Popular Tags: [View All]
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of hype, but whats the truth? Here are some comments made here on the geek that caught my eye.

Rating it a 1
"Playing this game is like a round of soggy biscuit. Everyone sits in a circle playing with themselves until there's a winner. But ultimately everyone who played is a loser."

"The theme is dumb. The game is extremely fiddly. But there is some replayability in the game. "

"This isn't a game. I've never seen it, nor do I believe it exists. It's actually a huge prank, who's sole purpose is to expose just how pathetic some of the people on this site are. The hissy-fit/Nerd Rage that has come from this game is staggering in it's intensity and hilarious is it's complete irrelevance. I never knew how many fat middle aged losers who got pantsed in gym class this site had."

Rating it a 2
"Best example of BGG Hive-Mind in action."

"It has almost no player interaction, what there is being limited to 'I took wood pile #4 which was 1 wood larger than woodpile #3.'"

Rating it a 3
"[2008-03] After some more plays it left me totally cold. It sure does have great mechanics and great components, but it has absolutley no player to player interaction. It's nice to play solitaire, but with more players I don't want to play it again. Downrated it to a 3."

"It never feels like you get to enjoy advancing your farm "

Rating it a 4
"Bored to death with this game! Theme doesn't get me at all! Never enough time to actually I never expect to play this one again unless everyone else in the group wants to play"

"Really not my cup of tea; too dry without the cards, to much opportunity for interlocking card draws with the cards and too long of a game for what I get out of it either way."

Rating it a 5
"I'm feeling a whole lot of meh out of the gate. "

"A very nicely produced game, but not very interesting."

Rating it a 6
"Overly complex, with too many things going on and too many rule exceptions. Sometimes thematic, sometimes not"

"Not really a great game. Kind of like Caylus, but with more resources and less of a point. A flop in my opinion. "

Rating it a 7
"A cute game that appears to have depth of tactical options. "

"Surprised at the excitement over this one. Very busy, very complicated and quite challenging if you get a bad hand of occupations/improvements at the start."

Rating it a 8
"Had a good time playing this with the family game, looking forward to trying the game with cards."

"Another optimization game, yet smells fresh and have so much options that it will be played a lot. Very good gameplay, very good components, very good graphic design. I like it (surprise!)"

Rating it a 9
"Can easily see this going up to 10. What a game!!!"

"I was surprised to find that Agricola lived up to the hype surrounding it on the geek. I find myself thinking about the game when I am not playing,"

Rating it a 10
"Whine whine whine... want some cheese? "

"Well, what can I say...it is one of the most outstanding games I played in the last years. A modern classic of german boardgames, thank´s a lot, Uwe!!"

Wow, quite a difference of opinion. Is it good, is it bad, no way to tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude,

Time will tell...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hanratty
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FNH1 wrote:

Erm... what? Play it yourself and make your own decision, the BGG rating system isn't the holy grail of game evaluation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After 5 months on BGG, I find the pertinent question NOT to be:

Is this a good or bad game?

but,

Is this a game I (and my family) will enjoy playing? and playing, and playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's rated #1. Every game will have its detractors. Having never played the game, I don't really have an opinion. Except that the farming theme doesn't exactly call out to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"It has almost no player interaction, what there is being limited to 'I took wood pile #4 which was 1 wood larger than woodpile #3.'"

Lol, although I like the game, I laughed at the truth in this statement!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
radioshed wrote:
the BGG rating system isn't the holy grail of game evaluation.

And all this time I was thinking it was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FNH1 wrote:
Lots of hype, but whats the truth? Here are some comments made here on the geek that caught my eye.

Umm..isn't the fact the bad comments go with the bad ratings and the good comments go with the good ratings meaningful?

In this case, the 2741 7+ ratings (out of 3253 total) is a pretty strong indicator.

But anyways, you leave out an important piece of info, what do your geek buddies say about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Simple solution is that everyone needs 10 accounts for each of our various personalities so we can accurately rate each game 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10 to please everyone and cover every possible point of view.

Yes you can just rate each game a 5.5 and achieve the same result but that would be dishonest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.