Chistopher Frazier
United States
Barnegat
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I always have felt this game would easily be in the top 100 right now if it wasn't for those early mold issues, or as some may call it, "mold-gate."
I believe it may still someday climb into the elite 100 if the mold issues have been completely erradicated. With Zev in control, I am very confident that the those early problems are a thing of the past. It is definitely a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ward
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
That's a very good question.

Yet the effect on me was different. When I first heard about it last fall I was all hot and bothered to buy it. Then the massive amount of mold posts here, beginning the very week it came out, brought my salivating to an abrupt end. The publisher was saying mold was only affecting something like 3% of the games. Yet I was sure I'd end up being in that 3%. So I waited. And waited. And read more mold horror stories. And waited. And read the published had recalled all copies and inspected them. And waited some more for good measure. I finally bit the bullit in June of this year. And I thanked the boardgaming gods my copy had no mold (though the rule book did smell like turpentine the first two days, until it aired out).

So I can't say the mold affected my rating of the game on BGG, as I saw none in my copy. But it certainly affected when/if I bought it. I imagine the more significant effect was ill will towards the publisher over all, which may manifest itself in people refusing to buy their products in the future. I know I would have felt that way if my copy had been full of mold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is my hope that once the 2nd edition is published (mold free) that the game will be judged by its merits. It's one of the best 'thinking games' out there and deserves a much higher rating. I suspect Z-Man has enough clout in the industry now that Zev can throw a bit of weight around if the company actually producing the components for the game tries to stiff him again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have any idea when the this problem will be solved? I would love to buy the game, but I'm waiting for the "old moldy ones" to be depleted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In e-mailing back and forth with Z-Man games, Zev mentioned that it would be at least 2009 before the game was re-printed. It is currently out of print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Second in a one horse race
Scotland
Bloxham
Oxon
flag msg tools
Cardboard rocks. It's just not the same on iOS.
badge
F&%K YOU, DODGEBALL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The game does stink and, though my copy has a mouldy box, the components, though a little damp, were fine. The board's fine too. I don't think this is an issue with Duel in the Dark per se - as I've had mouldy bits for Pandemic and 1960: The Making of the President - but perhaps a warehousing or transport environment problem for Z-Man. Traders of Carthage had no such problems, so it's obviously not endemic across their output. I've been lucky in that none of my boards have suffered from mould, just the box interiors and some of the wooden bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.