Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bastien
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fahim and I met today for another round of Corunea. Iain joined to watch us playing.
Fahim had prepared a nice 60 cards deck for his Swordmaster.
And I wanted to give a try with the Defiler and its Afflictions.

A very bad start for me on the bids as we rolled twice for ties and I lost both.
Fahim ended up winning all the bids: position, initiative, climate and menace... Geez !!! surprise

At that point, I was not very confident, especially when looking at my 7 life points. Also I had built my deck just before playing, and hadn't played Corunea for about 2 months, so overall, I didn't know how to play this situation at all. On top, it was a small arena with only 2 spots, not so good for a Defiler fighting a Swordmaster cry

Then it got worse for me: Fahim's character started to play with its Twin Blades and I really had to use most of my Faharn to avoid them (dice were not on my side either).

Fahim kept going like that for few rounds until I was left with no Faharn and not so many cards in my hand either. Fahim had also placed an Effect on me to reduce my Channel. I didn't succeed in placing one single Affliction in the meantime. Finally, I was down to 4 life points. Worrying. soblue

I decided to move, and succeeded, I was expecting the Swordmaster to rush on me and finish me off but he decided to recover. I did recover as well, got few Faharns back.
I also decided at that point to keep the Fahrans for the Afflictions rather than for rerolls (Should have done that earlier probably).

Then, the game started to change hands. And the luck too. cool
I started to get the Initiative. my Defiler managed to place 1 then 2 then 3 Afflictions which were quite powerful (most Fahim's skills were reduced by 30%).
At the same time, Fahim discarded his Effect on me, by playing a Master Attack that failed.

Then Fahim started to recover over and over again to get rid of my Afflictions but with only 9 in Mind, that gave him 18% chance on every try. And the dice never quite agreed with that: he might have discarded 2 after around 20 throws !!! And the Afflictions kept coming back anyway...
One of them was a periodic acidic damage which after 4/5 turns managed to reduce the 13 life points of the Swordmaster to nil.

Quite a good session I found, especially because of this big change of initiative/luck in the middle. No one would have bet on the poor Defiler after seeing the few first rounds... But she did survive and finally won. surprise

Corunea always gives to me this feeling that it's very deadly and on the other hand, there are so many ways to survive (reroll, cards, sustain...).

Oh, sorry guys, for playing a bit slowly, I was struggling today with the deck / rules. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Triffitt
Australia
Five Dock, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So... I left too early....

(congrats!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.