Subject: How much playing surface is necessary? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T.W. Man
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a very quick question: in general, how much table surface do you need to play this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Swenholt
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say 2 feet by 3 feet is enough for a one-on-one match.

We used a 4 feet by 8 feet space for a five-on-five match a couple of weeks ago at Skirmish '08, which also works out to about six square feet per combatant pair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I've played 1-on-1 dogfights on a 4-foot round table with excellent results. You have to play the edge as well as the other player but that adds to the game.

Bigger may not necessarily be better.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A typical card table is enough for small battles. Any more than that and you spend way too much time closing, which is tactically uninteresting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For demos I've had 10 and (once) 11 people on a 4x 8 table. Makes for a 'target rich' environment, but never felt too crowded.

Doing this with minies, you definitely want to keep each plane's card handy, for there will be times when you need to put cards on the table because a space does get crowded.

When the game first came out, I was disappointed in the size of the cards. But I've gotten used to them, and realize the effect on playing space is another place where bigger would not be better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.W. Man
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow, this many answers in half an hour

Well, I guess the table I have (about 4ftx4ft) is plenty of space then. Thanks for the quick answers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our main playing surface is two meters square. This seems ideal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:

Too big. Try using a quarter of it and you get the Jack Dempsy effect. The Fokkers really come alive in the tight space.

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Sagrilarus wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

Too big. Try using a quarter of it and you get the Jack Dempsy effect. The Fokkers really come alive in the tight space.

We've played on smaller surfaces. For a while our main area was just over a meter square, then a 1.5 meter circle, then 2x1 meters and finally 2 meters square. The 2 square meter playfield has proven the most interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

We've played on smaller surfaces. For a while our main area was just over a meter square, then a 1.5 meter circle, then 2x1 meters and finally 2 meters square. The 2 square meter playfield has proven the most interesting.

That's curious. We started bigger and moved smaller.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Glennie
Canada
Regina
SK
flag msg tools
badge
How Wrin Bu Lai, Whai Wrin Bu Jwo!
mbmbmb
Our regular weekly game nights are in a pub - so we play on a pool table.

Worked well so far with 4, 5 and 6 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mb
Thomas_de_Monet wrote:
Our regular weekly game nights are in a pub - so we play on a pool table.
Worked well so far with 4, 5 and 6 players.

Hey Stu:

I would show up for that. I did not know there was any Wings OF War action at the German Club. PM me or Email me if you want to plan for a game. I have all the minis so far and would dearly like to get a large scale game in.
-Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

I'll eat a bit of crow on this one. I got the opportunity to play Wings of War: The Dawn of World War II and the smaller table was insufficient. The biplanes can spin on a wingtip, but the WWII planes do not turn quickly at all. I recommend at least 4x4 feet, more if you can get it.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.