United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall there once was a feature where you could get a listing of all games, and you could edit your collection from that list.

However, in the current format, I cannot find that list anymore.

Is that feature no longer available? I'd like to try to revise my Collection and Want Lists, but I don't want to be hassled by going game by game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Well there are over 35,000 games in the database now. Might be faster to go through your list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Well there are over 35,000 games in the database now. Might be faster to go through your list.

Sadly, Aldie, I'm discovering that a number of games I've owned are no longer in my possession, and I'm certain to have forgotten others. With over 700 entries in my collection, I just may have to make wholesale changes. Even with 35,000 entries, it might be simpler for me to go 50-100 at a time than to go to each game in my collection, one-by-one.

So, am I to take it that the previous feature did not carry over to this current format?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browser.php?itemtype=game&sortb...

You could browse by name there, then click to open the page, then add it to your collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
As an aside... I would never have guessed that there were 35000+ different boardgames in existence (of course half of those are Monopoly ).

5 years ago I would have thought maybe 15000 tops. Anyone have any idea approximately how many more there could be out there? Another 35000? 50000? At what pace are games added to the database monthly and is that pace slowing as we have fewer and fewer "undiscovered" games left or is it speeding up along with the growth of the BGG community with ever more eyes looking for them across the globe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting point. Someone asked me just the other day if there is a way to upload their collection from Excel so that they wouldn't have to go in one-by-one to enter all their games.

Either of these options (a browser where you can add to/edit your collection without leaving that screen OR uploading via spreadsheet) would be very good features on BGG.

Maybe there could be a downloadable Excel file with all games in it and columns where a person could enter "Y" for check box entries and comments and such, then re-upload? And if the build of that spreadsheet pre-download could be filtered (e.g. only games with at least 5 owners or only games with at least 10 ratings...), the task could be whittled down significantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
Interesting point. Someone asked me just the other day if there is a way to upload their collection from Excel so that they wouldn't have to go in one-by-one to enter all their games.

The problem is that there USED to be a way to do that. And that's what I've been hoping there still is in the current format. But apparently there isn't at the moment.

I understand if it wasn't utilized enough to warrant its inclusion in the most recent upgrades. But if it IS still around, I'd love to know how to access it.

I'm planning to do a complete overhaul and re-inventory of my collection. And a mass-adding method would greatly facilitate this undertaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
What preview button?
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't necessarily need to be spreadsheet based since it would probably be easier to support some sort of intermediate format such as a simple comma separated or tab delimited text file. I believe Excel is capable of importing/exporting both, as are most database systems. What database software does bgg use anyway? SQL Server, Oracle, DB2, Ingres, something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
As Aldie implied, but did not explicitly say, there is no longer a way to go through the entire database of games in that way. I can't promise that something similar won't return at some point, but it isn't currently in the works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.