Pandemic» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Quickest Loss of Pandemic Yet.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nasia Alevizos
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
A little over a week ago myself and three others settled down to play a 4 player game of Pandemic. Everyone at the table had played before so we quickly set up the board and dealt out roles.

During the initial set up there was at least one yellow disease cube in Sao Paulo and at least two cubes in one of its connected cities. As it has been over a week I am not 100% sure which one anymore.

The first player is chosen and he begins. I believe he had the Operations Expert and quickly set off to another area of the board to establish a research station. He then draws his two cards one of which is an epidemic.

We then draw of the bottom of the deck the another Sao Paulo card. This results in one outbreak and one neighboring city on the verge of outbreaking as well as several other cities with 1 cube in each. At least one of these cities is connected both to Sao Paulo and the other city on the verge of an outbreak. We then shuffle the discard pile placing it on the top of the deck and promptly proceed to draw both Sao Paulo cards of the top.

The first of these caused tow more outbreaks, bring at least one other city to the point were it would outbreak. The second card however triggered a deathly outbreak cascade which as you can imagine killed us.

So in short one person had a turn and then we lost.

We had a good laugh but it was probably the worst luck I have ever seen in any game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is something wrong here. There is only one card for each city in the infection deck, so if epidemic is drawn on the first turn, then the city drawn off the bottom of the deck must currently be free of cubes, so the 3 cubes placed can't cause an outbreak.

I'm not sure when you talk about drawing both Sao Paolo cards, you mean 2 adjacent cities, but they can't both be Sao Paolo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gladys Wallis
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I agree. Something doesn't quite add up...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could it be that you have 2 Sao Paulo cards and are missing a city?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hickey
msg tools
mbmbmb
Nasia wrote:
We then shuffle the discard pile placing it on the top of the deck and promptly proceed to draw both Sao Paulo cards of the top.

There shouldn't be two cards for one city. You should have one card per city on the map. Check through your deck and make sure its not wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check that infector deck.

Many copies of the first printing had a hyper-city (2 copies) and a dead-city (0 copies).

Z-man will send you a replacement card if you email him.

In the meantime, figure out what the missing city is and use that sharpie!.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they shuffled the 9 starting infection cards into the deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
Maybe they shuffled the 9 starting infection cards into the deck?

Not only did he draw a card that should have been in the discard, he goes on to say that he drew the card two more times after reshuffling. Unless he's reshuffling after every draw, there has to be more than one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Matchen
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had this happen with Sydney. Extra Sydney, no Jakarta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much of all the initial Pandemic releases had duplicate cards and were missing another care. You can find refrence to this in multiple threads here on BGG. Just email Zman and they will most likely get you the right replacement. There should only be one card for each city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasia Alevizos
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
My apologies I did not realize that there was only supposed to be one of each city in the infection deck. Obviously I got an extra copy of one of the cards by mistake and thus normally this scenario would not be possible.

I will have a look and see if I am missing any cards (or if there are any other duplicates) meeple

Thanks for letting me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Hron
United States
Huntingdon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I love Games
badge
I like playing games
mbmbmbmbmb
2 Algiers and no Cairo. Once I learned of possible mistakes in the shipped decks I checke my cards and discovered this. Z man replaced it quite quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.