Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spencer Beni
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule 10.10 states that generals are displaced if they lose all CUs as a result of (among other things) the Naval Table. However, they are not displaced if they lose all CUs due to the Attrition Table, the Storm at Sea event, or Battle Casualties roll.

So what happens to the general if he loses all CUs under any of these conditions? I can't seem to find this in the rules. Does the general stay on the board (alone), or is he removed from the game completely (as opposed to being displaced, which would allow him to come back)?

1. What happens to the general if he loses all CUs as a result of the Attrition Table? Is he removed from the game immediately? Is he allowed to continue movement or stay in the same spot that he was?

2. What happens to the general if he loses all CUs as a result of the Battle Casualties roll? Is he removed from the game? He can't stay in the same spot since there is an enemy army there (presumably). Does he get to retreat? If he does retreat (alone), can he now be displaced if the retreat causes additional CUs to be lost?

3. What happens to the general if he loses all CUs as a result of a Storm at Sea? Is he eliminated? Does he return to embarkation port? Disembarkment port?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McCaffery
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
1. The General wanders about a leader w/o an army. Easy to pick off, however, there might be reasons why the opposing player wouln't want to kill off the General, namely he's effectively impotent w/o an army to lead.

2. Removed from play, but to be ressurected next turn (unless Hannibal or Scipio, in which case they are done for good)

3. Not 100%, but I've always played he's dead /removed (until next turn)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Beni
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinmccaffery wrote:
1. The General wanders about a leader w/o an army. Easy to pick off, however, there might be reasons why the opposing player wouln't want to kill off the General, namely he's effectively impotent w/o an army to lead.

2. Removed from play, but to be ressurected next turn (unless Hannibal or Scipio, in which case they are done for good)

3. Not 100%, but I've always played he's dead /removed (until next turn)

Those answers make sense, however answers 2 and 3 sound exactly like displacement (i.e. the general is removed and then comes back, unless Scipio or Hannibal). However, the rules state that a general is NOT displaced in those cases. If he's not displaced, then it seems to me the only remaining possibilities is that the general is permenantly removed from the game (like Hannibal or Scipio) or is left on the board somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Sokulski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that only Scipio Africanus and Hannibal are permanently removed from the game if lost - rest is just displaced = they'll come back in the next turn/strategic phase of the game :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i had this same question tonight.

it seems silly to include that generals do not get displaced as the result of battle casualties if they still get displaced as soon as an attacking army moves against them. I guess there is a difference if your general is defending or attacking. still it seems wierd.

i could be defending, lose all my boys on the attrition roll (making the retreat roll useless) and than NOT be displaced simply because I took so much attrition? if I had taken less attrition (and there by had to roll for retreats) Id end up being WORSE off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.