Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Though this post isn't about HIS as a game, I'd strongly suspect that the average HIS player has an interest in history, so I suspect that some of you out there would enjoy seeing some pictures concerning Suleiman the Magnificent.

This is Suleiman's mausoleum:

The mausoleum is behind Suleymaniye Mosque, one of Istanbul's most famous mosques, built by Mimar Sinan, who was the most famous Ottoman architect at the time.

The following are several pictures taken within the mausoleum. Suleiman's tomb is the largest one. I noticed that the data given in the photo does not match what is on Wikipedia.

This is the mausoleum of Roxelana. It was closed when I visited. Suleiman's mausoleum is on the right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Beach
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Josh: Great pictures. I *so* want to get to Istanbul one of these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ed, I was hoping that you wouldn't think that the pics were just clutter. If you ever get to Istanbul, while it's mandatory to see the "big" sights (Hagia Sophia, the Harem at Topkapi, among others), be sure to take the time to see the Istanbul Archaeology Museum and the Askeri Muze (Military Museum). Both of these places are not busy, and contain mindblowingly large and complete collections. From 1500-1600h every week day, mehter plays. Mehter is supposedly the oldest known form of a military marching band, designed to frighten the enemy in battle.

Edit: Corrected errors and added the video link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really! As a player of Here I Stand you should know that Sulemain cannot die but will always survive to game end. This "Tomb" is clearly a fake!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning" - Dr. Reiner Knizia
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that John Cleese leading the band?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Glennie
Canada
Regina
SK
flag msg tools
badge
How Wrin Bu Lai, Whai Wrin Bu Jwo!
mbmbmb
Wow, great pics! Thanks for posting them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Spain
Coruña
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same idea as the OP and I was glad to see he had already beat me to it. So, in a very HIS act of one-upmanship I give you... the alleged tomb of Ibrahim Pasha.

It's hidden at the end of an alley between ATMs nearby Findikli tram stop. I happened to rent a place nearby by chance. There's a recent plaque reading Sadrazam Pargali Ibrahim Pasa (1494-1536).

Even though it's unconfirmed than Ibrahim was buried anywhere, if that was the case this is the place that matches the rumours. A couple years ago Turkish TV ran a series about Suleiman, Roxelana and Ibrahim. After Ibrahim was killed, fans flocked to this place to pray. http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/visitors-flocking-to-grand-...

I'd like to think that it's true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Moores
United Kingdom
LA
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
JoshBot wrote:
Thanks Ed, I was hoping that you wouldn't think that the pics were just clutter. If you ever get to Istanbul, while it's mandatory to see the "big" sights (Hagia Sophia, the Harem at Topkapi, among others), be sure to take the time to see the Istanbul Archaeology Museum and the Askeri Muze (Military Museum). Both of these places are not busy, and contain mindblowingly large and complete collections.

But sadly the exhibits in the military museum are listed out in a 1950's style and contain exhibits that deny the Armenian genocide and laughably inflate Turkish operations in the dardanelles during WW1. Indeed alot of money was clearly spent on both of these rooms, perhaps I wouldn't have been quite so angry if the Armenian genocide room wasn't entitled "Armenian massacres of Turkish civilians". (or something equally awful)

I've travelled all over the world visiting military museums but whilst the Egyptian, Iranian and North Korean military museums were plain funny the Turkish one was just profoundly disturbing and offensive. The cover up and active denial of the genocide (of which I have absolutely no interest in btw) left me feeling sick and horrified. I would personally never visit Turkey again and would actively discourage anyone from visiting the museum and funding genocide denial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.