Popular Tags: [View All]
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: I love this game. I've played it about 30 times. I continue to enjoy it. I continue to marvel at it's ability to appeal to a wide range of audiences and to suck players in with its incredibly streamlined gameplay. Still, the following quibble is serious, however minor it is in the grand scheme of things. Also, I apologize if this has been discussed somewhere else on the site, but I scrolled through three years of general PR threads without spotting any likely candidates.

I've been into boardgaming for about two years. Puerto Rico was one of my first purchases. I've taught the game at least 15-20 times. Almost every time I play it, there are one or more new players at the table. Sometimes I am the only veteran present. During the same time period, I've tried lots of new games, some older than Puerto Rico, some more recent. I've noticed that sometimes rulebooks in games are poorly organized, or terminology is clunky, or there are small printing errors, or translations are literal without being accurate (my favorite example being "The Scrolls of Qumran" in Thebes). Almost all of these issues can be skirted so that new players don't even see them.

Not so with Puerto Rico. Although the game is intuitive, new players repeatedly comment on the "Craftsman" and "Settler" cards. And as I wrack up more games as points of comparison, I myself am losing patience with these cards. How could roles this simple be so lamely mistranslated? Crops are planted and then harvested, not "settled" and then "crafted." Would it be so hard for Rio Grande Games to change these roles to "Harvester" and "Planter"?

Puerto Rico has been available for six years. For much of that time it has been a bestseller and the #1 game on this site. It seems like that would merit two conspicuous but clear-cut translation changes in a new printing. But perhaps the game's iconic status is more of an obstacle than an impetus. Perhaps fond veterans would grumble whenever they reached for the non-existent "craftsman" role, only to be met with looks of confusion from new players.

So to all PR vets and fans, what do you think? Does PR deserve accurate translations for its most central components? Or will changing these two words only disorient thousands of fond gamers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Helba
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect that the response you get is that, with the exception of corn, all harvested goods are immediately processed in production facilities, so you're actually, for example, crafting coffee rather than just harvesting coffee beans. As for the "Planter" role, can one really plant a quarry?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
I have no control over this. Talk to the publisher. Or you can make your own version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slider wrote:
I suspect that the response you get is that, with the exception of corn, all harvested goods are immediately processed in production facilities, so you're actually, for example, crafting coffee rather than just harvesting coffee beans. As for the "Planter" role, can one really plant a quarry?

As to the first point, I still think harvester is fine because it makes sense not to harvest if you aren't set up to sell the goods. Good point about the quarry though, but since it's a privilege, it doesn't seem as off to me. I was trying to keep all the nouns people so that it makes sense to call them "roles," instead of actions. "Cultivate" would be good but "Cultivator" is kind of ridiculous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BFoy wrote:
I have no control over this. Talk to the publisher. Or you can make your own version.

Agreed, good idea, and good idea.

I'm still curious if you notice the cards or have had similar experiences with new players. Would you prefer a change?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:

I'm still curious if you notice the cards or have had similar experiences with new players. Would you prefer a change?
Haven't noticed, nor have any newbies I have played with. No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
JohnRayJr wrote:
BFoy wrote:

Agreed, good idea, and good idea.

No I haven't BUT all the players I've taught the game to have been hardcore boardgamers. I took to PR like a fish to water so I'm not a good example either. I think its great that you are bringing new people into the hobby and I wish you the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.