Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent Keith
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Brent Keith here, one of the Tomb designers. I know questions abound, and I am at this very moment working up an FAQ. In the meantime, please feel free to either check out the threads on our forum, or ask away in this thread.

Thank you for your great response to the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bartel
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Brent,

Tomb looks to be an exciting foray into the world of boardgames for AEG. Can we expect more, both from you personally and from AEG as publishing company, in the future?

I look forward to seeing Tomb arrive at my FLGS,
Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We get a FAQ before we get the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you give out review copies?

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano Santuari
Italy
Trento
flag msg tools
mb
Will we have a FAQ document with regular updates on the site? Will we have a "new" rulebook with all the updates, to print and put in the game box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any limit to the amount of tomb cards that a crypt can contain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon H

Baltimore
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When can we expect the game to be published?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadrin wrote:

I'll second that question!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging One wrote:
Sadrin wrote:

I'll second that question!

I'd say that it has been published, as it was being sold at GenCon.

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cappello
United States
Pasadena
MD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
nobeerblues wrote:

Each crypt has a number printed on its door (1 thru 5). That is how many crypt cards that particular crypt can hold.

jimmcmahon wrote:
Aging One wrote:
Sadrin wrote:

I'll second that question! :what:

I'd say that it has been published, as it was being sold at GenCon. :D

Jim

We were told at GenCon the end of August / beginning of Sept, and I noticed they changed the website release date to Sept 2. So I would say Sept 2 is a good chance =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sippi wrote:
nobeerblues wrote:

Each crypt has a number printed on its door (1 thru 5). That is how many crypt cards that particular crypt can hold.
Not so fast there pal. Let's say you step into a crypt that is currently at maximum, turn the cards and it has a monster with an ability that can add more monsters to the crypt from any other crypt on the board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Zinser
United States
California
flag msg tools
Each crypt starts with the number of cards on the door. If an action causes more cards to be moved to that crypt than it starts with all of them can stay at the Crypt, unless specifically otherwise noted, even if you flee back to the Inn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cappello
United States
Pasadena
MD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
As with all other games, cards always superceed the rule. So yes, if a monster says "reveal the top 3 (or 5, i can't remember) tomb cards and add each monster reveled to this crypt" then you do what the card says.

When you are seeding the crypts however, you go with the 1-5 cards. Extra cards aren't added until the monster is revealed during a crypt raid, not during the seeding phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sippi wrote:
As with all other games, cards always superceed the rule. So yes, if a monster says "reveal the top 3 (or 5, i can't remember) tomb cards and add each monster reveled to this crypt" then you do what the card says.

When you are seeding the crypts however, you go with the 1-5 cards. Extra cards aren't added until the monster is revealed during a crypt raid, not during the seeding phase.
OK, well then we have a problem. In two games so far we have had a situation where the Shadow stone Gargoyle is revealed causing the CM to search another crypt adding any monsters to the crypt with the gargoyle. This usually results in a party flee. The next group that raids that crypt, reveals the Gargoyle and again triggers the ability adding even more monsters to the crypt, and eventually resulting in another flee. This cycle repeats itself until there are too many monsters in the crypt for any typical party to defeat.

I have been gaming a long time. I understand the way that cards work in games often superseding the rules. My question here really stems from this card, my experiences so far with this game, and the other cards that are similar often creating crypts that are impossible to beat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Shaw
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nobeerblues wrote:
Sippi wrote:

OK, well then we have a problem. In two games so far we have had a situation where the Shadow stone Gargoyle is revealed causing the CM to search another crypt adding any monsters to the crypt with the gargoyle. This usually results in a party flee. The next group that raids that crypt, reveals the Gargoyle and again triggers the ability adding even more monsters to the crypt, and eventually resulting in another flee. This cycle repeats itself until there are too many monsters in the crypt for any typical party to defeat.

I have been gaming a long time. I understand the way that cards work in games often superseding the rules. My question here really stems from this card, my experiences so far with this game, and the other cards that are similar often creating crypts that are impossible to beat.

Is that so bad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sshawmd wrote:
nobeerblues wrote:
Sippi wrote:

Is that so bad?
Well considering that the game is not ended until all the crypts are looted, having any crypts that are impossible to loot makes the game impossible to finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cappello
United States
Pasadena
MD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Shadowstone Gargoyle: When revealed, look at the face down Cards in one other Crypt and immediately move any Monsters there to this Crypt.

Yeah, its nasty, but with a little bit of strategy and memory, you can work around it.

It basically gives a player a free Treasure/Trap room, at the expense of another player getting their face smashed in or running like a little girl back to the Inn. You usually don't go back into that crypt until most of the Tomb is cleared out, or you've built a big enough party to deal with the additional monsters that will appear. And while it seems brutal, there is always the chance the Crypt that Shadowstone Gargoyle targets will have no monsters in it.

Just kill the Gargoyle and then run, or remember not to go in until the end of the game when all the crypts are already cleared out. You almost always choose who takes damage, so just choose a sacrifical lamb and gain 4xp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it just comes down to experience with playing the game, and since it is new we have been fooled a couple of times. Players attempt to assault the Gargoyle's crypt and even more monsters join in, player flees and another decides to try, only adding even more monsters! Next time we will just have to yell at everyone to kill the Gargoyle!!!devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cappello
United States
Pasadena
MD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I believe we made the same mistake with the gargoyle the first few times we played back when the game was in its beta stages. We quickly learned to find the monster than has the biggest impact to the crypt, even if it was the lowest EXP, and slaughter it first. Most CM won't attack with the gargoyle first, so killing it first also prevents an attack against your party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Shaw
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nobeerblues wrote:
sshawmd wrote:
nobeerblues wrote:
Sippi wrote:

Is that so bad?
Well considering that the game is not ended until all the crypts are looted, having any crypts that are impossible to loot makes the game impossible to finish.

Ahh, then that IS bad -- sorry for my inept post -- I dont yet have the game. It sonded pretty cool to me that one room may be nigh-insurmountable, but clearly thats not the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
If the Inn is Burning, and you have to flee. Where do you go?

Are you just not allowed to Flee, or since you're not technically 'moving' to the Inn. Are you allowed to go there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nobeerblues wrote:

Impossible? Can't you use hit and run tactics to clear the crypt?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
nobeerblues wrote:

Impossible? Can't you use hit and run tactics to clear the crypt?
Once the room gets a few extra monsters in it, it gets pretty tough. We tried this, and each time the crypt is revealed, more monsters pour in. You can get a TPK pretty fast as we found out. I suppose if all the players cooperated, and everyone was experienced enough, it could be handled, but the times we encountered this it just made the game drag out too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh. If the rest of the tomb was cleared up and everyone left didn't want to go into that last scary crypt, I'd just call the game there then. I can see where that wouldn't be as satisfying though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
Eh. If the rest of the tomb was cleared up and everyone left didn't want to go into that last scary crypt, I'd just call the game there then. I can see where that wouldn't be as satisfying though.
It really is no big deal. As sippi pointed out above, players will get used to knowing that you GOT to kill the Gargoyle asap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.