Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Longo
United States
Bayville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of questions arose in my first playtest of the game.

1) The rules say that the leader gives a free growth or expansion. And it notes that after all of a player's markers are on the board, there is no more free growth or expansion, a player can only migrate. Question is: Is that a Free Migrate (to where the leader is) or is it just saying...no more free stuff, only regular migration?

2) When you lose a battle, it states that the marker is removed from the game. But the time cards say to elimnate one (or sometimes many) markers...do those markers all go out of the game...or do they go back in the player's supply?

3) Lastly, the raft can be used to move from one area adjacent to the ocean to another. We played that you did not have to pay to migrate to this new area. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1) The freebies are gone (until you have others available again), Migration costs the player as usual.

2) The rules don't say definitively, so I would say that they go back into your supply, but I could be wrong about that. We play that everything goes back into the supply so that players who, for whatever reason, are getting killed, have a way to climb back into it.

3) You still need to pay for the area, plus you eliminate the raft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Longo
United States
Bayville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response. For #1 & #2, I will continue to play the way you indicate unless an official answer is posted here from the developer which differs from that. Both questions could easily be answered either way so I do not know which way plays better (or if this was specifically playtested one way or the other).

For #3, I just read the FAQ (not sure if it is official or unofficial) and it agrees with your answer that you need to pay for the area when moving with a raft.

One thing in the FAQ did not make much sense to me though, so I guess I sort of have a question #4. It says "Can a migrating unit move through a space to another space as long as it pays for each space it enters? And the answer was "No." That does not seem to make sense.

In my opinion, you could migrate a piece from one area where you do not have dominance to another "under-limit" area. Then you could move it again if you do not have dominance there. Limiting someone to one move with a piece might be "very" limiting since in the game I just played, most units were eliminated through battles throughout the game. Moving around the last straggling pieces was the only thing in the end while waiting for the last 3 continents to break away. Anyone have an opinion on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I agree with your take on migrating units through other areas as long as they are paid for. One thing you'll notice if you go through some of the posts here is that I am a big fan of house rules, and I house rule this game quite a bit.

I think if your group agrees, play the way you like and have fun, rather than trying to be a stickler for certain rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip C. Orbanes
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
DLongo wrote:
A couple of questions arose in my first playtest of the game.

1) The rules say that the leader gives a free growth or expansion. And it notes that after all of a player's markers are on the board, there is no more free growth or expansion, a player can only migrate. Question is: Is that a Free Migrate (to where the leader is) or is it just saying...no more free stuff, only regular migration?

2) When you lose a battle, it states that the marker is removed from the game. But the time cards say to elimnate one (or sometimes many) markers...do those markers all go out of the game...or do they go back in the player's supply?

3) Lastly, the raft can be used to move from one area adjacent to the ocean to another. We played that you did not have to pay to migrate to this new area. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Hi Dean,

My name is Philip. I worked on the development of Conquest of Pangea. Glad to see you're playing the game, and hopefully having fun!

Here are the answers to your questions:

1) The leader's ability create free growth during your leader phase (first part of your turn) has no effect on migration. So, once all of your population markers have been played to the board his free growth ability has no effect.

2) All population markers "killed" in battle and/or removed as a result of the actions called for by Time Cards are removed from the game, permanently. They do not return to your supply. The sole exception to this is in the case of Asteroid Impact (where it targets Atlantis or its adjacent continent): if a player has the Foresight Power Card in hand and uses it to protect markers that would otherwise be destroyed by Asteroid Impact they are returned to that player's supply.

3) You must pay to migrate a marker, even when migrated via a raft.

Having judged literally hundreds of games of Conquest of Pangea over the last couple of years, I freely admit I wish we had a clearer set of rules (for which I blame myself in the first place). It really is a fantastic game, however it has many ins and outs and ambiguities in the rules, for which I apologize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PCOrbanes wrote:

2) All population markers "killed" in battle and/or removed as a result of the actions called for by Time Cards are removed from the game, permanently. They do not return to your supply. The sole exception to this is in the case of Asteroid Impact (where it targets Atlantis or its adjacent continent): if a player has the Foresight Power Card in hand and uses it to protect markers that would otherwise be destroyed by Asteroid Impact they are returned to that player's supply.

Hi Phil, thanks for the reply to this, I always did wonder about that. The only place in the rules regarding permanent loss to populaton markers (from Time Cards) seemed to be in the expansion under the Asteroid Impact heading. So I figured that it was specific to that circumstance.

By the way, this is one of our top 5 games, we love anything that doesn't have dice, but we really like the theme, premise and most mechanics of Conquest of Pangea, we've house-ruled a few things but definitely one of our favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip C. Orbanes
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
oatesatm wrote:
Hi Phil, thanks for the reply to this, I always did wonder about that. The only place in the rules regarding permanent loss to populaton markers (from Time Cards) seemed to be in the expansion under the Asteroid Impact heading. So I figured that it was specific to that circumstance.

By the way, this is one of our top 5 games, we love anything that doesn't have dice, but we really like the theme, premise and most mechanics of Conquest of Pangea, we've house-ruled a few things but definitely one of our favorites.

Hey Adam. First off, as I mentioned in my post to Dean, I really do wish our rules had been clearer at the time of publication. Probably one more week of polish would have made a world of difference...

However, that said, the intent was always for population markers to be "mortal" and for events and for battle losses to cause them to leave play, making them more and more precious as the game approaches the finale.

I'm glad you and your game group enjoy Conquest! I still really like it, too. I realize that's sort of a "duh" comment since I work for Winning Moves, but it's true. I still enjoy both playing and judging games of Conquest of Pangea. Which, if you think about it, is semi-amazing, considering how many times I've played it and watched it be played.

I've been reading with interest some of the "house rules" that people play with (like only doing negative actions on Time Cards when that particular Time Card triggers a break up). That, in particular, sounds very interesting and I plan to give it a try next time I play.

What are some of the house-rules that you enjoy playing with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PCOrbanes wrote:

What are some of the house-rules that you enjoy playing with?

We also use only the negative actions off of the Time Cards, but we do all of them, not just when a continent breaks apart.

The biggest change we have made is: Rather than allowing the player who drew the Time Card to decide where and to whom it affects, I created a deck of cards, each with an area of the map on it, and we choose randomly what area(s) the disaster happened, then we remove markers starting from the bottom of the stack simulating that they are least established and therefore the most affected. We like having to contend with the elements, but thematically, since you couldn't in real life predict or even anticipate them, we decided to let them occur randomly and try to adjust our strategy accordingly.

We also really like the random and unbalanced setup as it makes each game unique with it's own challenges, but if you can't get a draw to put a leader on the board when everyone else does after the 1st turn, it can set you back (often times) too much, so we allow each player to establish their leader after their first turn, regardless of setup.

A couple other things we do were included in the expansion such as the Volcano/Sulphur setup, and really, we only figured it out because in our first game the same player drew both, so we decided to start over using what are now the official rules. And the other thing we were doing that was added were the in-stack battles of the dominant player initiating an attack to defend his stack against a burgeoning power or rogue markers.

Anyway, those are the most significant changes, there may be a couple other small ones but I can't think of them off the top of my head at the moment. Thanks for the reply again, I always appreciate when designers are still involved with their games, both in playing and in communicating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.