China: The Middle Kingdom» Forums » Sessions

Subject: My first game session rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
cheuk ki ho
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played the game with 4 players on Sunday, 24/8/2008. The early 12 turns game have been played with set up from 1:00 p.m., we have finished the game at 5:45 p.m.

The Purple player won the game (Qin or Chin). We have found the game required balance from the invisible hands of the players interaction though in certain case, we cannot tip the balance even with the help of all three players against the winning player.

Factions are very fragile in this game. They ususally survive for one turn only, unless you are able to occupy a mountain area.

The system also encourage countries to prey on each other by eliminating the other fractions. You gain extra armies (due to arrive on next turn) if you eliminate the last army of another countries (which ranges from 1 to 5, usually 2, depending on the countries you eliminated).

At the end of turn 12 for our game, only 3 countries (and players) were left, Tang Chinese, and 2 other non Chinese countries (1 just arrive this turn and the other one being controlled by the Tang Player).

It may be too early to conclude this game as unbalanced as we might need to play 5 to 6 more games so that the players are familiar with the game situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Christie
United States
Pembroke
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is interesting to note. In our last game, Purple finished a distant fourth and never felt like he had any chance of winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Co
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played the game yet but looking at the rules, I am quite surprised purple did not have a chance to win, they have a few very strong factions namely the Qin, Yuan(probably the strongest faction in the game and vying the Japanese for this position.) and Nationalists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cheuk ki ho
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My second game session
We have completed the whole game today, beginning play at around 10:30 and finished by 17:50. Purple won again, the VPs are:

Purple: 161 pts.
Red: 151 pts.
Blue: 147.5 pts.
Green: 145 pts.

Seems that the game balance for full game is OK.

If we finished the game by turn 12, the VPs are:

Blue: 103.5
Purple: 80.5 pts.
Red: 72.5 pts.
Green: 67.5 pts.

Interesting statistics:

By turn 2, Purple gain 42 points by Qin alone.

At the end of the game, only 10 communists armies remain on the board.

Bug of the game, certain province never revolt, making it possible for certain countries to plan ahead before rebellion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Lai
Hong Kong
Unspecified
Tsing Yi
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think the reason why Qin gets 42 points by turn 2 is that the other 6 warring states do not fight each other. In my opinion, it's better for the non-Qin players to fight amongst one another so that the three of you can get scores of eliminating each other. The 6 warring states would be wiped out by the Qin anyway. So, why let the Qin player get those elimination VPs?

In history, the 6 warring states did not form a united front against the Qin. So, the above strategy matches history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.