Subject: Turn 1 Economic Advantage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a game with friends where one was holed up by himself with buffer expansion planets and he decied to take his first turn and just buy workers (with a single build order). He then used his 3 other orders to completely screw with everyone else plans on turn one and draw 3 event cards (scoring a scouting forces card to bolster his home world).

Turn 2 he had 14 workers! In the end he had a couple more workers than he had resources, so mabye scaling this strategy back some to spend 2 of the 7(or 8) resources to pick up a couple of units or a golden build order might be a good idea.

Would this be a viable strategy? (this or a variation of) or would you think that you would get clobbered on turn 2. I know that this only works if you have buffer planets to prevent turn 1 rushes.

As a note, this would yield maximum benefit from your workers over the course of the game.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing is, I think, that it's hard to really screw the other players just through order placement on the first turn. And the strategy is also dependent on having not only a buffer zone, but enough ressources on your starting planet - a thing I rarely seem to have.

But I can imagine that building more workers early on might be a good strategy. Only downside is that workers take two turns to pay for themselves. So you would in fact not reap the benefit until later in the

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its definately situational and a gamble, I don't deny that.

I know that there have a been a few games where I have played aggressively early game and did not buy enough additional workers to fuel my economy mid game... (and have consequently suffered when I lost a few workers on a counter attack!).

Sure that workers take two to pay for themselves, but on that second and third turn, you will be able to make up for it with a big bang of units You can fuel build lots of units, mobilize, build more units on the new world to fuel a second moblize on someone else world. Do some leap frogging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I'd never thought of doing this. Neat idea; I think I'd have to start on Pridewater or similar before I was willing to try it though. Just to clarify, what did you mean about screwing with other player's orders? If noone can reach you turn one, then you can't place orders on their planets either, surely?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Kester wrote:
Hmm, I'd never thought of doing this. Neat idea; I think I'd have to start on Pridewater or similar before I was willing to try it though. Just to clarify, what did you mean about screwing with other player's orders? If noone can reach you turn one, then you can't place orders on their planets either, surely?

All you'd really have to have is a mutually adjacent planet They wouldn't be able to get to your homeworld if they aren't right next to you, but you could still have a planet in between that you can both reach.

Remember, you don't have to have a transport leading to a planet to be considered "adjacent" to it (you just won't be able to move there if you happened to place a mobilize order unless you build a transport first).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I have seen this strategy employed successfully. The planet setup had the dude on a planet rich in resources, then a buffer planet rich in resources, then Victor V. It was a 3 player game and the only way in or out of his compound was Victor V. The other two players squabbled over Victor V, and the isolated player was so rich that he built every model in the air track, built all his reavers, and was starting on Archons by the time the game ended. He won every battle.

Okay, the 3rd player was a little green, and made some greivious errors on planet placement and diplomacy.
angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I meant by screwing with other players orders is that you have the opportunity to do so. If you are syncing all your resources into workers, then you will have most likely 2 (or 3) orders that are defunct (not really useful). In placing them on other peoples stacks, you can potentially screw up the ordering for them to expand and build on expansion worlds etc. Delay them some to ensure that you are around for turn 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mwdalrymple wrote:
He then used his 3 other orders to completely screw with everyone else plans on turn one and draw 3 event cards (scoring a scouting forces card to bolster his home world).

I may have read the rules wrong, but I seem to recall that you can only place orders either on planets where you have a base, or at most adjacent planets to where you have your base. That means only on those buffer zone planets, not on other's home planets. I may have that rule wrong, but at one point I remember looking it up to see if it was legal to charge across three or four systems in one turn, and I seem remember something to the effect of being limited by not being able to place orders just anywhere. Anyone have the rules handy??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
You are correct, Matthew.

Thinking about this more, I think workers at 100% interest per turn sound like a good deal, but there are some limitations:

1) The need for bases and transports will slow this growth down after turn 1.
2) In most cases military might or tech actually compound faster than 100%. If your base is being buzz-bombed by cloaked wraiths, then building Orbital Defense Lasers (with Detector) will probably pay off faster, because you'll hold your existing base and stop hemorrhaging military units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it still definately situational and the two situations that you listed are prime examples of it.

You really need the buffer to make this happen and be in a position not to get rushed or be put into a bad situation on turn 2.

Air defense is such a great module.. and sometimes you need it on turn 1!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Idolomantis diabolica
msg tools
mads b. wrote:
Only downside is that workers take two turns to pay for themselves. So you would in fact not reap the benefit until later in the
Even less than two turns! Because next turn you will be able to build better units or some building you can't build now.

But build max-workers at first turn is not the best strategy!
1) one must build some barracks and do some research every turn in order to reach hi-tech units. When skrimishes begin, one can have no free order to research, only 3 times mobilize... In some cases one build 2 barracks first turn
2) in some cases it is important to build second base during first turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.