick my force and blow stuff up without worrying about history. I would buy this in a heartbeat as a WW2 system, but not as a box of scenarios. I hope that's okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Toler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
A good point system would be cruical to an idea I have in mind.

I want to start a multiplayer campaign using the games system. Pretty much it would be territory wars with citys. Each general buys his army and on his turn is able to move or attack to another territory. Attacker starts from the side, and defender is able to set up his units, hiding them as he pleases. The attackers job is to capture the defenders HQ. The defenders job is to hold his HQ till turn five. After the game is finished, after-game would begin. Defender should retreat his units off board. Attackers job would be to kill all retreating units. So that the defender doesn't counter-attack, he has minus 2 FP for all units. After one turn any units that did not move off board count as surrendered (effectively, out of commision). Defender is forced into his nearest owned city, if not, then territory, if not, than the general counts as captured and he starts as a new general with his old amount of funds, and a pernament -1 CAP to all battles.

Territorys would not generate revenue. Owning them simply allows ease of movement. You would be able to move through three territores you control. Contrary, you have to attack and take an opposing territory to move to it.

Cities generate funds every turn, are located inside territories, and are only able to be attacked once you own the territory its in. Cities would also be a place where you can garrison units, upgrade veterans (if we want to use that), and purchase units using your funds.

To take a city you will need to capture the HQ which would be located inside the heart of the city. Only infantry can capture the HQ, and the defending player would be able to place tanks and etc on building hex's at the cost of losing the ability to move or pivot.

The player would be able to purchase fortifications for where the player is. Trenches and mines for territories. Bunkers and trenches for cities. Of course if the player is rich, he could buy a Flak for his cities.

Ok, that was probably way too much detail ^,^;...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.