Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
I submitted a picture I took of the Tomb of Suleiman the Magnificent and submitted it to the Here I Stand gallery (GREAT game, BTW). This is the pic:

When it was declined I was not surprised. The reasons given were "Irrelevant" and "Wrong Category." I'd submitted it under the "People" category, as this was the best correlate for the limited options provided (after all, there are putatively the remains of a person in there, right?)

How do people feel about this? Not to disappoint anybody, but I'm not upset at all, and don't really care one way or the other. I can see the argument that no one wants to see pictures of sheep in the Catan and so on, but it's a bit funny to say the pic is completely irrelevant. This is because HIS, like most wargames, is based on historical events, and Suleiman played a huge role in that era of history (and plays a huge role in the game). Furthermore, wargamers in general are very interested in history, and are often very interested in the connection between the games they play and the people and events that surround the game's setting. In other words, I bet that there are lots of HIS players who would be interested in seeing a picture that is very relevant to the history behind the game.

I guess it really comes down to a maximalist vs. minimalist argument about what should go in the game galleries. I'm firmly of the maximalist argument, and I love pics that are not simply of components, but rater show something a bit tangential to the game, such as people playing it. If storage space isn't a problem, what's the harm of letting a thousand flowers bloom, especially when the "Hot" link will summon the pics that are judged to be the best by individual users?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not relevant.

This is why Aldie created personal galleries.

Now if you had a picture of someone *holding* a Here I Stand game box while standing next to the Tomb, you might sneak it in under Creative / People.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see where you're coming from, and maybe under Creative with a good caption it would have gone through (I didn't mod it, so maybe you had a great caption). I tend to agree that it's really more suitable for your personal gallery, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really get the "personal gallery" argument. So he puts it into his gallery, I visit the game page, and I have no clue that this photo exists in his gallery. Not even a way to search for it. It may as well be framed and hanging on his wall for all the good it does to anyone else.

It should be either in the game gallery, or not. Personally galleries are not a substitute.

Personally, I lean to inclusion rather than exclusion, and it's tangentially related enough for me. That's why the categories exist, if you want to ignore the tangential stuff hit the "Game" only photos link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is with search costs. To my knowledge, we don't currently have a good way to content / quality search photos (tags are too inconsistent in my opinion). So, the more tangentially related photos in a gallery the higher the search costs in using the gallery and consequently the less useful the gallery as a whole.

Hence, for now, I support a more minimalist position. Change the tech and I'll change the position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fathers are less vigilant protecting their daughters' virginity than our valiant image modders are at protecting us from irrelevant images.
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few. "
Winston Churchill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
I don't really get the "personal gallery" argument. So he puts it into his gallery, I visit the game page, and I have no clue that this photo exists in his gallery. Not even a way to search for it. It may as well be framed and hanging on his wall for all the good it does to anyone else.

It should be either in the game gallery, or not. Personally galleries are not a substitute.

Personally, I lean to inclusion rather than exclusion, and it's tangentially related enough for me. That's why the categories exist, if you want to ignore the tangential stuff hit the "Game" only photos link.
Yeah, this was sort of my take on it as well, but, as another poster pointed out, maybe the thing to do is a forum post with the relevant links to my gallery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
Yeah, this was sort of my take on it as well, but, as another poster pointed out, maybe the thing to do is a forum post with the relevant links to my gallery.

Suppose so, but instead of adding a single item to the photos page of a game, we've added one new thread under General. Not really ahead of the game in regards to clutter if you're a person who's ag'in the photo.

Except we've "saved" one geekgold from being handed out during modding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Powers
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
JoshBot wrote:
The reasons given were "Irrelevant" and "Wrong Category."

Sometimes irrelevant doesnt mean not related but no relevant value.

I pretty much agree with it in this case. Just like I would agree with decline a pictures of nuclear power plants for PowerGrid or a fence for Agricola or a dock inn San Juan for Puerto Rico or a Japanese temple in Iwo for Shogun.

Just because something has some sort of connection to a game doesnt mean I want to see it in a games gallery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interestingly, these not only made it through modding, but are popular enough to be on page 1 out of 9 for Tikal:

So as usual, modding consistency is less than desired.
Personally, I enjoyed seeing the actual temples that the game is based on. Haven't played HIS so can't comment on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Interestingly, these not only made it through modding, but are popular enough to be on page 1 out of 9 for Tikal:

So as usual, modding consistency is less than desired.
Personally, I enjoyed seeing the actual temples that the game is based on. Haven't played HIS so can't comment on that.

Those images were submitted prior to the invention of the phrase "junking up the site."

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
Those images were submitted prior to the invention of the phrase "junking up the site."

Those images are high quality, and even to the typical uneducated modder they look relevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael confoy
United States
ASHBURN
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

Those images are high quality, and even to the typical uneducated modder they look relevant.

I am going to use Suleiman's tomb to model my new role playing game "Zombies of the Ottoman Empire." zombie

Oh and they only eat the brains of infidels too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Pierce
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
papahoth wrote:
Oh and they only eat the brains of infidels too.

Before or after the infidels are drawn and quartered?

To the OP,
I only geekmod if I'm VERY bored, but for what it's worth, I would've accepted the image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Rizzo
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it. Cool pic, and I would have appreciated it in the game gallery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the caption?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to say "People" is the wrong category, or allowing for that fact that it is a tomb of a dead person some what obtuse.

Under "Creative" and with an explanatory comment I reckon I would have approved it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Irrelevant. You could enter dozens if not hundreds of pictures like this for any historical game on the site. I'm looking for images of the game, not a history slideshow. The only time I'd consider approving something like this might be for a wargame entirely focused on a single, specific terrain feature (like a battle for a hill, perhaps). Then it might be interesting to have a single picture showing the real-life battlefield to get some context. But for Here I Stand? The game has a dozen or so leaders and tons of interesting historical events. Why is Suleiman's tomb more notable than any of the other hundred or so other historical images you could find?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    You can sign me up for the history sideshow. Caption appropriately please.

Unfortunately, the angle the photo was taken at makes it difficult to discern what you're looking at. Best guess is you didn't bring a 12-foot ladder with you on vacation, which would have made for a better shot. Something to consider on your next trip to Europe.

Had I modded this I would have rejected simply because it's a tough-luck photo. I have no problem with the concept, merely the execution.

There are some magnificent photos on the site of Alhambra and Tikal and I think the games' pages are better for it. If the photo captures the imagination, it should be in.

Unfortunately, I think there's more than a few Bots, both software and liveware, stomping on the decline button and issuing a random excuse why. Were someone to forbid the auction of geek gold for cash for a month or two it might have an effect on what is accepted and what is not.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
A few weeks ago I created a thread in the Here I Stand forums for my pictures. They are also in my Gallery, captions and all. Note that Ed Beach, the creator of Here I Stand, liked the pics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.