Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Maesen
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've been a fan of Stratego for a while. My girlfriend and I play it from time to time, but less and less lately. So when I saw the new version of Stratego, I was intrigued. I picked up a copy while on a trip in Oregon at Toys R Us. On the drive back to San Francisco I peeled off the shrink wrap...

Out of the Box
The Box is a lot smaller than the original. Nice, now I can fit it in my backpack. Beautiful artwork on the cover. Inside, there are two plastic bags to put your pieces in. I kinda miss the old plastic holder that kept each piece in it's place. But, a plastic bag is fine.

Some Assembly Required
It comes with two sheets of stickers to peel off and place on each individual playing piece. Careful, put them on straight the first time or you'll never get it off.

What's New?
In classic Stratego, only three characters have special abilities. In the new version, everyone has a special power. Instead of bombs, we now have traps. One side of the battle field is fire, and the other is ice. Instead of spies, we now have slayers. Dragon slayers. And the dragon is the strongest piece with a value of 10.

Each piece can move one square at a time as in the original, or use his/her special power. My favorite being the Yeti/Lava Beast. He can move on adjacent square, reveal himself and simultaneously attacks all adjacent squares (including friendly pieces)! Another great addition is the Sorceress. She can use her power to turn lower value enemies to her side. The piece she turns to her side is now turned completely around and now fights alongside her own army! You can detect an enemy using the Mage. He can use his power to select an enemy piece from 2 squares away and force them to reveal their identity. The Dragon has the ability of flight. The dragon can glide over any number of pieces and land on the first empty square followed by an attack.

Overall
You can still play the original rules of Stratego or play with the new special powers. This has really adds a breath of fresh air to this classic game. I highly recommend you check it out! Smaller box, beautiful design and artwork with all new player movement makes this a great addition to the Stratego family!

I give it a rating of : 8.5

And, for you die-hard Stratego fans, check out Senjutsu: Dynamic Samurai Combat. It's a lot like Stratego, plus you can customize your army!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Maesen
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but I started peeling off the stickers and placing them on the pieces, halfway though I decided to take a picture.

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds quite similar to Stratego Legends without the random pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just spotted this on the shelves 3 days ago and couldnt figure out what was going on here! It says STRATEGO on the front. But the back shows what looked like the old Legends pieces.

Thanks for clearing this up!

Omega

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ornelles
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kinda sounds like a board game version of that old computer game "ARCHON" from back in the 1980's where different fantasy creatures went up against each other on a chess like board with varying attack capabilities. Sounds fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Killeen
United States
Shrewsbury
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ARCHON was an EXCELLENT computer game!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Tamietti
Brazil
BELO HORIZONTE
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought it last week. Played a few times but the rules in portuguese were translated wrong! Once we got it right, the game was nothing like the old Stratego. I loved it. And you can play a mini-stratego with classic rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.