Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
1. the Combat Unit markers have different numbers on the two sides. I did not realize this and may have added some wrong numbers.

2. for purposes of political isolation at the end of the year, an army can be used to support a group of friendly PCs right? Does it have to be standing on one of the friendly PC in that group, or one space adjacent away from that group?

3. To flip over PCs, one must have just one CU? We've been flipping over only where our generals are. But apparently, you can leave a trace of CUs, then flip over more PCs at a time.

However, what happens if an enemy army led by a general fights my CUs (with no general)? The CUs cannot avoid battle, withdraw, or intercept right? But they can retreat on the first battle turn (to reduce attrition)? And the enemey army must end its movement?

This changes the game a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:
1. the Combat Unit markers have different numbers on the two sides. I did not realize this and may have added some wrong numbers.

I'm not sure what clarification you are looking for here, but like many similar games, Hannibal uses markers with different values front to back.

drunkenKOALA wrote:
2. for purposes of political isolation at the end of the year, an army can be used to support a group of friendly PCs right? Does it have to be standing on one of the friendly PC in that group, or one space adjacent away from that group?

IIRC, the PCs need to be able to trace a path of PCs to the supporting army.

drunkenKOALA wrote:
3. To flip over PCs, one must have just one CU? We've been flipping over only where our generals are. But apparently, you can leave a trace of CUs, then flip over more PCs at a time.

Yes, all it takes is a CU to convert a space. The Generals are needed to activate the CU to move, but not to use them for political needs.

drunkenKOALA wrote:
However, what happens if an enemy army led by a general fights my CUs (with no general)? The CUs cannot avoid battle, withdraw, or intercept right? But they can retreat on the first battle turn (to avoid attrition)? And the enemey army must end its movement?

This changes the game a lot.

A leaderless CU have a tactics rating of 0, which is why they cannot avoid, withdraw, or intercept. Similarly, they cannot retreat from battle until they get the initiative. Without a leader, the only way to get the initiative is to match a Double Envelopment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
They can't retreat? Can't they choose to retreat by not matching a battle card? They have to be able to retreat right? Or else how would the battle ever end?

What's IIRC?

Thanks for the reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They would retreat as part of battle losses, which would not avoid losses. If the defender does not match the attackers card, the defender loses the battle and the round counts for losses. I haven't played in a few months, but I believe the number of rounds are determined by how many cards were played by attackers, not defenders.

I was referring to withdrawing, which is what I thought you were asking about. I think you were asking about the retreating, but considered an unmatched attacker card as a non-round which I think is incorrect.

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.