Popular Tags: [View All]
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently started painting my Descent figures and I am very happy with the results so far. Now the question is...how should I store them?

Before painting I managed to fit Descent base set + Well of Darkness and Road To Legend all in one box (the base set box). but all the figures are just sorta haphazard tossed together.

I'm worried that this will screw up my paint jobs.

I'm wondering how people store their painted figures (for any game) and it anyone has a good single-box storage solution for Descent that will help protect the painted minis. Maybe something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-3650-Size-Tackle-Box/dp/B000E3FK...

I'll probably be picking up the upcoming expansion too so I'll need extra space for that.

-E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
You have tons of options - for a simple example: http://www.nobleknight.com/ViewProducts.asp_Q_ProductLineID_...

If you check some of the online retailers (or even just Google "miniatures cases") you'll be whelmed by choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
The "standard" way that painted miniatures are stored is by using foam cutouts specifically designed for this purpose. (See the link Roger provides for an example.) There are many, many varieties of these along with options to combine multiple trays. Note that this significantly increases the volume required to store them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
Hi

I chose a time consuming, pricey, and needlessly complicated method, that worked quite well for me. I stored the minis magnetically. I bought magnetic bases from Litko Aero @

http://www.litkoaero.com/

I mounted all of my minis to these, and then stood them up on boards covered with magnetic sheets. The magnetic sheets I got from these guys in long rolls:

http://www.custom-magnets.com/blank_magnets.htm

I put the boards with the standing minis into clear storage boxes on foam risers. I also got good results from using cookies sheets that magnets could stick to. You can get cookie sheets in a variety of sizes at the local Safeway. Sorry - No pictures, as it's all in storage.

PROS:

1. You can lay the boards with the minis on them on in the open, and readily see everything.

2. Put more minis in a smaller footprint.

3. Some crazy dudes actually uses all three dimensions to store minis, hanging some upside down and others on the walls. Double and triple your storage!. Works great with metal tackle boxes that magnets will stick to.

CONS:

1. Pricey

2. Time consuming

3. Heavy.

Respectfully

Falloutfan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I encountered this problem when I first started trying Warhammer. The "official" solution was a plastic box with foam insert as recommend above. What my friend and I did was to forgo those in favor of gun cases which could be had very cheaply. They are essentially the same thing complete with foam inserts. You just have to cut the foam to your personal tastes.

Edit: If anyone reading this would like some Warhammer Fantasy stuff, geekmail me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
I know that this is not the recommended solution, but it works for my painted set of War of the Ring. I just thew my minis right back into the box the way they were before. Now, I was very careful in the painting process to make sure that the paint would be unlikely to chip--I washed then primed all the figures before painting, then followed it up with a couple of coats of Testor DullCote. But I haven't notices much damage to the paint at all, and the convenience of being able to store everything in the box is significant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.