Belgium
Webbekom
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo Session with one Investigator only
Azathoth as GOO

It is time for me to make this manuscript available to the public. The threat has increased to such horrific levels, that I cannot withhold this information any longer. So before I lose all sanity myself, I will provide you with the information that came into my possession quite recently...

Joe Diamond, a Private Investigator, was on a new job, which sounded simple enough - pick up a statue at the Providence Museum and deliver it to a guy at the Silver Twilight Lodge. The money was good, and the dame who gave him the job seemed sincere.

Sadly, things seemed not to work out that easily for Joe. The statue went missing, two people were killed, and strange cultists were on his trail, and all the clues lead to Arkham. Lady Luck can be funny that way. What follows, is the story told by Joe in his manuscript...

Entry the 1st

I had already tried talking to the Sheriff, but that flatfoot proved to be worse than useless. With only a few clues, I left the Police Station, lighting one of my cigarettes from what I believed to be my 'Lucky Cigarette Case'. I made sure my .45 Automatic was ready in one pocket, and my flacon of the best Scottish Whiskey in the other.

I refrained to take a sip from it, when I overheard the Police Station's radio stating that a mysterious Rusty Train had arrived that day at the Train Station, disgorging 2 foreigners of a rather eldritch aspect. I soon realized they were looking for me.

From the few clues I had gathered up till then, I knew I had to move to the Black Cave to investigate the whereabouts of the statue further. When I arrived, it was already dark. I happened upon the remains of what seemed a previous spelunker. When I came closer to investigate the body of the poor fellow, the body began to bloat, and it finally split open, releasing the horror within: a Byakhee. It shrieked and flapped its wings. I thought of the empty shell of a beetle, and the soft loam of rotting earth. It cocked its carapaced head at me, black teeth clicking against each other. My mind turned almost blank, but I still had the resolve to use my .45 on that hideous thing. Needless to say, it had shrieked its ill-sonorous sounds for the last time.

Entry the 2nd

My best move after such a mind-bending encounter was to visit Arkham Asylum. I spend some of the advance money the dame had given me to secure me the best and quickest treatment one can get. That morning, a small advertisement in the newspaper caught my attention, stating that a Man in Black, residing in one of the French Hill streets, could help people develop their psychic powers. I did not spend any more thought about it, since these things tend to cost more than one is able to afford.

Entry the 3rd

Another headline, with the title "South-side Strangler Suspected" got more of my attention. It told about the mysterious killings related to my case, but it is clear the press was mistaken. I know for sure these murders were caused by 2 other-worldly monsters which are now wreaking havoc on the South-side Streets.

My next stop was the Old Curiositie Shoppe. I realized my .45 Automatic would probably not suffice to tackle future dangers. It was by sheer luck that I found an Elder Sign tucked away on one of the shelves, which I bought immediately from the not-suspecting store owner.

The owner also told me about Tom Murphy, how he had left town because he could not handle the mysterious things happening in Arkham.

Entry the 4th

The day proved to be exceptionally Sunny and Clear. My investigation for the missing statue led me to The Witch House. I had learned that some bizarre freaks performed hideous rituals over there. However, I had to sneak past a Star Spawn first, and later past an Elder Thing. I succeeded, although the Sunny and Clear weather did not help much.

I had just opened the door to the Witch House, when a terrible force sucked me into a gate to Another Dimension. When I arrived in that strange world, a ripple in the air passed over me, but nothing happened. Further exploration revealed nothing but barren wastes. There was no statue to be found.

Entry the 5th

My stay in Another Dimension came abruptly to a halt because of a strange Power Flux that plagued the city of Arkham. My body was transported back to Arkham, but not - as I expected - to the Witch House, but to Independence Square. Apparently another gate had opened there some time before...

Using the Elder Sign I bought earlier, I was able to close and seal the gate at Independence Square permanently. A task, I must say, requiring a lot of concentration and physical endurance. After sealing the gate, I took a small sample of the greenish slime that was left on the spot were the gate was just a minute ago.

Entry the 6th

My clues about cultists using the statue for possible rituals, pointed me in the direction of the Woods. I prepared to travel there, and was aided greatly by a Merchants March on Crime, which eliminated an Elder Thing roaming the Merchant District streets. It would have blocked my passage, which now is completely free.

However, another inter-dimensional gate was hidden in the Woods. I was sucked in and appeared at the City of the Great Race. I tried to locate my statue among the incomprehensible artifacts, but to no avail. Turning around a non-euclidean corner, I ran into a Hound of Tindalos, which was lurking in the shadows. Realizing that my .45 would be utterly useless, I had to think of something else. Apparently its sight was affected by the strange geometry as well, since I managed to Evade it successfully.

Entry the 7th

This time, I did get back to the Woods through the gate. I now had enough clues to be able to close and seal it without an Elder Sign. There was again an amount of greenish slime, of which I took another sample with me. Another thing I noticed was the high temperature. It seemed as if a Heat Wave took control of Arkham. I hope no storm will come of it.

Just as I planned to leave the Woods, another (or was it the previous one?) Hound of Tindalos haunted me in the Woods. The Heat Wave degraded my fighting skills, but I was able to Evade the Hound successfully. Inspired by the incomprehensible artifacts I saw at the City of the Great Race, I was off to Ye Olde Magick Shoppe!

Entry the 8th

Browsing the shop, I saw an interesting book sitting open on Miriam Beecher's desk. I moved closer, but just as I approached the tome, I dropped my Lucky Cigarette Case. Kneeling down to pick it up, I noticed the cursed insignia on the book. As fast as I could, I left the shop in order to avoid the curse. In my great haste, I forgot my Lucky Cigarette Case...

Outside, I noticed the weather had changed into the much feared storm. I had to hurry now...

Entry the 9th

Eliminating the odd places in Arkham, I now definitely wanted to investigate the Unnamable, which I knew held a lot of clues for me. With great haste I moved over there. Unfortunately, the ceiling beam suddenly buckled. I was just swift enough to get out and move to the streets, getting all the clues I could from that derelict place.

Passers-by tell me a rumor about a Great Ritual being prepared by Cultists, Witches, Warlocks and High Priests. It will increase the number of gates dramatically if they succeed, paving the way for a Great Old One to enter our world.

Entry the 10th

I firmly believe they need my statue for this ritual. I also realize that gates need to be closed and sealed asap. Combining both objectives, I move to the Witch House in order to go to Another Dimension, look for the statue again, and close and seal the gate if possible.

On my way, I had to sneak past a monstrous Shoggoth, whose stench was unbearable. Rising to the surface came a terrible cry, "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!" It must be because of its cries, that it did not hear me sneaking by. I never thought I would be glad to see the roof of the Witch House appearing. I quickly opened the door...

Entry the 11th

Again I entered Another Dimension. The unending blackness terrified me, but - after what I've already seen - my will was strong enough to cope with it. However, I knew I was not safe there. Soon I ran into another Byakhee. Encouraged by my previous encounter, I decided to fight it immediately. Its hideous appearance made me drink my flacon of Whiskey, in order not to lose my sanity. Needless to say my .45 did his job well, and I blew four holes into the creature's malformed body.

Returning back to the Witch House, I successfully closed and sealed the gate. A third sample of the greenish slime was taken by me.

Entry the 12th

Outside, the storm was replaced with an Evil Fog. It prompted me to change my approach as well. I remembered that I had to deliver the statue to someone at the Silver Twilight Lodge. That place surely would have more clues for me.

When I arrived, I heard the quiet sounds of an intruder. I found a woman dressed in black. She attacked me as soon as she saw me. I tried to subdue her, but she escaped! Damned, I'm sure she had the answers to all my questions, because I truly believe she was the dame that gave me the job in the first place.

Alone in that house, I noticed the greenish slime in my pockets which I collected from the sealed gates. I decided to get it analyzed at the Science Building of the Miskatonic University.

Entry the 13th

While I was waiting for the analysis, I read in the local gazette that a Goat-Like Creature was spotted in the Woods. The recent increase of strange happenings caused Richard Upton Pickman to leave Arkham as well...

The analysis did come up with some useful clues about the gates, so much that I decided to go through another one. I went to the Black Cave again. The Evil Fog made it easy for me to Evade a Star Spawn in the streets leading up to the Black Cave.

Entry the 14th

No corpse of an unfortunate spelunker this time, nor the remains of a dead Byakhee. A big whirling gate to the Dreamlands was present. Without delay, I entered the gate! The colors over there were blinding, and they slowed down my movement considerably. And then it happened! A stone face revealed to me one of the deepest secrets of the dreamlands. The sight claimed my last shred of sanity and I was Lost in Time and Space!

Entry the 15th

God knows how long I was lost in Time and Space. I woke up in the Science Building, and noticed immediately that my .45 was missing. It was clear I had to let them analyze more of the gate samples if I was to control the other dimensions with more success.

While the scientists went to work, I learned what had happened during my disappearance. An Egyptian Exhibit had visited Miskatonic University. Who knows how much information I could have gathered by reading the strange hieroglyphics on the exhibit's artifacts. After the exhibit was gone, there was a strange Planetary Alignment, but since I am not sensitive to mystic energies of whatever kind, this alignment was of no consequence to me. There were also messages about a strange island that was noticed in an area where no island should have been. It must have been the mythical R'lyeh rising out of the deep waters. Last but not least, the amount of hideous creatures roaming the outskirts of Arkham had been increasing dramatically, leading to the closure of the General Store.

Entry the 16th

I decided to search for a gate nearby. So I was off to the Unvisited Isle. I passed its gate to the Dreamlands.

Being better prepared, I managed to sneak through the pinkish rays. Unfortunately, I failed to discover a vital document containing the location of the statue.

Returning from the Dreamlands, but to the Black Cave this time, I successfully sealed my 4th gate.

Entry the 17th

I fear for my life now. I learned about a group which is set to do my Good Work Undone. Furthermore, the increased rate of gates appearing also increases the amount of monsters on the street.

I barely manage to move from one location to another. THEY ARE EVERYWHERE!!

One desperate visit to Hibb's Roadhouse to get more clues. However, a pickpocket cleans me out, and I lose all my money, including the rest of the advance the dame gave to me;

The Good Work Undone group succeeds in its task: all my seals are destroyed...

This was the last entry I found in the manuscript of Joe Diamond. I do not know his whereabouts. I can only assume he gave up his investigation and left Arkham. At least, that's what I hope, for sure staying in Arkham would have been his ultimate doom...

Enjoy,
Patrick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dair Grant
United States
Martinsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great write up. What a fun way to make a session report.

No wonder Joe lost. A solo fight with Azathoth waiting at the end is likely to end poorly. He will be missed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool format, esp. liked the green slime ! One point caught my attention.

swinkelp wrote:
Entry the 11th

Again I entered Another Dimension. The unending blackness terrified me, but - after what I've already seen - my will was strong enough to cope with it. However, I knew I was not safe there. Soon I ran into another Byakhee. Encouraged by my previous encounter, I decided to fight it immediately. Its hideous appearance made me drink my flacon of Whiskey, in order not to lose my sanity. Needless to say my .45 did his job well, and I blew four holes into the creature's malformed body.

Returning back to the Witch House, I successfully closed and sealed the gate. A third sample of the greenish slime was taken by me.

Entry = turn, at least it seems to me. Hence this sequence seemed odd, given that on his first OW trip Joe did spend 2 turns there. Unless the OW encounter specifically said "return to Arkham and close/seal the gate" (there are cards for that, so it could be the case here), if the encounter only says "return to Arkham", you have to wait until Arkham Encounters phase of the following turn to try and close/seal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Swinkels
Belgium
Webbekom
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rauli,

Initially I started with a turn per entry, but after some time I was not able to maintain that format, since too little happened in some turns... Several turns were merged into one entry as well...

Patrick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Guy
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swinkelp wrote:
Rauli,

Initially I started with a turn per entry, but after some time I was not able to maintain that format, since too little happened in some turns... Several turns were merged into one entry as well...

Patrick

Yeah, having done a solo report myself I know you have to take liberties with the timing to make for a good story.

Oddly, I had just finished writing up a solo Joe Diamond session when I came upon this thread...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.